Old 10-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Rochester, NY
What you do in real life?

I so admire the depth of knowledge on this forum and I'm having a great time learning new things. I see lots of really beautiful and I can only imagine high six figure boats in many of your avatars.

So my question is how did you get here? What kind of professions are represented on this forum, and to a larger extent, the crusing, trawler community?

Is this a hobby/lifestyle for the elite, or can a regular, upper middle class couple get into it? I have read post where people are talking about equipment, maintenance and repairs with $5000, $10,000 and more thrown around. Those are relatively big numbers to me.

Just curious if people started small when they were young and kept trading up or if you just grew up with something similar and just jumped in with two feet when you got older.

The costs don't necessarily scare me, I don't mind spending money on nice things with value. My limited knowledge leads me to believe this is not something you can do on the "cheap".

www.seadreamerproject.com
www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks
scott2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Petrolium Engineer. Worked 37 years for Schlumberger. Retired in April 2016.
Worked as subsea engineer for 14 of those 37 years.
I have had boats all my life. Built 2 on my own. Rainha Jannota my current trawler is the last one.

Rgs
Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We sea kayaked until I was 48, then my wife got into a car accident that changed the Rules of Life.

Bought Badger (our first boat) four years ago, and now we can still get 'out there' and our daughter will also grow up knowing in her bones how amazing the north coast of BC is.

I'm a large format fine art photographer who lucked out into a letter carrier job which supports our family and boating. No big bucks here. No high paying job or prestigious title. Our goal has always been to have a happy & humble, uncomplicated Life
Old 10-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I retired . . . yesterday, actually . . . from the electric utility industry.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Well, Scott. I can't attest to the six figure yacht. What I can attest to is life on the water is different for different people and for different reasons. I too have had some sort of floating thing I have always called a boat. First one that was “mine” was a home built row boat that I found floating down the Elk river in north Alabama when I was about 10.. It was busted up a bit but still floated when we bailed her out. Had a blast paddling that hunk around. Lost it in unexpected high water one day. Guess it just moved on. Had a boat of some kind ever since. My real life occupation is former Electrician current procedure writer for an Electrical Power Plant. We too agree that spending money on something that enriches our lives is prudent. Our current boat is a very modest Mainship double cabin. Gas engines. We don’t travel very far. We enjoy the time on the water visiting with friends old and new. Life is just better when we are on the water, traveling or just floating.
What’s your story?
Dave.
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Congratulations Angus. Enjoy
Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

Congrats Angus. 8 more years......
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
What you do in real life?

Scott: This is really a three part question.

First. The job is just the end to pay the bills. But to make that pay I drive tugboats and pilot ships and tugs.

Deciding to buy a boat had to do with my age, my desire to tote my Grandkids around, and my Fathers inability to have a boat to retire with.

I wanted to make sure I could have a boat to enjoy while I was young enough to maintain it, and while I have disposable income to finance it.

I was fretting these questions you have, running around with relatives on older boats thinking 'gee, I would 'need' a 1. Newer 2. Shinier 3. Bigger4. Etc etc etc boat'. But when at a yacht club I had an epiphany. I saw an older couple (80's) on a Mainship MK1. Having the time of their life. As I got to know them I realized that they were having JUST as much fun that weekend as the 'Commodore' on his new half a million dollar boat.

After you read these forums you get the idea that we are all different. We all have different wants expectations and above all financial ability.

My overriding factor in choosing a boat is that I couldn't spend any more than I could stand to see on the bottom. I leave for two weeks at a time. I have no one near me to ' watch' my boat when I'm gone. Hurricane season gives the 'boss' stomach heaves while I'm gone.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Retired shipwright of nearly 30 years, in between jobs sailed on tugs on and off for a good share of my working life, licensed Operator for 200 tons/200 miles offshore (expired). Did some freelance writing for about 5 years, now retired from all!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Congrats Angus. You`ll love it.
Lawyer, but telling people I played piano in a gay brothel goes better.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Renton
Vessel Model: 1981 Hardin Sedan 42
Engineer for Boeing. It all depends on what you can live with. For me accepting the deck needs a little work but still a great boat and price. Others need the boat prefect before they buy. If you need perfect then you need more money.
Mach_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #12

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Played piano. Neaver heard it called that before. I will work that in conversation soon!
Thanks Bruce!
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #13

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Sales Manager of a medium sized new home builder east of Toronto and side job is designing and prime contracting Marina Docking facilities. My main job is 90% boredom and 10% panic so I have the time to do the other. Was supposed to retire a few years ago but projects keep coming in and I keep saying yes.
But my boat is all tricked out, 2 fresh engines and I intend to spend my 70th birthday in dec 2017 on the hook in the Bahamas.
I am also a full time liveaboard, which is a little strange for a guy that markets new homes, but it works for me.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Per popular opinion, as an insurance guy, I count amongst my peer group:

-Used car salesmen
-Lawyers
-Politicians

Esteemed company, all!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
E-t-r-e-p-r-e-n-e-u-r! to the highest degree.

First profitable biz was started in 6th grade.... Thank You!! Mr. McGlade [my 6th grade instructor]... for learning me more about life in general than any other teacher ever! I have never looked back.

Did work for others about 18 months off/on while fooling around traveling the U.S in early 20's. Not my preferred gig. Homey don't like that game. I lead... or I usually don't play. That said, pleased to sit side by side with other qualified leaders.

Boating is a pleasure-hobby to me and my lovely wife. Nothing more nothing less. I was brought up on/off boats from berth (birth - lol). Love pleasure boating and the water in general. Swimming - OH Yeah!!! Great for R&R while living a full life along other parameters.

TF is the only forum to which I belong for accomplishing general chat. TF is pretty darn cool... if you ask me. While I work other documents and thought patterns... contributing to and reading from others on TF provides lightness and relief/relaxation while also providing some good tips on boating as well as life.

Some pretty smart folks contribute here. The dumb ones need not be read or followed.

Happy Life Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Scott

To be fair, what do/did you do in real life?

I am with Bruce, though not in the same gay bar. Retired in 2011, don't now understand how I ever had time to work, as the unstructured retired life takes all of my time. If I was still working, I couldn't do 1/2 of the things I can do now. Having a boat adds significantly to the quality of my post working life.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Retired from a large fire department in the LA area five years ago at 55. No millionaire here!
Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Retired USAF in 1994 (22 years keeping the slimy tentacles of communism from encircling the earth) and have worked for 22 years for same company all in telecommunications. Tried to retire from that job 4 years ago, but they wouldn't let me, kept me on retainer all summer working from the boat and then back to work in Sept until April. I was the second employee and we are up to 130 or so now. I guess I can keep that up for a few more years but really need more time off for hunting in the fall.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #19

City: Qualicum Beach, British Columbia
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Graphic designer. I did the logo for this site but my day job is design in film and TV. Stargate SG-1, Stargate Universe, Stargate Atlantis, X-Men, Battlestar Galactica, Misson to Mars, X Files, Happy Gilmore, Psych etc. etc. etc. I like to say I have every 10 year old boy's dream job...I get to build spaceships :-) Worked on The Flash last year but chose not to return this season so I could work on NBC's TIMELESS.
Hopefully retiring very soon. House is for sale and as soon as the ink is dry I'm pulling the plug and semi-retiring to Vancouver Island...tick, tick, tick
Old 10-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Retired and really enjoy it! 20 years in the USN then started my own Landscape Contrator business and sold it 18 months ago. Now I get to run away and travel to places On the bucket list. But the list grows more each day.
Would I like a bigger fancier boat? Sure, but afraid the cost to operate and maintain would distract from the places we want to go. A mans gotta have and understand his limits, assuming you do have limits.
Now a pianist in a gay bar...
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote