Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Boston Area
do planes routinely monitor marine radio ?

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Keep in mind that it was just a couple of months ago that we heard from a member of the Coast Guard that it is better to call for help earlier than later. Trying to conduct a rescue at night is much more hazardous than it is in daytime. While loss of engine power in the Gulfstream may not be a rescue situation all it would take is a storm to come along to make it into a dangerous situation. I would try to get help during daylight hours when it is easier for everybody, including a towing company.

Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I don't know what the CG uses for VHF receivers, but when I was a PNW fisherman, I often heard them talking to boats in distress as much as 200 miles out. If you're in an area with fishermen or crabbers, they are monitoring the emergency channels. And where necessary can relay messages or help.
Off the West Coast fog is common above SF. I remember a call from a yacht that was lost in the fog and circling the #1 buoy at Fort Bragg. When the CG cutter got out to the buoy, no boat. They got a radio direction on his signal and found him 20+ miles south going around a different #1 buoy. The rest of the story is it was a busy day. A 2nd yacht was having some distress and about 20 miles straight out. The CG would have gone there 1st, but assumed the #1 problem yacht was on their way. That led them 20 miles out of the way. As it turned out a fishing vessel helped the 2nd yacht. That particular day I was towing another boat that lost his prop.
From someone that has spent a life on the ocean, and hearing dozens of small boat distress calls, the CG gets way too many unnecessary calls from people that are unprepared.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
do planes routinely monitor marine radio ?
I don`t know, but here they do receive EPIRB signals,and pass them to AMSA.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote