FW pump variable speed or constant speed with expansion tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went for a 60 psi pump like Simi due to system needs, although not for the same reasons. I've got a pretty hefty set of filters in the system, and at higher flows they're enough to cause 10 - 15 psi of pressure drop. So having a pump where the cut-in pressure wasn't too low was important (current pump cuts back on around 40 psi), otherwise flow would get pretty weak when you got close to cut-in pressure.

I want to expand on this thread. Including the fresh water flush for the WM there are 11 FW fixtures on our boat and with a single flo jet variable speed pump with no accumulator, the water pressure and volume is anemic at best. I would like to design a system to improve the flow and also put a boost pump in for anchor washdown. This is an area where I don't have much experience so any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am not an expert on plumbing. Everything I have been told and experienced comes down to the GPM rating. Houses generally have a flow rate between 6 and 12 GPM. My Marco pump is rated at 9.5 GPM.

I find that I never need to turn full water on at any faucet for any reason. The down side to a high flow rate is conservation. Less of an issue if you have a water maker.

While I originally thought my Marco UP12 was over kill, I have come to really appreciate the luxury of having more water flow than I need.

I now plan to upgrade my wash down pump with a Marco UP12. This will give me a back up in an emergency.

I made these changes likely 25- 30 yrs+ ago with changes as problems showed up.

All part of the same job. I installed a Groco 1 gal. accumulator which is still in operation.

THe original Jabsco diaphram pumps constantly croaked the on/off switch about every year or so.. I left the on/off micro switch in place as a port plug. Best use I could think of.

---I installed a Square D switch with an adjustable pressure setting. I used a diode to stop the flashback from the motor burning the switch. This lasted 20-25+ years.

-- When the first switch croaked I got a new one + a spare. Same diode setup for same reason.

-- The jabscos had to be rebuilt every year or two for about $100.00.

--I finally changed to a Jabsco 31395 pump with built in on/off which I bypassed in favour of the Square D pump switch.

I mounted the new pump vertically , pump motor on top, Works just fine for the last 2 yrs. Aside from the pump I expect this will last at least 15 + years.

Just what I did. If this Jabsco croaks I likely find a different one. THere are better ones out there such as Whale, Johnson and so on.

Here is my current line of thinking, to use a dual pump system with the pumps in parallel and an accumulator. This should be good for 8 to 10 GPM at 40 PSI.. Even with a pump failure I would be no worse off then I currently am with the existing system. This is an example of what I'm thinking.

joh10-13409-01-2t.jpg

For a washdown boost pump I would use the same model pump as is used with my watermaker as a boost pump.... are there other better solutions?

Here are two alternatives, either of which will solve all of the aforementioned inadequacies. Install a Grundfos pressure/volume booster pump (accumulator not needed), or a shallow well pump with an accumulator. The Grundfos product has a fixed pressure setting of 60 psi. Any shallow well pump will come with an adjustable pressure regulator. Both are pretty much bullet proof.

Here is my current line of thinking, to use a dual pump system with the pumps in parallel and an accumulator. This should be good for 8 to 10 GPM at 40 PSI.. Even with a pump failure I would be no worse off then I currently am with the existing system. This is an example of what I'm thinking.

joh10-13409-01-2t.jpg

For a washdown boost pump I would use the same model pump as is used with my watermaker as a boost pump.... are there other better solutions?

Yes, that will work. I am not a fan of cheap diaphragm pumps. I find that they have a short working life. I feel there are better solutions but not at that price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom