Dripless Seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wainui

Hallo,

Can some one advise me
I want to place 2 dripless seals wich one are recommended by trawler owners

I have PYI. I guess the question is why do you want ‘dripless’ at all? It’s nice that they don’t drip more than a little water but I’m unconvinced that this is worth having to change the boots every 5 years or risk catastrophic failure. A conventional stuffing box is unlikely to sink a boat. Dripless have done exactly that. If you do get them pay attention to water supply especially after dry storage.

That's why I was reading up, actually. If it were up to me, I'd have a traditional stuffing box with modern packing; but many of the boats I've shopped have dripless. There's enough to do with a "new" boat that I presumed I'd do whatever maintenance was needed but not wholesale replace it. Hence I was reading to learn more about them.

(Not that I know why the OP is asking.)

Welcome aboard. I have had both types. Current boat has the traditional style and I use Duramax packing in it and it doesn’t drip so I don’t see the need to replace it with a dripless style.

Hallo,

Can some one advise me
I want to place 2 dripless seals wich one are recommended by trawler owners
I assume you've made a decision to go dripless. If I were to go with dripless, I'd probably go with PSS. I'm sure there are reasons to go with others, but it has a decent track record. The practical sailor article someone else linked is a good discussion.

Good luck

Peter

Back
Top Bottom