Winter cold snap -14C this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
How is everyone doing to cope with this change of temp and wind chill?
Dau in law spent 6 hours stuck in stalled traffic last night as our roads became a skating rink in spite of salt/brine spread early. As mentioned in the news, PNW drivers are unable to drive in these conditions.

How is your boat, did you winterize if in water?
At noon yesterday it was 0*C, this morning 6am -13C dropping to -14C currently. I would say, if it is going to freeze something on the boat then it is frozen. :eek:

I have several thermostats on board which send the info to my phone with a graph over time. So I am watching.

6am today, -13C outside air, seawater +7C, unheated ER temp +2.1. All good. :dance:

Steve
Talked to one of my buddies on Denman Is last night. He had his chain saw working for awhile. But, his focus was on the Canucks leading the Pens. Stay warm

Days like this are why we bite the bullet and shrink wrap the boat every winter. Forecast is down to 20 below zero (F) this weekend, 30 mph winds, and windchills to 45 below. Hope the marina winterized everything very well.

The news today had wonderful news for those over 65. Doctor said do not shovel snow if you are over 65. Also said something new to me, at any age if you are going to shovel, do not eat before shoveling as the blood flow goes to the stomach to process food instead of the large organs.

Staying warm thanks for the thought. Cannot comment on the other, may jinx it.

+4 F this morning in LaConner, WA. I have three space ships on the boat plus the hot water heater is on in the Engine Room.

These are the days where you get the rewards of "planning for the worst".
Ice will surely be around the boat his weekend.
75° Inside by the fireplace.

-9 here at 7 AM. I hope it isn't that cold in Coal Harbour, at the boat. My winterization program has always coped with whatever cold snaps arrive, so I have no worries about this one.
Light snow yesterday afternoon, so this morning the plow went past, both ways, though laying sand seemed to be all the plow accomplished.
Steam on the water, tit up by the rising sun, created a spectacular view. With SE 15 to 20 that steam is still part of the view, at 925 AM, though it was better earlier.

Attachments

• steam at -9C.jpg
    steam at -9C.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 13
I left Memphis yesterday, heading for the Gulf of Mexico. It looks like freezIng temperatures will catch up with me tonight and follow me all the way down. Glad I left when I did.

I have to respond to this although I'm not on the water.
Minus 41º F/C here this morning. All the thermometers have bottomed out. The poor birds are frantic at the feeders, so I spent some time putting more out.
Colder yet tonight and tomorrow. Hope the furnace keeps running...

Leeman

Went to college in Fairbanks, sounds like Fairbanks weather. Checking ... nope, -9F in Squarebanks. We have a koi pond out back, I've got 2500 watts keeping it open and that might not be enough Sat night.

Been working some on my boat. Yesterday it was 75 on my boat in heated storage in Sandusky Ohio.

Woke up this morning and it was 10F outside. Heat pumps were running non stop and because of the wind interior temperature was 66F. So what did we do, turn on the diesel heater? No not us. We jumped in our car and drove to Kamloops/Sun Peaks were it is -30F.

Keeps dipping down into the 60s here in Marathon too, getting damned tired of it.:socool:

Winter storage plan for the boat is working well, 72 degrees here this morning in Fort Myers, FL. Had to turn the air conditioning on while working on the boat a couple of days ago. :hide:

Ted

OC Diver/TF BG - definitely feel your pain. Mazatlan dropped dangerously close to 60F the last couple nights. It was so cold we had to close the hatches. Decided to head further south......

Peter

We've been having an unusually warm winter on the south side of Lake Ontario. Our house is only about 3 miles inland from the lake and very close to a river valley. I think it's only dipped below freezing a handful of times this year, although it's currently blowing like stink outside and we've got a cold snap coming through tonight and tomorrow. After that we're looking at temps in the teens and 20s for a while, although that's still not bad compared to some winters around here.

Biggest pain point when it starts getting too cold is that working on the boat gets a lot more challenging (some jobs can't be done in the cold and some get pretty unpleasant). The boat is inside, but it's an unheated building. I can run a pair of space heaters (1 on low, 1 on high) inside the boat when I'm there, but that only does so much to warm it up from totally cold soaked. And it does nothing for exterior work. Good thing we live close so it's not a big deal to go work on something for an hour or 2 and then go back home.

The deep freeze is now over. A few days ago our green grass was covered with a 24hr dump of 12 inches of snow. Next the big melt, flooding for a few days.

Today at 6am the outside temp is 0°C, sea temp 7.8°C
My unheated ER is 4.7°

The ER lowest temp was 0.4°C when outside was -14°C.
The hot (lol) sea average of 7°C kept the belly warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours may be over, but we're forecast for -25F tonight, or -32C for our metric friends. This will surely test how well the new Regalite vinyl windows hold up to extreme cold. (We take down most of it but not all of it because the upper helm canopy helps give a good shape to the shrink wrap.)

It was 55 last night here in La Paz

We even bought new ponchos so we could enjoy our margaritas comfortably.

Why I suffered through 30 years of ice and snow six months out of the year in Alaska I'll always wonder.

:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_8439.jpg
    IMG_8439.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8435.jpg
    IMG_8435.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8434.jpg
    IMG_8434.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yours may be over, but we're forecast for -25F tonight, or -32C for our metric friends. This will surely test how well the new Regalite vinyl windows hold up to extreme cold. (We take down most of it but not all of it because the upper helm canopy helps give a good shape to the shrink wrap.)

Keep warm in your igloo. :D

It was -7 F earlier this week.

We are at our home In SOUTHERN IL for the remainder of the winter. The boat is in Florida for the winter. My wife wanted to take some time away from the boat, and we both have some serious medical issues to be addressed.

Last edited:
I'm with the Kevin plan...cold adult beverages here in the warm sun in Mulege. Upper 70's. Just back from a dirt bike recon ride for best way into a remote site to view pintas, ancient rock art. These areas are managed by local Ranchero, we had a nice chat with Poncho. Will be guiding in Domingo.

We will be back in La Paz early Feb, hold us a spot!

and in Friday Harbor

got into the teens. I relied on shore power running the electric heaters and the ER water heaters plus the 45F salt water bath to keep things warm and it seems to have worked.

Back
Top Bottom