You're gonna lose a TON when you sell it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Fractional ownership of a boat may be a better option." The threads I've read on this MO have not been good over the years, It would take a very special relationship to share the costs of boat ownership (IMHO)

"Fractional ownership of a boat may be a better option." The threads I've read on this MO have not been good over the years, It would take a very special relationship to share the costs of boat ownership (IMHO)

Having owned boats throughout my life... I've thought of employing the "Fractional Ownership" potential for boats. Though it would likely, greatly [cut in half??] defer maintenance and storage costs - I never have done so.

MO for me: I'm just too damn particular about condition of "my" boat. I'm afraid the "fractional" [co-ownership of a boat] would create stress in my mind and therefore stress in our co-owner positions.

Soooo... knowing it costs me more $$, I feel obligated to solely own and care for my boats! That way I never need to second guess "other's" accomplishments or the lack thereof.

Murray,
Others may have a better experience but mine has been that the only price data available is the asking price...

Me too, and from personal experience there can be a big difference between asking and selling price.

Where does one find 'sold for' prices for boats?

I just do not see what good can a sold price do if one does not know the negotiations that led to it?

Me too, and from personal experience there can be a big difference between asking and selling price.

Where does one find 'sold for' prices for boats?

Brokers can see the closed prices of boats on the major listing sites.

I just do not see what good can a sold price do if one does not know the negotiations that led to it?

Knowing both average asking and selling price of a particular brand of boat from a particular era would be informative, even without any other details.

If you look at the asking prices of boats - you know the price of unsold boats of unknown condition.

If you look at the sold prices of boats - you know the price of sold boats of unkown condition.

When it comes to buying boats, cars, trucks, homes and business's I will choose to look at the sold prices every time.

I'm always bothered by that whole "Best two days..." thing.

I agree with you on that and find it a disgusting statement. Fine, you don't like boating, be gone, but don't spread your problems to the rest of us. It's like someone who is divorced saying similar. Someone or something you loved and the entire idea of saying the end was a best day of your life. Do you so easily cast away all the memories?

Greetings,
Mr. C. That RV is not parked. It's amphibious.

iu

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15146512/terra-wind/

Bet the salt water will “eat” alive.

Have always spent less than my net income, No financial difficulties yet. :blush: duh ... Consider my boat a "write-off" when ownership is unworthy.

Last edited:
Have always spent less than my net income, No financial difficulties yet. :blush: duh ... Consider my boat a "write-off" when ownership is unworthy.

You don't lose anything when you sell unless you financed. The real loss is the day you buy. You may gain when you sell and offset that. This isn't accrual accounting, it's cash accounting and cash flow. I buy a boat for $200k, I lose $200k and I only buy if I can afford to lose that. Now, when I sell, I make anything from $5 to $250k and I'm happy because it means I can now afford to lose on another boat.

You don't lose anything when you sell unless you financed. The real loss is the day you buy. You may gain when you sell and offset that. This isn't accrual accounting, it's cash accounting and cash flow. I buy a boat for $200k, I lose $200k and I only buy if I can afford to lose that. Now, when I sell, I make anything from $5 to $250k and I'm happy because it means I can now afford to lose on another boat.

Boats when first purchased have similarity to a richly paper-$$$ filled piggy bank... that floats.

They eventually become like a floating coin-$$$ filled piggy bank... still floating, but maybe slowly loosing value

Then, upon sale, when the piggy bank's funds go back into your pocket... the boating memories gained are absolutely priceless!!

:speed boat: :dance: :thumb:

I kind of look at my boat like I look at my kids as far as a financial investment. I know I'm never going to get back the money I put into them, but they sure brought me a lot of enjoyment. :D

Back
Top Bottom