Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Yep. So true...

Old 12-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #62
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
From Wikipedia:

In January 2016, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service proposed that the West Indian manatee be reclassified from an "endangered" status to "threatened" as improvements to habitat conditions, population growth and reductions of threats have all increased. The proposal will not affect current federal protections.[29]

As of February 2016, 6,250 manatees were reported swimming in Florida's springs.[49]

Hunting

Federally they are still endangered and given that there are only 6250 left I doubt anyone will be eating any for a long time. Just because an animal is considered threatened as opposed to endangered does not mean all protections are removed and it’s now open season on them.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #63

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Capt Easy
Vessel Model: Scimitar 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The difference iis most of those rec boaters are just ignorant of laws, customs and courtesies...and have little time on the water.

The watermen have few or no excuses.
Ignorance of laws, customs, and courtesies is not an excuse either, for what itís worth.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #64
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Didn't say it was an excure as much as a reason why it happens.

I am a lot more forgiving of ignorance than arrogance.

And one more time, I am not conemm ng ALL watermen, but I know better than to to think it's just a random few that are chuckleheads.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #65

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Capt Easy
Vessel Model: Scimitar 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Didn't say it was an excure as much as a reason why it happens.

I am a lot more forgiving of ignorance than arrogance.

And one more time, I am not conemm ng ALL watermen, but I know better than to to think it's just a random few that are chuckleheads.

Oh believe me, iíve seen some of the arrogance too.

From commercial guys, yacht folks, sailboaters, jetskiers, and so on.

Anyhow, sorry youíre having an issue with them up there.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #66
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I can't imagine the marine police waiting around to write tickets against workboat captains for violating no wake zones. I can only imagine that for recreational boater violations and all sorts of other violations also. Police officials of all kinds have vast discretionary power.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Oh believe me, iíve seen some of the arrogance too.

From commercial guys, yac hiht folks, sailboaters, jetskiers, and so on.

Anyhow, sorry youíre having an issue with them up there.
It's not just a regional issue....

And like everyone said, I get waked or upset by others too, not just watermen....

It's an ignorance or arrogance issue across all boaters, no matter why they are on the water
Old 12-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #68
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Life's too short to let other people's ignorance upset you for more than a few minutes. I am a GREAT believer in Karma. It's not up to me to get revenge or get even, life will take care of the idiots IMO.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #69
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
If you have an ongoing wake problem, make a video, especially multiple videos for multiple violations. Take them to the Coast Guard, harbor master, marina manager or police patrol.
"Watermen" rarely feel entitled. They just don't like yachts, sailboats and the people in them. They have their reasons, many may be unfair. But when something happens dozens or hundreds of times, some people generalize. But it's no excuse, especially for violating marine laws.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #70
Guru

As mentioned before, watermen or anyone else for that matter know there is little or no enforcement... even with documentation

When I was a senior USCG officer, when I brought up complaints, I was directed to a 7 page negligent operation form. Heck I had more juice as an assistance towbiat can with the State Police as they knew I would help them out without charging them or reporting it...

But even they would do nothing if it was after the fact.

Probably the biggest threat to abusers are harbormaster's with ticketing authority ...but they are rare.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #71
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave907 View Post
Funny. I grew up in the commercial fishery in Alaska. Spent all my childhood and teenage Summers fishing on the family boat. Spent the better part of a decade as a young man running the family tender (boat that buys fish from the fishermen on behalf of the salmon processors) and I've never heard the term "waterman."

Is that really what they call fishermen in places outside Alaska? How strange and interesting.
Cheers!

Dave
No Dave, not just in Alaska. All the watermen described above would be called Fishermen, of one sort or another, anywhere in the world except for some places in the US, it appears.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #72
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Vallejo ferries go "low speed" in narrow Mare Island Strait (they go 30 knots after leaving), but they still make a wake much larger than the Coot can make. SOP is to turn into the ferries's wakes.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #73

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
If I had to share my workspace with anyone I wouldn't love it and add to the fact that it's hard work, generally the guys who run the boats aren't being paid well, how many times a day they have to deal with BS and i'd bet some venting towards Rec boaters whether deserved or not isn't shocking.

I will say I get a different vibe from the guys around me who run commercial boats(ALOT) when i'm on my big boat vs my smaller fishing vessel. They are all smiles and waves on the big boat and indifferent on the smaller boat.

My guess is that larger boats tend to have better captains as a whole and small fishing boats are the cause of some "interactions". They see a small boat as potential for someone waking them while they pull crab pots or running in front of them/ect.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #74
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
I'm a retired commercial fisherman and I long ago learned to treat other boaters, both commercial and recreational as simply hazards to navigation. Some are rude, some are clueless, some I assume are good people but the reality is you seldom know who is at the helm of another vessel.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #75
Veteran Member

City: Isla Saboga
Vessel Name: Sunset
Vessel Model: Offshore 48 Yachtfisher
Imagine being a cabbie driving a junker cab with no AC and the front bumper falling off, struggling to make a living, and half the cars on the road are Porsche convertibles, BMWs and Mercedes-Benzs all driving back and forth from the country club to the beauty salon by beautiful people.

Who in that situation wouldn't eventually feel a little resentment at their lot in life?

I knew a guy once who drove a big F-250 pickup with large tires, and whenever he saw someone intentionally park their new, shiny luxury car away from the other cars in the parking lot to avoid door dings, he would drive over and park right next to them and open his door with reckless abandon to leave them a nice divot in the paint.

Yes, he was a dick! And so are a lot of people. Fishermen are no exception.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #76
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
That's why I just treat them all as hazards, I don't have to think about who's a "dick" and who isn't.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #77
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I knew a guy once who drove a big F-250 pickup with large tires, and whenever he saw someone intentionally park their new, shiny luxury car away from the other cars in the parking lot to avoid door dings, he would drive over and park right next to them and open his door with reckless abandon to leave them a nice divot in the paint.

Anyone who would do that must have a real self image problem and an extremely small
p—-is.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #78
FF
Guru

Most likely he went to publik skool and was tutored in SELF ESTEEM, for 12 years before being handed a diploma he couldn't read.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Isla Saboga
Vessel Name: Sunset
Vessel Model: Offshore 48 Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post

Anyone who would do that must have a real self image problem and an extremely small
pó-is.
More like a jealousy and envy issue. I think he just disliked anyone who had the resources to buy things he couldn't afford. And it pissed him off to see them flaunting their affluence in public like they were better than the rest of us.

This is the mentality that fuels the animosity to the 1%ers, and it is way more prevalent now than it was back then. And most of us with larger boats would be seen to be in the 1% by the rest of the population.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #80
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
WoW, I’ve never thought anyone making a living on the water as “ Entitled”. Slowing down when passing is just the right thing to do, a wave, smile which is often returned cost nothing and can be contagious.

Closed Thread