Help! Water contamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awnie1301

We had a big oops that we just discovered while on our summer cruise. It appears that the diesel stabilizer we put into our fuel tank at the end of last season accidentally went into our starboard water tank.

We are now on our 3rd flush of the system. We have opened the tank right up and cleaned out the inside with a pressure wash and wipe down. We have emptied the port tank and the hot water heater and flushed them all with a vinegar solution. We are thinking of moving on to bleach as the smell and taste are still there.

Would love to hear any thoughts or ideas.

What material is the water tank? Also, install a locking fuel fill. I did this after almost doing the same thing when filling my old boat. I've heard of numerous instances of people filling the fuel tank with water-a much worse situation!

Also, which stabilizer? They typically bond to the petroleum, which means the tank could be clean, but it is sticking to the water hose, which is made with petroleum product.

Have you tried dish soap? That should combine with and disperse the additive.

Orange oil is a strong cleaner and non-toxic, too. I would try it first.

Last edited:
Send a PM to The Head Mistress. Peggie can probably give you some good ideas.

Also, which stabilizer? They typically bond to the petroleum, which means the tank could be clean, but it is sticking to the water hose, which is made with petroleum product.

Thanks for your responses.

It is an aluminum tank and the majority of our hoses/lines are copper though there are some that are plastic. The additive was Biobor. I actually called them to ask if they had any suggestions. They were very helpful and assured me that I wasn’t the first to make this mistake (phew!). They said 3 solid fills/rinses should make it safe. We are probably on rinse number 4 or 5 by now so hoping we are good. They also suggested putting a bit of Dawn liquid detergent in to pull in any that might be left over. Might try that.

We wiped the inside of the tank with vinegar and boiling hot water. Hopefully this will all do the trick.

I had diesel in an alum. water tank.
I got rid of the taste of the diesel with the Dawn and then the Dawn after many rinses by adding 1 gallon ethanol/alcohol to the tank

Two more dockside rinses and no more taste or smell.
That was about 5or 6 years ago.
Water has been fine ever since. Even better as the accumulated dirt is gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom