Albin 36 Trawler hydraulic steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robsfordf150

How to I top off the hydraulic oil. My upper helm steering wheels just spins and no rudder movement. My lower helm works perfectly fine.

If it's a pressurized system look for the reservoir to be in the locker ahead of the lower helm. That's where ours is and I'm pretty sure the PO didn't relocate it. It might just need an air charge it the lower helm works but not the upper. If it needs fluid, it seems you would've noticed the leak somewhere.

The reservoir is behind to lower station steering wheel. in the hanging locker. There is a sight glass along the port side of it. They hold a surprisingly large amount of automatic transmission fluid. If you have had the boat for several years and this is the first time this has happened it is probably just low air pressure. They operate at around 30 psi. Just top it off. If it has happened several times, like once a year, you should probably add fluid and look for the leak.

pete

If it's a pressurized system it is probably a Hynautic system. In that case ATF is not the recommended fluid.

ATF is fine and is in fact approved by hynautic for topping off. About the only difference I can see between ATF & aeronautical hydraulic fluid (the stuff Hynautic recommended be used when commissioning the system) is that ATF will sudz up at altitude. I personally have never been any higher than sea level in most of my boats so don't worry too much about my fluid getting bubbles in it. Plus I like ATF because it's dyed red and a leak is easy to spot.

ATF is fine and is in fact approved by hynautic for topping off. About the only difference I can see between ATF & aeronautical hydraulic fluid (the stuff Hynautic recommended be used when commissioning the system) is that ATF will sudz up at altitude. I personally have never been any higher than sea level in most of my boats so don't worry too much about my fluid getting bubbles in it. Plus I like ATF because it's dyed red and a leak is easy to spot.
Your manual must be different than mine. I took a look at a PDF version I have, there are four references like the one attached from the trouble shooting section regarding stiff steering. Hynautic's statements say ATF will result in stiff steering. There is nothing about problems at altitude. The print manual which is on the boat so I don't have it here to copy goes further saying other oils including ATF can be used in an emergency but should be flushed out as soon as possible.

It is worth noting
H5606 ISO viscosity is 15
ATF specifically Dexron III ISO viscosity is 32

I agree with you that red dye makes it easier to find leaks. H5606 is red. Seastar fluid is clear and very expensive.

Screenshot_20230117-173320_Dropbox.jpg

I have a Hynautic manual, but it's a little too large and wont upload.
If you send me a private message with your e mail address, I'll send you the pdf file.
It does state that Dextron automatic tranny fluid is ok to use.

Does anyone have a picture showing how to fill the steering fluid. I found it behind lower, just not sure how to fill it!!

For my 40 Albin Hynautic, if I didnt use the upper helm for a couple months, same no steering response action.

I would just have to spin it back and forth maybe 30 to 50 times pin to pin amd it woyld catch and work fine again till dormant.

You'll find a tire valve on the top of the tank, similar to a bicycle tire valve. Press the valve stem to release the air, unscrew the cap, add oil to about 2/3 full. Replace the cap, you may need to replace the O ring. Pump the pressure up to 25 tp 30 PSI.

How did everyone seem to conclude that the OP has a Hynautic system? I didn't see anything that indicated that he did.

On my Albin 40 it is filled at the top station. Pull the gauge panel up and out of the way and you'll see the fill cap on top of the steering pump. It probably has a small hole drilled in it as a vent. Use a long funnel to fill it. ATF is fine. Then purge by turning the wheel clockwise and counterclockwise until it burps and you can feel the resistance at the stops. I leave the funnel jammed in the fill hole during this because the level will rise and fall until all the air is out. I think I got the funnel at Autozone, probably used for filling transmissions and such.

Typical hydraulic system for a bunch of years on Albins?

But sure, brand would help.

Typical hydraulic system for a bunch of years on Albins?

But sure, brand would help.

A photo of the reservoir would also help. I let the pressure in my Hynautic system die a slow death. You know, "its probably time for me to check the steering fluid pressure. Its been 4 years". I'll do it later. Then I turned up a narrow channel and then 7/8s into the turn my steering quit at the fly bridge. Luckily I had a bow thruster as spinning the boat was difficult. It seems that when I first lost steering I spun the wheel the wrong way and now the rudders were stuck at the wrong angle. With the thruster and twin engines I got out of the channel and I knew right away what the problem must be. But, when I went to the lower helm station, it worked fine and didn't re-pressurize until I got back to my slip. So, pressure may be the culprit.

My Phoenix had the Hynautic pressurized tank system. I had to add a checklist item to make sure it was purged before spring launch or it could get real exciting real quick. About a couple dozen back and forth turns on the FB would purge the air out as long as the tank had some pressure in it. Once you feel resistance the rudder should be moving.
Capilano steering has a fill port on the top of FB helm pump. Leave some fluid room at the top, about 1/2". Do not overfill.

Out of curiosity. Will Hynautic steering work without pressure if you gravity fed the R line? So an oil reservoir above your highest pump

Out of curiosity. Will Hynautic steering work without pressure if you gravity fed the R line? So an oil reservoir above your highest pump
I think it would. If I understand the engineering behind the pressurized system it is to have a closed system allowing the reservoir to be below the highest helm pump and provide an expansion tank for the closed system. The pressure to operate the ram comes steering pumps not the air pressure in the reservoir. A gravity fed tank above the upper helm would keep oil in the upper helm and allow for expansion. But it would be an open system losing the benefit of a closed system. On an open fly bridge the tank may take in a fair bit of moisture.

The standard for many hydraulic steering systems is 50/50 Dexron III ATF/diesel#2. Diesel has good lubricity, and reduces the viscosity enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom