Training Captain recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoostersReward

Veteran Member
Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to get on a boat with a training captain (one who knows how to train a boating newbie) to determine if the full-time liveaboard lifestyle is for me. As I have the luxury of going pretty much anywhere in the country, do any of you have a personal experience or a strong recommendation for such a captain? I don't have a boat, so the captain will need to have access to one.

I'm looking particularly for a training captain with the patience to describe and discuss all aspects of boat ownership.

If the price is right and the captain willing, I don't really care where in the country to go.

Thanks in advance...Ross (RoostersReward)

Unfortunately look for experience in safety and training over boat handling and years on the water.

Yes..... time on the water and boat handling are important...but there are captains with lifetimes on the water and docking masters that are really not all that knowledgeable or good instructors.

Unfortunately look for experience in safety and training over boat handling and years on the water.

Yes..... time on the water and boat handling are important...but there are captains with lifetimes on the water and docking masters that are really not all that knowledgeable or good instructors.
Thank you PSneed. I am looking to go from landlubber to responsible boat handler and liveaboard. I seek to hire a captain that can assist me effectively in this endeavor. If you have a quality captain in mind, I'm all ears.

Me, but I am retired. Just kidding.

Sit down with whom ever you meet....and the more they talk about sailing the high seas and how great the boat handler they are...the less you should trust them.

If they talk about the details of your boat, your background, how they plan to treat you like a fellow boater and your boat like their own....the closer you are getting to the captain you want.

Yes you want a VERY knowledgeable captain too, but one who is focused on relating that to you...not holding it over your head as a superiority thing.

Me, but I am retired. Just kidding.

Sit down with whom ever you meet....and the more they talk about sailing the high seas and how great the boat handler they are...the less you should trust them.

If they talk about the details of your boat, your background, how they plan to treat you like a fellow boater and your boat like their own....the closer you are getting to the captain you want.

Yes you want a VERY knowledgeable captain too, but one who is focused on relating that to you...not holding it over your head as a superiority thing.
Completely agree with your sentiment, psneeld. While new to boating, I'm not at all new to negotiation or hiring professionals to assist me. I think I've honed the ability to "smell a rat" to a pretty sharp point and really can't see how buying a boat and dealing with the boater's life is fundamentally all that different.

Don't you think it funny that we have this weird "need" to spell things out so completely, as there is no inflexion involved to help us figure out who is real and who is total B***S***. I suppose people from all walks of life go after that romantic liveaboard lifestyle without positing all the details involved.

I am appreciative of the over-abundance of cautious advice on this site, as it will hopefully weed out the "COVID Freak Out" folks who haven't put all that much thought into this entire endeavor.

This is a bucket list item for me and so has not gone without consideration. In fact, I've been studying this lifestyle for the last year and a half. Was it COVID related? Yes. Originally, that is.

As I discovered the willingness of the boating community at large to assist people like me (complete newbies) and the thoughtfulness most boaters have (not to mention that "community" does NOT equal an HOA Meeting), all the tumblers began clicking into place.

I'm 95% of the way there, and want to button up a burning question in my own mind...is this lifestyle REALLY for me??? While I've had the awesome opportunity to hang out aboard a fishing boat for a couple of weeks in Norway and a recreational houseboat for several weeks at Shasta Lake in Norther California (both times LOVING IT!!!!!), I'm truly a land lubber, but with a sea-faring heart.

It would be fantastic if I can meet a captain (again, doesn't matter where in the USA or Canada the captain is located) that can really show me what this lifestyle entails. To your point psneeld, blowhards, braggarts and folks with superiority complexes need not apply.

No direct experience but I've heard decent responses about Capt Linda Lewis. I believe she's in the PNW.

Also consider Sea Sense Boating in St Pete FL run by a pair of captains.

Good luck.

Peter

Ross.....

Its about hiring a pro, but if new to boating....you have to know what being a pro entails.

Thats why I pointed out qualities in a teaching captain that a huge amount of run of the mill captains really aren't maybe "focused on". Too many new boaters think driving the boat is the big or hard part. It is hard for many, but far from the only thing that keeps one safe and happy on the water.

My reaction to your query is a little different than others so far...
What quickly jumped into my mind is why a training capt?
Your objective is not (primarily) to learn how to pilot your boat and that is likely the primary skill & experience most " training capts" are good at and focus on.
If you really want to learn about what it is like to live aboard and cruise full time why not seek out full time live aboards? There may be a small portion of training capts that fit that requirement but it may not be all that common. Many will certainly do deliveries, etc but they tend to be short, finite point A to B cruises not extended live aboard type adventures.
Have you scoured this live aboard section of TF and made contact with anyone actually living your dream?
I have read about some owner, operator, live aboard in the PNW / Alaska that run custom charters tailored to the individuals interest. While they will be captains they may not specialize in training but could provide a first hand look at what its like to live aboard.

Last edited:
If you don't have a boat or any experience you might want to charter a boat with a captain. Make a vacation out of it and confirm that the captain would like to spend time teaching you. Obviously a generous tip should be involved if you feel the value is there.

I have lived aboard for a 9 year stretch. (previously when I was younger)
Prior to that went from a dingy playing pirate with the two-foot itis every few years to 30+ foot boats. Living aboard does not mean cruising every day, nor does cruising every day mean living aboard.
Most live aboard hardly leave the dock. But they have one thing in common and that is insurance. You need insurance to dock a boat in most marinas. Live aboard boats in my mind start at 30 feet.
There is the first hurdle, can you now get insurance on a 30 foot boat with no boat ownership experience.

Following this thread I cannot understand why the OP wants to engage a captain to determine if living aboard is for him. Unless that captain is also a live aboard who is willing to take someone for a boat ride on his live aboard and explain the lifestyle along with safe boat operation. Good Luck.

Following this thread I cannot understand why the OP wants to engage a captain to determine if living aboard is for him. Unless that captain is also a live aboard who is willing to take someone for a boat ride on his live aboard and explain the lifestyle along with safe boat operation.

I personally think it's a good idea. As PSNeeld alluded, there are a few flavors of captains. Some are legends-in-their-own-mind. Some are great at moving boats. But there are a few who specialize in teaching and training. Spending a week or two in a liveaboard environment where you can comfortably ask what may seem like dumb questions is a good way to develop familiarity.

The two referrals I made up-thread would both work with folks on a chartered boat; and would have a ready-made multi-day curriculum they could adjust for the specific tastes and curiosities of the OP. It would be an expensive week or two, but likely a very memorable experience that would be long remembered well after the credit card is paid-off.

Additional thought: I haven't been to a TrawlerFest in 20+ years, but they were very good for information gathering. It's where I met Linda Lewis and the two women from SeaSenseBoating I referred up-thread.

Peter

Ross,

Check out this couple in Florida.

https://www.captainchrisyachtservices.com/

They pretty much specialize in what you're looking for. They are AGLCA sponsors and work with new and potential boat owners. They also offer various training seminars through the year and have a lot of information on their website. Not sure about hands on training if you don't have a boat but it's worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestions, Peter and Kevin. I'm not sure what it will cost to hire a teaching captain to teach me about boat handling, boat maintenance...you know, hands on curriculum, especially when I don't yet have a boat. This is how I aim to discover how much or how little I like this lifestyle, which will inform my decisions moving forward.

I'm simply asking if anyone knows a teaching captain who already has a boat and is a quality teacher, not just a boat mover. I'd like to chat with that person. Thanks to Peter and Kevin, I'm at least pointing in the right direction, so thanks again.

I think you'll need to target "boating schools" if you have an expectation that they will have their own sizable boat to train on.

Sea Sense has a course targeted at liveaboards, according to their website. On the other hand, they charter boats for their courses, does this make their courses relatively more, or less, expensive - no idea.

In the Puget Sound, many of the same chartering outfits also provide training, I have no specific recommendations for a captain, other than Anacortes Yacht Charters always treated me right on my charters though I haven't done training more extensive with them than their standard checkout stuff.

No direct experience but I've heard decent responses about Capt Linda Lewis. I believe she's in the PNW.

Also consider Sea Sense Boating in St Pete FL run by a pair of captains.

Good luck.

Peter

I have taken a few CG Navigation courses with Capt Linda Lewis, as well as most of her stuff at the boat show. Our dock neighbors have hired her a number of times to help them understanding new equipment, docking. I really enjoy her way of doing things, its to the point, its for a reason, she is a good teacher.

Northwest Explorations in Bellingham does this sort of thing, especially combined with their flotilla cruises to BC and Alaska.

If you don't have a boat or any experience you might want to charter a boat with a captain. Make a vacation out of it and confirm that the captain would like to spend time teaching you. Obviously a generous tip should be involved if you feel the value is there.

+1

Almost any situation will have a dozen different "solutions" from different folks.

BOOKS , doesn't matter if for power or sail will have vast information and cost nothing to borrow from a local library. As most librarys loan each other books almost anything can be had.

First (hardest for sail) is learning the language , after that problem solving becomes a great sport, as you learn how other folks did it.

A training captain will have his experience , and perhaps what he observed from others.

Books will have dozens of folks experience to learn from.

Last edited:
What I need is a training captain for Yen. He/she (would be fantastic if the captain was a woman) must speak fluent Vietnamese.

I have the easiest boat in the world to learn. My AT34, single engine, has bow, stern thrusters and recently installed a DockMate. It does everything except 'park itself'. Now she needs line handling, navigation and boat handling and confidence building.
I am not talking about a couple of days..... Ideally, Yen will tell me when she feels and is competent. Week, 2 weeks (smile)

Last edited:
Boating Expertise

Seek out your local US Power Squadron. They have a wealth of expertise and are happy to share it for free. That also teach numerous classes to increase your education on boating skills.

Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to get on a boat with a training captain (one who knows how to train a boating newbie) to determine if the full-time liveaboard lifestyle is for me. As I have the luxury of going pretty much anywhere in the country, do any of you have a personal experience or a strong recommendation for such a captain? I don't have a boat, so the captain will need to have access to one.

I'm looking particularly for a training captain with the patience to describe and discuss all aspects of boat ownership.

If the price is right and the captain willing, I don't really care where in the country to go.

Thanks in advance...Ross (RoostersReward)

Hi Ross,

If you are interested in going to the SF Bay area DM me. I have taught hundreds in various sailing schools and do the same with trawlers / power boats but independently.

Most of my students are interested in the 'big picture' as you seem to be. That means not just learning how to handle your boat but ways of using it that minimize the need for repairs, making getting out of the slip easy and comfortable etc. I also talk a lot about 'why' things are done the way they are.

I also often work with owners assessing their boats, what repairs are needed and what standard maintenance needs to be done and then doing them together.

As others have said - not all 'pros' are a pro at what they do or at teaching a newbie. Your odds are better with a 'pro' than the guy down the dock that has handled boats for 50 years but stopped learning new things 30 years ago.

Good luck finding a good fit! Being on the water is the most rewarding and enriching ways to live I've experienced.

Dan
Sailing in san francisco bay! - Sailing in San Francisco Bay!

Ross,

Check out this couple in Florida.

https://www.captainchrisyachtservices.com/

They pretty much specialize in what you're looking for. They are AGLCA sponsors and work with new and potential boat owners. They also offer various training seminars through the year and have a lot of information on their website. Not sure about hands on training if you don't have a boat but it's worth a look.

I also recommend them. Others would be both of the west coast of Florida charterers, both https://www.swfyachts.com/ and https://www.chitwood-charters.com/

When my wife and I started out we signed up for a 3 day bare boat charter class through Anacortes Yacht Charters. I had read every nook I could find and watched a lot of videos but had never piloted a LRC before. This class was just perfect for us. It went through navigation, docking, maintainence, anchoring, man overboard, tying up to buoys and it gave us the confidence to get out and cruise. It went into the San Juan Islands to do all of the things I mentioned. Well worth it to us. Part of this could depend on where you want to cruise and what kind of boat you are wanting, single vs twins for the instruction part. There are other places that do this same kind of thing too.

When my wife and I started out we signed up for a 3 day bare boat charter class through Anacortes Yacht Charters. I had read every nook I could find and watched a lot of videos but had never piloted a LRC before. This class was just perfect for us. It went through navigation, docking, maintainence, anchoring, man overboard, tying up to buoys and it gave us the confidence to get out and cruise. It went into the San Juan Islands to do all of the things I mentioned. Well worth it to us. Part of this could depend on where you want to cruise and what kind of boat you are wanting, single vs twins for the instruction part. There are other places that do this same kind of thing too.
Thanks Keith, that's great advice. Do you remember the name of the course or is it just Anacortes Yacht Charter? Can you give me an approximate budget number I should shoot for for a 3 day course? Did this allow you to also sleep aboard to get use to the rocking motion? I appreciate your advice...thanks again.

I agree with looking for someone that has lived on their boat, done the repairs and maintenance, and has a captains license. They are always learning. I’m on Long Island Sound and I charter my boat. With so many new boaters on the water this year it is more dangerous than ever. Just look at your insurance rates. Knowing how to see issues before they happen both around you and inside your boat can save you money, save your life and make boating very enjoyable. DM me if I can help you.

Last edited:
I guess the only way I can find training captain who speak fluent Vietnamese is to employ a training captain and a Vietnamese translator. SIGH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom