Awl Wood Over Vinyl Letters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GBPunky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Punky
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 49 Classic
Hi,

Almost done refinishing side name boards with Awl Wood and realized I started without the end in mind. Should I finish Awl Wood and then letter over? Can I over-coat vinyl lettering with Awl Wood? Letter over Awl Wood then over-coat with other varnish? I just thought of that primer/gloss bond and started wondering.

Thanks,

I am not sure but I am guessing that the Awl Wood would melt the vinyl letters.

I would think that applying Awl Wood or any other UV protectant over vinyl letters introduces a weak point in the contiguous coverage. I'd definitely finish then apply letters.

I have Awlwood and some vinyl letters. I can do a short term test for you. But, I wouldn't do that. I'd put them over. Even if they have to be replaced annually. It is beter than any risk of having to sand things down to the wood and start over. And, if you want to used a colored Awlwood primer, it'll be easier to read the letters.

Thanks so much group, y'all are the best! Letters over the final Awl Wood it is!:thumb:

Why not paint then overcoat in Awlwood.

I used rattle can epoxy, then alight sprayed clear to stick gold leaf, then spray clear to hold leaf, then Awlwood clear.

Finished mine in a day.

Go to grandbankschoices, and dig down to see the process. Looks like they are in glass.

Back
Top Bottom