Old 05-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgenson3 View Post
Definitely agree of not using the power pads. Forgot to mention when hauling we use two forward slings and two rear slings jus ahead of the running gear. You usually have to ask them to put the extra slings in prior to the hauling out. Good to have the water tanks mostly empty as well. All good stuff and asking local folks leads you to the right people that care greatly for your wood boat.
In my experience the crew operating hydraulic lift trailers are not well trained. The devices are fairly simple and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work them....which is precisely what makes them dangerous to the boat. When I asked a crew chief using a nominal 35 foot trailer to haul a 48 Viking motor yacht into a storage building, the crew lead said the trailer is "rated" at 60,000 pounds and the literature says a 48 MY weighs 48,500 (this one weighed far more). I said..."but it's hanging 15-20 feet off the back of the trailer with no support for the aft third of the hull....the aft pads are right about where the engines are located..." He turned beet red and refused to answer. Viking would have had a conniption fit. Time is money for these yards, and their level of experience has nothing to do with it.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Simi 60,
However many straps used there still is X amount of side pressure exerted on the hull. Helps a bit to spread it out some but the same compression force is applied to the hull at approximately the WL.

Can't imagine it would be much given the angles seen here.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_15495137719977521.jpg  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
In the Big Chute when we went through a couple of years ago, the keel sat in the railroad car and they used 2 slings to hold the boat from tipping. Dont remember if the slings moved for and aft or not but they did ask where we had slings placed when we hauled. The 2 slings they used were close to our sling marks. I am sure they are used to doing wooden boats as well as glass boats.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Can't imagine it would be much given the angles seen here.
Yes I agree fully.
That’s a very wide travel lift.
At first it looked like your midship chines had a bit of tumblehome but they are just pointy cheeks. Like the long straight keel. Nice efficient hull .. IMO

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: Here
Big Chute should not be an issue however, if you need a haulout in the great Lakes you may find it difficult to get lifted. Many marinas no longer accept wooden boats and quite a few won't lift them. I've witnessed two hulls collapsing in travel lift slings and two more distort so much that the lift crew refused to put them back in the water after a survey haul.

I stopped surveying wooden boats after surveying a 38' Pacemaker some years back. I started at 0630 and ran out of note paper well after dark. It then took another 10 hours to write the report. No one wants to pay for the 22hrs it takes to survey a 38' wooden boat properly. No owner want to allow fasteners to be pulled for proper inspection. I'll stick to steel, aluminium and plastic.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #26

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
You wouldn't think that hauling wood boats would be an issue but it seems that the guys doing the work now have no idea about what they are doing and can do enormous damage to a boat. Just down the dock from me is a fellow with a gorgeous Bill Garden Wanderer class that was in beautiful shape. Unfortunately over the winter the boat yard doing the haul twisted the boat and the insurance company wrote it off.

Have to make sure the yard knows what to do before putting anything in their hands.
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
LowNSlow77,
I think it’s that the boats are getting older and older. And fewer and fewer are being maintained properly. So more and more mishaps will happen.
Also a old wood boat has lots of weak spots like right in the middle between two ribs or frames at a sharp turn of the bilge. As a complete structure they seem very strong as in hours and hours of smashing into head seas. But the straps find weak spots and the hydraulic pads can put very high pressure on the hull. The machine can lift the whole boat right up lifting only the pads in the bilge area and a FG boat can easily be damaged by a non skillful and uninformed operator. The pads are just to keep the boat from tipping over so very little force/pressure is needed. But a flick of the wrist by the operator can probably damage any boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Amen to Rufus!! My yard prefers not to use the trailer on trawlers my size (36). There are 2 bulkheads but although my hull is heavy and non-cored they feel the trailer can crush a hull. They did use the trailer on mine one year when I wanted inside storage but they only moved it about 20 feet and very carefully. Note that the trailers generally have only 2 support points per side. When my Albin is on the hard I use 4 jack stands per side (plus the keel) when I am on the hard all my doors and windows still open and slide.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #29
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
. But the straps find weak spots and the hydraulic pads can put very high pressure on the hull. The machine can lift the whole boat right up lifting only the pads in the bilge area and a FG boat can easily be damaged by a non skillful and uninformed operator. The pads are just to keep the boat from tipping over so very little force/pressure is needed. But a flick of the wrist by the operator can probably damage any boat.
The trailers I'm referring to lift the boat and move it via the pads only. No keel support whatsoever...no provisions for keel support. As I mentioned earlier, I've seen a 48' boat on a 35 foot trailer, and the bottom bows inward where the pads are pushing. In one instance they couldn't get the trailer to let go of the deep V boat bottom because the pads were wedged in place. Insane stuff....and I assure everyone I am not making this up. A keel lift trailer is an entirely different animal, and probably suitable for the task...depends if they go through the trouble to shim the keel every five or six feet and how carefully they set the boat on the trailer with the travel lift. If they just plop it down, there will almost certainly be two high spots on the keel that take the entire weight of the boat. Bad news. I wouldn't purchase a cored hull boat that I suspected was ever on one of these pad lift trailers.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #30

City: Englewood
Vessel Name: BYE BYE
Vessel Model: 35 Regal Commodore
wood boats

I regularly hauled a 30' owens out/in. Had no problems. It had a 5/4 double diagonal hull. When going in, if I was going to go away from it, I kept a 1-1/2" electric sump pump in her. Kept the water down till she swelled up. Had no trouble with a travel lift every winter, then on cradle. 3 straps. I guess the boys knew what they were doing.
randaye1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #31
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
When I haul out I ask for the straps to be placed at the bulkheads, where the hull is strongest to compression.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaskan, grand banks, wood hulls