Wood boat for winter cruising the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Kevin,

I'm also new to the forum and have yet to introduce myself but since you and I are in a similar situation, I wanted to jump into the conversation. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a Puget Sound/PNW adventure boat. something with lots of character but not so bristol that I'm too worried to use her. If you like Diligence and the asking price is within reason there is a boat on the market you should be aware of; Papagayo.

The owner briefly placed an ad on Craigslist about six months ago and I responded. He gave me permission to head over to Kingston marina where she's moored and go aboard to have a look. She's a very impressive boat. The moment that I got close, I knew she wasn't going to be my boat. She's a BIG 47 feet and rough enough that my wife would never go for it.
She felt like Cousteau's Calypso in miniature. I don't remember all of the details but she's a strong boat, built in 1962 with a Caterpillar diesel and bronze fastenings. Asking price was 65K. The owner now has a bigger, beautiful wooden yacht and admits that she sits unused.
I'd love to see this boat go to a good home. I still have his name and number if you're interested.

Rob

Attachments

• C62FCEDF-334D-4A4E-9ED7-8514609DB40F.jpeg
    C62FCEDF-334D-4A4E-9ED7-8514609DB40F.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 30
  • CF5E1A36-2162-4A8F-9F60-EE1D36D6D308.jpeg
    CF5E1A36-2162-4A8F-9F60-EE1D36D6D308.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 02E8396C-E627-4799-BC46-994525534E90.jpg
    02E8396C-E627-4799-BC46-994525534E90.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 0F68238D-5B05-4C55-B477-FFEE11ECD3A9.jpeg
    0F68238D-5B05-4C55-B477-FFEE11ECD3A9.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 010F3193-2870-40EA-A1BC-24CE187E6937.jpeg
    010F3193-2870-40EA-A1BC-24CE187E6937.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi Kevin,

I'm also new to the forum and have yet to introduce myself but since you and I are in a similar situation, I wanted to jump into the conversation. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a Puget Sound/PNW adventure boat. something with lots of character but not so bristol that I'm too worried to use her. If you like Diligence and the asking price is within reason there is a boat on the market you should be aware of; Papagayo.

The owner briefly placed an ad on Craigslist about six months ago and I responded. He gave me permission to head over to Kingston marina where she's moored and go aboard to have a look. She's a very impressive boat. The moment that I got close, I knew she wasn't going to be my boat. She's a BIG 47 feet and rough enough that my wife would never go for it.
She felt like Cousteau's Calypso in miniature. I don't remember all of the details but she's a strong boat, built in 1962 with a Caterpillar diesel and bronze fastenings. Asking price was 65K. The owner now has a bigger, beautiful wooden yacht and admits that she sits unused.
I'd love to see this boat go to a good home. I still have his name and number if you're interested.

Rob
Thank you Rob! Please DM his number. My timeline is more like the fall, but I'd love to get more info and talk to the owner. Who knows, maybe this works out for both of us!

Looks to be a nice conversion from its commercial fishing origins, where the 'essence' of the old work boat remains:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1965/trawler-44--3817917/

Price probably reflects condition of hull :eek:
And right across the dock from this is the 48 foot Coast Ranger. Ex BC Forest Service boat. Recently underwent some plank replacement.
Sorry, can't find a link to a current for sale ad right now but there are a couple expired ones out there.

Why do you want wood? Because it is better than steel or aluminum as far as warmth and feel and sound deadening go. All the old photos of fish boats in the BC coast have GumWood overlay at the bow and along the waterline. It's for protection from ice.

And right across the dock from this is the 48 foot Coast Ranger. Ex BC Forest Service boat. Recently underwent some plank replacement.
Sorry, can't find a link to a current for sale ad right now but there are a couple expired ones out there.

Why do you want wood? Because it is better than steel or aluminum as far as warmth and feel and sound deadening go. All the old photos of fish boats in the BC coast have GumWood overlay at the bow and along the waterline. It's for protection from ice.

Interesting.... I'm really starting to think wood might be the answer for me! Here's why:

1. The insulation factor is great of course. A big issue with metal boats is water sitting in the interior. When the metal is backed with insulation, it can trap and hide that moisture. Another issue is thermal bridging. So you have insulation between the metal stringers, but usually the interior is attached directly to the stringers with no insul. Those big metal frames transmit cold. I've had this issue in RV's before which is why I currently run a heavily insulated fibreglass truck camper. With wood, the base material has excellent insulation properties throughout the whole hull, not just above water line like most of the metal boats I've explored.

2. I try to do as much work as I can. I don't like contracting work unless it's major and the time factor isn't going to fit for me. I have experience with both wood and metal working and I'm super intrigued by the idea of learning planking, caulking, bonding, ect. I'm that guy who would be happy spending a summer in the yard working on the boat. But that's mostly because my favorite time to be on a boat is in the winter. Crazy I know :)

3. Initial cost. One way or another owning boat means that the vast majority of the spend is in maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. I'm going to do those things regardless. Comparing the upfront cost of a stout wooden boat to a metal boat (that may end up having the same type of expensive structural issues) makes it a hell of a lot more attractive.

4. I love the history and feel of these boats. This isn't a weekend deal for me, it's a part time home for 6 months of the year or more. So living for extended time in all that gorgeous craftsmanship is super appealing.

In sum, the right wooden boat is starting to look a hell of a lot more attractive than a metal boat for my purposes.

We are brothers with different mothers. Last winter in Seattle, snug as could’ve ask for.C2A3D7C2-9919-4F02-9E10-D9DC53EA76FC.jpg

C35E3B5D-2B48-4784-A954-511ECBE6814B.jpg

07B83261-0D50-4101-B783-0266FBCE5CCA.jpg

Attachments

• 0CDED4A6-4FBE-4D2C-933E-DD3CF466589F.jpg
    0CDED4A6-4FBE-4D2C-933E-DD3CF466589F.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Oh hell yes!!! Man you got lucky, it rarely snows in the low lands there! That is so awesome! Looks like you found a great partner too boot!

I was in the desert with my wife when one of those storms hit this season. My buddies were all making fun of me taunting me to drive back up :)

Another wood conversion to share.
https://rickschnurr.wixsite.com/juliemay

Hurricane diesel fired furnace circulates hot fluid from one end of the boat to the other. Run through bilge (is warm and dry) and loops up into all living spaces and other spaces.
I started experimenting with 12v computer cooling fans under the radiators, but my wife said "Do you want it any warmer?" Mission accomplished. Radiators pulled and pressure tested, all good.
IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

[emoji106] don't you love the cellar stairs? And the cellar too, for that matter.

I can just see Kevin_j strolling "downstairs" with an arm load of alpine touring gear and storing it easily on custom made racks, with room left over for racks of climbing gear, and mountaineering gear, and...

I can just see Kevin_j strolling "downstairs" with an arm load of alpine touring gear and storing it easily on custom made racks, with room left over for racks of climbing gear, and mountaineering gear, and...

Now your talking my language. Just have to build a drying rack over the diesel heater!

Wooden boats have their place in the world (PNW), but in Florida, they might be termed "lunch".

Last edited:
Let me dig into that. Area looks super interesting on topo.

The Dala River valley to the north looks to be less of an avalanche shooting gallery than the Kildala River...or maybe an alpine ridge run right up the middle.

Getting to the base of Atna would be good enough for me. Trying the peak in winter would be an onerous task.

Watched a documentary a while ago that opened my eyes to what's possible on skis in the Coast Mountains. A mother (60 years old) and her daughter went from Squamish 2,300 Kilometres to Skagway in winter. Epic.

They would have traversed this area.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sunday/the...ng-trek-along-the-coastal-mountains-1.4648312

Last edited:
The Dala River valley to the north looks to be less of an avalanche shooting gallery than the Kildala River...or maybe an alpine ridge run right up the middle.

Getting to the base of Atna would be good enough for me. Trying the peak in winter would be an onerous task.

Watched a documentary a while ago that opened my eyes to what's possible on skis in the Coast Mountains. A mother (60 years old) and her daughter went from Squamish 2,300 Kilometres to Skagway in winter. Epic.

They would have traversed this area.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sunday/the...ng-trek-along-the-coastal-mountains-1.4648312

Just rented the full length on Amazon. Looks incredible.

And what is it with you BC folks? I have a friend from Madiera Park/Sechelt that is 68 and can out climb 20 year olds on the skin track. I'm a big guy so I'm pretty slow, but he SMOKES my buddy that's a 40 year old marathon runner. Something in the air and water up there :)

Last edited:
I saw that video a month or two ago. The built in chair is very odd and the boat itself has to be a pleasant place to hang out.

Watched this last night... amazing! That might be my new favorite ski movie.

That is a pretty boat!

That said, I'll never understand an ad for a wooden boat that does not list type of wood used for planking/frames and type of fastening (or cold-molded, etc). And the ad does list quite a few other things, so it's not just that the whole thing is super brief.

(Sweet tender!)

Thought I'd post a little update......

Just got back to the PNW today! Be moving through the Mt. Rainier area then up to Port Townsend. Scheduled to cross the border into Canada on the 12th of August. I have three boats lined up to look at on Vancouver Island. I'll post another update once I'm there and actually get on to a few of them.

On a side note, I'm am not liking the broker situation. I'm super interested in a particular boat. It's gonna be a bit of a chore as the owner relocated across the country. I can obviously get on the boat, but will have to hire a crew to move it to haul out, which is going to be a slight costly sum. That is of course if I'm into it after seeing it :) But the broker I'm dealing with keeps saying things like "maybe not worth it?" and steering me to his own listings. Thinking about finding a different (buyers) broker.

And back to the topic at hand.... After learning a ton over the last few months I'm pretty sold on wood for a number of reasons that have already been mentioned, but a bunch of others have cropped up:

1. How damn cool is it that one of these work boats could have a second life working again? I realize it's not the same duty cycle as trolling for a living, but supporting mountain adventures in adverse conditions is kinda like a retirement job :)

2. After doing a ton of learning and talking to a few very knowledgable people, wood just makes sense! Hull repairs on Carvel planked boats is not as scary as it seems at first. Keeping decks tight is a hell of lot less scary than a boat with teak screwed decks on cored fiberglass. But most importantly all of this work can be done by someone reasonably skilled with tools and possessed with patience.

3. I'm a big proponent of making adventure more financially accessible. If you read the media around expedition boats, it seems like you have to drop a minimum of 500K just to get into the game. A wood boat combined with self maintenance can bring the costs down to something reasonable. Well lets just say boat owner reasonable. I feel like this used to be the case with steel as well. The big problem with steel however is mostly everything out there in the price category was home built. With PNW wooden work boats however you have track record and may even be able to find people intimate with the construction.

4. As to my specific purpose, I haven't found anything that meets my sea keeping, livability, and overall robustness requirements for even 4 times the cost of the trollers I'm looking at.

Thanks for reading and commenting on this thread everyone! Keep it coming. Your thoughts and ideas are spurring me on!

A little update..... I crossed the border at 0645 Friday the 13th. Thought that was kinda fitting. I won't go into to details, but finding an acceptable COVID test was a serious chore, but worth it. I've been camped in Port Hardy since and have yet again fallen in love with BC and more so with North Vancouver Island. In all my travels over the last three years I have never been welcomed so much! Since getting here I've been invited on two commercial fishing boats and a retired one! Been learning a ton.

Back to boats.... I'm making an offer on Monday that has been verbally accepted. Once I have that in writing, I'll post pics and more info about her. Lets just say that she's built like a tank :) There is definitely a ton of work to be done however, so no skiing (off the boat anyway) this season, but 2022-23 season is gonna be something!

I just want to say thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread! It's been one heck of a journey, that ironically is just getting out of the gate. More to come!

Sorry for a late reply, we’ve been downsizing and moving aboard ourselves. Sounds like you landed on a solid prospect. Surround yourself with positive like minded people and go for it!?
819099F9-2A52-4EDB-AB77-B264C9022FE6.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom