Yet another "what boat" thread - Coastal Cruiser Liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enyar

I'm sure you guys are sick of this but going through some rough times at work/personally and I need something to fuel the dream machine. In about 7 years time we will be retiring and I am looking for a mothership to take us on some adventures. Home base will be Tampa FL and I want a rig to make the middle grounds/dry tortugas/ keys/ Bahamas more accessible for short to medium length trips (extended weekends to a couple months). The budget will be all in for under $250k but I am VERY DIY friendly and should have plenty of time for a project. I want to be able to handle it with just my wife and I, comfortably sleep 4 and somewhat uncomfortably sleep 6 adults + associated children. Goal is maximum diving/fishing/kitesurfing and spending time together as a family. Minimal annual operating costs would be important but dockage isnt a factor.

I could see this going in 3 completely different directions and this is where I want your input. Either a 40'+ sailing cat which would be efficient, good amount of space and moving without engine noise is a great feeling. The problem is tender/toy storage and it really sucks when you're short on time and conditions don't cooperate. The next option would be something like a Defever 49 with a cockpit. This is short a stateroom but otherwise checks a lot of boxes. The final option and the one I am leaning towards is something like a Hatteras 52' sportfish. It checks all the boxes and when conditions suck we can power up to 20k and get to where we want to go fast and with minimum sea sickness. And they are CHEAP! The biggest problem is they are thirsty and old tech but at hull speed it seems reasonable.

By the way, the current rig is a 42' beneteau first + 13' whaler which my Dad owns. It's an awesome rig and the inspiration behind this post. Unfortunately it's starting to get a bit tight now that everyone is an adult and there are grandchildren coming into the mix. I want to continue the adventure with a little more space and a better cruising speed.

Help a day dreamer out! What route would you go?

Enyar
Its refreshing to hear of a situation so near and dear to my heart. My wife and I began the same dream at the 7 year mark also. We are now down to 4 and believe me, "dont blink". I know its cliche, but time truly does fly. Over the last 3 years I have been researching what has become 10s of thousands of vessels. Solicit advice, ask questions, schedule appointments with brokers and physically check out any vessel that you remotely think you like. Solicit advice and be a sponge.
We are going to live aboard with a home Marina in Palmetto Fl (Sarasota).
We are going to cruise slowly with no particular time frame. We love the solitude and want to enjoy the journey as much as the destination. We have several children and grandchildren who will fly to wherever we are on the hook for a "free vacation" aboard for a few days or a week at a time. After years of research we have decided that we are going the trawler route and over the course of all these years we keep coming back to a Mainship 400.
The Mainship 400s are roomy for the grandkid visitors yet manageable maintenace wise. They are affordable <$200k. You can find single or twin diesels and at a 42LOA wont kill you in marina fees. Fuel GPH is very economical at 9-10 knots. Has a really cool almost cult following and has earned its solid reputation.
Dont give up on your dream! Somedays its all that gets me through the day. I highly recommend a you tube channel called "Searching for C shells" A really nice couple who are living the same dream we have on a Tollycraft motor yacht. Their motto is "Dont die at your desk"! and I couldnt agree more!

......when conditions suck we can power up to 20k and get to where we want to go fast and with minimum sea sickness.

Being on plane can reduce probability of seasickness in some, but it's no gurantee. The paradox is, when it's really rough, 20 kts will beat the snot out of you and you'll end up decreasing speed.

Also, the idea of 'Speed to outrun weather' is borderline ridiculous. Either you weren't paying attention to weather forcasts, or a sudden pop-up squall occurred. On the latter, they are short lived. But honestly, at 18 knots, you're not outrunning anything.

Help a dreamer out

Enyar,
Right now it seems you are still a long way from making a selection. We all have opinions but it is hard to correlate one persons priorities to another's. But since you asked...
Sailboat, especially cat will be economical if you sail most of the time but expensive to berth. You apparently have dockage at your base location and perhaps it will not be a factor when you cruise. Also it seems all the rigging and sails add up to real dollars and yet you still have an engine to maintain. Also must consider whether you prefer (now and later) the physical demands of sailing. But if sailing is in your blood you should go for it. I find as many get into their 60s and beyond some never want to give it up while others who switch to power say they wish they had done it earlier.

Trawler style: confession this is what I own. lots of interior and exterior room and more ability to carry toys for the kids/grandkids. Many layouts to chose from and many options below your 250k budget. Generally easier to handle than sail with 1 or 2. Fuel is usually not the biggest cost on these types of boats. You can also stay out of the elements when cruising. Due to lower RPMs and usually lower wear and tear the engines may last for many more years than on a go fast boat. Of course this depends upon the care it has received. Something in 48 ft range would accommodate 6 fairly easily.

Sport fisher: often just a flybridge no Lower helm so halfway exposed to elements. Even at reduced speeds fuel cost will probably be higher and the boat ride not optimized. For the same number of hours as on a trawler the sport fisher engines might be closer to end of life and a 400 HP engine will be expensive to rebuild or replace. Two will take your breath away! Great space in the cockpit and perhaps best platform to get you to and from dive spots as fast as possible. Interior space probably could work for 6 but requires lack of privacy.

Let us know once you narrow down your selection. Best of luck!

"Searching for C shells" A really nice couple who are living the same dream we have on a Tollycraft motor yacht. Their motto is "Dont die at your desk"! and I couldnt agree more!

speaking of them, what happened?
Sheldon had an emergency heart episode and then they disappeared for last few months from all of their social media platforms . I fear the worst

I check every day for an update and now it's been 3 months since their last video. Sheldons issue didn't appear immediate or dire in their last few videos. I am trying to stay positive however I can't imagine anything other than a serious issue that would keep them away for so long.

Welcome Enyar, Good to see a local join the forum. Best of luck in your search. It should be a good time to find a great deal on whatever you decide to target in on. Huricanes/coronavirus/closures and the economic situation should provide you with a lot of choises.

Back
Top Bottom