karcher pressure washer / desalinator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
I was having a look online to see how the guts of a karcher pressure washer (given one) handles a marine environment as I am thinking of trying it for an anchor chain blaster.

Stumbled across this mob claiming they work as a desal.
. This plant can produce up to 14,400 litres of potable water per day. It is designed for converting very saline raw water as well, brakish or marine water with a salt content between 5,000 mg/l and 45.000 mg/l into pure potable water.

The heart of the plant is a membrane filter that operates on the physical principle of reverse osmosis. In this membrane filtration step, matter with a molecular size of a few nanometres is filtered out of the water, e.g. turbid matter, bacteria, viruses, lime and various salts of raw water. So the reverse osmosis process ensures that the raw water is thoroughly cleaned in compliance with statutory regulations. Reverse osmosis is a continuous filter, i.e. the contaminants are not kept in the filter. The filter does not have to be exchanged for several years. However, the filtration and so the potable water quality remains constantly high.

A very durable Kärcher high pressure pump with corrosion-resistant duplex stainless steel is applied for the core of the WPC 600 SW. This four piston pump with pulsation damper for continuous operation with low pulsation is as all other water-carrying parts of the WPC 600 SW very durable in contact with aggressive salt water

https://www.cleaningshop.com.au/con...PC_600_SW-AM_-_Salt_Water_Treatment_Unit.html

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 60. I think you're talking about 2 different machines each of which may be based on a Karcher pump. I doubt very much a pressure washer will desalinate. I've taken two Karcher pressure washers apart and both had pumps of Italian manufacture. I don't think they were Karcher brand pumps although Karcher IS in the high pressure water (cleaners) business so they may be manufacturing their own pumps for desalination purposes.

I've often wondered if you couldn't use a reverse osmosis water maker as a pressure washer. They use similar pumps. Just tee off the high pressure salt water line before it gets to the membrane.

I can't comment about the Karcher fresh water maker, their pressure washers are a POS. I've had two and nothing but problems. Light homeowner use. Neither lasted long before I just dumped them.
I now have a Ryobi 3000 psi pressure washer which has been good, but not without a few issues.

Interesting post as I'm in the process of working out hows and where of mounting a small high pressure washer in the lazarette next to the fresh water tank to be used as a clean water deck wash down devise

Interesting post as I'm in the process of working out hows and where of mounting a small high pressure washer in the lazaretto next to the fresh water tank to be used as a clean water deck wash down devise

Keep us posted, would be a handy device. But a small electric one would probably fine.

I love using my pressure washer to clean the boat. Way faster and better than a hose and a broom.

I was gifted a Karcher pressure washer with a good many hours of homeowner use on it. It worked well for a couple more years before quitting. I took it apart - what a chore! - and diagnosed crud build-up in the pressure valve system (turns the motor on/off when you've asked for spray or not). Cleaned it, reassembled and it worked fine for a couple more years before the same problem recurred. Bought a replacement valve and all is well since.

Surely they make different pumps for different purposes. Although I've seen breast milk pumps and brake bleeding pumps that are the same...except for the attachments. Ditto West System epoxy pumps and condiment pumps in fast food joints.

I bought a Karcher pressure washer a couple of years ago and used it sparingly. It failed shortly after one year. It has an external leak somewhere under all the plastic.
It's your basic POS.

Yes you could buy a membrane and hook it up to your pressure washer and make fresh water. If you don’t have the right pump volume matched to the right membrane then it’s not going to work well. There is a difference between making fresh water and making a useful amount of fresh water. There are also many layers to a RO water maker, having a high pressure pump is only one layer.

We've had a Karcher 1600 PSI pressure washer on Blue Sky for 3-4 years; loaned out to dock neighbours etc and not a wink of trouble.

We bought a Karcher on clearance from Walmart 10 yrs ago. It worked fine for boat cleaning and as an anchorwash down for many years. Last year, the plastic hose connection broke so we trashed it. We bought a different brand, and I can only hope it works as well and as long as the Karcher did. I supplied it with fresh water and salt water from time to time. The Karcher did not seem to care, it just pumped.

I have a Karcher at home. Came with a deck cleaner attachment, round cover with water driven spinner inside which pressure cleans the deck, in my case stone patio at home, but it would be good on the boat.
Karcher is a German name but it may not be German made anymore. Though in Germany there is an expression "to Karcher your car". I did that once after following a truckload of incontinent cattle on a winding road, it removed the wax as well as the :eek:, so take care.

Karcher makes $99 pressure washers and $5000 pressure washers. Don't expect to get the $5000 one for $99 at Walmart.

I have an $89 Husky from Home Depot that I just hate. I've been trying to kill that thing for 15 years so I can get a better one. It won't die.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom