What you do in real life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Very interesting thread. A lot of folks here with impressive life experiences and resumes. Me---not so much. Started working, full time, at a gas station at 14 to supplement my family’s public assistance allotment. 3 months out of HS and greetings from Uncle Sam. Survived, back home and turning wrenches at dealerships and building street rods and race engines on the side. Went to work for a municipal equipment maintenance shop working on police and fire equipment. Moved into heavy equipment shop working on trucks, transit buses, heavy equipment (loaders-dozers etc.) while continuing to build street rods in home shop. Retired but still building/restoring cars.

Yours is as impressive as any. If I'd had to make a living doing what you did, I would have been in big trouble. Me working on autos or equipment would be a disaster. I've never changed oil in a car.

Reactions: Pap
Murray's life guiding truisms:

In the end, memory banks are more important than money banks, and one should leave positive ripples in the pond.

Last edited:
Personal business list [some ongoing... one in formation]:

- Bicycle repair
- Landscape maintenance
- Restaurant/Tavern
- Masonry, concrete, tile construction
- Patented tool sales
- RE purchase /rental / sales
- Solar Air Tech LLC

EZ BUILD MASONRY - - > New Building & Restoration – Structural & Artistic

Four Decades Experience: All Types Masonry - - > Brick | Block | Stone… As well as… Tile | Concrete | Stucco | Plaster. I work with Architecturally Engineered Plans & Drawings. Also… Sketches, Pictures and “Freehand –Thoughts” Happily Accommodated

My Patented… Mortar and Grout – “EZ Pressure Injection” – Masonry and Tile “Hand-Tools”: EZ Build Masonry System™ Homeowner Tools, Masonry Tools, Tile Tools, Masonry Construction – – > Remarkable VIDEO!

Solar Air Tech LLC | Founder and CEO
www.solarairpower.com

SolarAir™ Tower-Chimney / New-Source “AirLic” Fuels™

:D :dance:

PS: Wishing for all to stay safe and well during disastrous Covid-19 Pandemic. When "world" population figures out how to physically, emotionally and economically emerge from today's health debacle - "Things" will be different.

It took communicable sickness-fate [sponsored by Mother Nature] to slow humanty down from its incessant, ecosystem overloading, item production increase. "Ma" forcibly dropped civilization to its knees. From hereon civilization needs to take account of Ma's needs while we stand back up to move toward our future centuries.

PSS: Retirement is not in my vocabulary! Don't need it nor want it!

Last edited:

In the end, memory banks are more important than money banks, and one should leave positive ripples in the pond.

That's a good one!

The important jobs I have had were being the best son, husband, and parent that I could be. That has consumed the most time and presented the best rewards.
With the time left I pursued various jobs such as machinist, engineer, project manager and company leader in industries such as defense electronics, data base management, and large scale mailing operations. Mostly after that and along the way we opened a number of business's the last few of which we recently sold and are now best described as fully retired.
Very grateful for the variety and depth of experiences we have had so far.

For myself I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering (UC Berkeley). I retired in the summer of 2018 after 34 years in the global fuel and lubricant additive business.

Well someone fooled you. My old girlfriend was an expert in lubricants and didn't need no crazy degree!

Well someone fooled you. My old girlfriend was an expert in lubricants and didn't need no crazy degree!
Do yo realize that writing your girlfriend was an expert in lubricants is opening the door to all sort of comments? Lol

L

Joined the Marines in 1966 just before I would have been drafted. Served 13 months in Vietnam humping a radio on my back. Returned and retrained as an air surveillance radar technician. Taught radar maintenance for four years. Got selected for warrant officer and served as a radar maintenance officer. After that was selected for a regular officer program and spent 5 years as the Marine Corps program manager for acquisition and support of their air surveillance radars. Became the only Marine in Ronald Reagan's "star Wars" program office (Strategic Defense Initiative Office) at the Pentagon. Was the Marine Corps Liaison Officer there as well as Deputy Program Manager for one of the missile programs. Selected for promotion to Major but declined it one week before promotion so I could remain in the Washington area. Retired and went to work for a large defense contractor. Primarily managed really advanced research and development programs for a government customer (if you saw it in startrek we probably were working on trying to make it work).

Have lived in Hawaii for three years and Okinawa Japan for two years. Traveled extensively including Thailand, Philippines, Korea, Italy, Germany, Greece, Kuwait, Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Mexico and the Bahamas. Now retired and living on a river in southern Maryland. Bought a Jefferson 42 in January and I'm getting ready to bring her up to Maryland next month.

Really enjoying reading this thread.

Amazing how varied and interesting the people are who are trawler-ers!

So I've had a varied background, but currently support a mission composed of hydrazine, plutonium and titanium. Am an aerospace engineer supporting NASA on projects such as Mars rover, Artemis lunar and our commercial partners (SpaceX, ULA, etc.). Hope to ride this to an early retirement in the next few years, then heading back overseas.... on the next trawler!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 46
Mainly computer and communications electronics hardware and software.

Started designing PC components for a large PC manufacturer, moved to police and fire radio systems for a large radio communication company.

Then worked with the worldwide cellular standards bodies as part of the digital cellular startup in the US, then part of the team designing the industry's first digital cellular phone.

Downsized by company and then part owner of engineering consulting business specializing in cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth consumer products and vertical-market wireless sensor systems.

Retired in 2018 and now just I work on boat projects.....

After high school I was a bartender for a while and commercial fished before moving on to college where I failed spectacularly from an academic standpoint, likely because I was mostly focused on drinking and outdoor sports like bow hunting, fly fishing, backpacking, etc. Eventually, this led me to a job working for our local Outdoor Specialty Store. I managed to stumble and misstep my way up to becoming a buyer/manager there and after a few years became good friends with one of my reps who needed some help and hired me in 1991. My wife started working with us in 1993.

We represented Jansport, Slumberjack, Mountain House, Old Town Canoe and Danner boots in the Southeastern US, selling to Outdoor Stores, sporting goods stores and some department stores.

My wife and I split off on our own around 2000. We were two of the original reps for Keen Footwear and Vibram Five Fingers, both of whom we still represent along with 3 other brands.

I was also a fly fishing guide as a side job, specializing in tarpon on fly for 13 years, but reluctantly gave that up when our rep business began demanding more time. Before the Corona Virus we expected to semi-retire sometime in the next 3 years, but I think that is pushed back now. Business is very, very bad. The worst I have seen it in 30 years.

My work resume speaks somewhat to my boating experience. I've lived on or around the water my entire life and had many many boats.

We were two of the original reps for Keen Footwear and Vibram Five Fingers, both of whom we still represent along with 3 other brands.

I was also a fly fishing guide as a side job, specializing in tarpon on fly for 13 years, but reluctantly gave that up when our rep business began demanding more time. Before the Corona Virus we expected to semi-retire sometime in the next 3 years, but I think that is pushed back now. Business is very, very bad. The worst I have seen it in 30 years.

Sorry to see you impacted so adversely by Covid 19. When things are opened back up, how do you see your business returning? At previous levels or do you anticipate it being substantially off?

To us, it's a double puzzle, first when things will open back up and second what demand will be like when it does and we have no idea on either.

I've been a Hollywood Special Effects man for 37 years.
But what I really want to do is direct! :socool:

Reactions: Art
Just turned 78 in March and my wife of only 40 weeks turns 73 this month.
Both retired and bought a Ranger R-27 classic late last year.
Hope to do lots of cruising in the PNW.
The boat is in charter in Anacortes.

Greetings,
Mr. B. "Hope to do lots of cruising in the PNW." Ya sure. Newlyweds. We ALL know what y'all is doin' Ya, sure...Cruising. Enjoy!

200.webp

Just shy of Kim Basinger’s age. She was my other heart throb besides my wife of 38 years. I’d like to say I’m retired but still working in the transportation business. My boat is my home when I’m working but like others I’m doing much less working with the Covid-19 crisis. The way the markets dumped I may be working longer than I expected a few months ago.

Just turned 78 in March and my wife of only 40 weeks turns 73 this month.
Both retired and bought a Ranger R-27 classic late last year.
Hope to do lots of cruising in the PNW.
The boat is in charter in Anacortes.

I hope the restaurants are open in three months or so for your one year celebration!

Solicitors are usually who you would hire. Some of them do court work but if you case goes to trial they would most likely engage a barrister to litigate on your behalf. Barristers do most of the court work - especially on important cases. Most of those who end up on the bench were previously barristers.

BTW, we used to call them silly sodders!
That`s essentially right. Lately there has been a legislated move to a "fused" profession so you can be solicitor and barrister at the same time without a distinction. But in practice it still separates. Some solicitors like working as a "solicitor-advocate" but not many. Pulling on a wig and gown is not for everyone(especially a wig that short:)). You literally have to be able to "think on your feet". Fearlessness is a good trial attribute, especially in cases that require "a full metal jacket". It`s important to remember to have fun doing it, a joke goes a long way relieving tensions in Court.

And I can`t play the piano.
But I have driven(among other Renaults) a Renault R4, it`s like riding a drunken marshmallow.

Last edited:

My attitude while working has always been "I am working to support my social life."

So I would not separate the money bank from the memories bank.

The money is what helps you "buy" memories. And can actually help fund your families memories - children, grandchildren and even further.

Not at all suggesting memories cannot be made without money, they can. I guess is could be difference between your family enjoying a memory at the local sandbar versus one in Kenya photographing the Big Five.

Additionally a money bank can help you be philanthropic - and help you leave those ripples in the world that really have larger impact.

Just another thought, that having money isn't all bad.

Greetings,
Mr. TB. Re: Post #229. "RT heats up sideways ideas." Well, I must confess that GIF is in error. That "blower" is working at a glass lathe. Unlike a machine lathe BOTH the headstock and the tailstock should be turning. Yup and sideways (horizontal). I could never justify a vertical lathe although it would have been VERY nice, at times.

It's the best "hint" I could find but I had forgotten about our Mr. MM who, due to his choice of computing equipment (Apple) was unable to see it. I subsequently posted a static image of a blower "at the bench" which is where I spent 95% of my time. Hand manipulations with a few carbon tools a blowpipe and a torch. Borosilicate (Pyrex), Quartz and some soda lime (soft) glasses.

Lathe work, for me, was limited to pieces too large to manipulate by hand, small production runs (usually 10 to 50 pieces), use as a 3rd hand and some specialized processes (vacuum tube pinches, precision tube drawing etc.). I was a one-man R&D shop.

GREAT job but unfortunately for fellow TF members, a skill (unlike mechanics) that is not terribly necessary aboard any vessel.

My attitude while working has always been "I am working to support my social life."

The money is what helps you "buy" memories. And can actually help fund your families memories - children, grandchildren and even further.

Not at all suggesting memories cannot be made without money, they can. I guess is could be difference between your family enjoying a memory at the local sandbar versus one in Kenya photographing the Big Five.

Additionally a money bank can help you be philanthropic - and help you leave those ripples in the world that really have larger impact.

Ones Life Experience informs their world view.

My Dad was from the Great Depression era, so worked hard to provide for the family. He was a chemical engineer at an aluminum smelter, came up with a dry scrubbing process which did away with polluting wet scrubbers, and was sent all over the world to help set things up at other smelters.

We didn't have a crazy affluent lifestyle, but we also didn't hurt financially. On the flip side, he was gone quite a bit as I was growing up. The 'mean kid' on the street who wasn't allowed to my birthday parties taught me how to ride a bike, catch a baseball, etc. We always had a loving, yet uncomfortable relationship.

I was the letter carrier to our daughters elementary school, so sometimes got running hugs when I saw her at recess time. Our house is also halfway through my route and is a 3 minute walk from both the high school and elementary school, so got to have lunch with the family. I also usually finished work before she got home from school.

I was playing with our daughter at a playground once and there was another Dad there with his kid. He came over after a while and said he was a stay at home Dad and he'd noticed how effortlessly we got along, and that he didn't often see that between other fathers and their kids. Made my day.

There might be an oscillating nature to this parent/child dynamic. Our daughter, who hasn't suffered in any way because of her parents not earning enough money, also hasn't gotten all the 'stuff' she's wanted in life. Maybe she'll emphasize making money, won't see her kids enough, and the cycle repeats? I don't think so, but you never know.

Last edited:
I'm an Offshore Construction Manager for McDermott International. I have been working at Sea for the last 38 years, specializing in Deepwater subsea installations. My last project (finished March 8th, 2020) was in 4000' of water in the Bay of Bengal, India. With Covid-19 upon us, I have no idea when the next gig will be,,, if ever. In the meantime, my wife and I are hunkered down in Airlie Beach, Australia, onboard INFINITY waiting this thing out.

"Just another thought, that having money isn't all bad"
I believe that is very true - not just the having part but the part where you experience many things along the way, the journey.
The opportunity and ability to pursue many goals at the same time are rather new on the human timeline. I have found it was never a binary decision of casting off one important goal in life in order to achieve another but rather to seek a balance ….as in most opportunities in life.

Joined the Marines in 1966 just before I would have been drafted. Served 13 months in Vietnam humping a radio on my back. Returned and retrained as an air surveillance radar technician. Taught radar maintenance for four years. Got selected for warrant officer and served as a radar maintenance officer. After that was selected for a regular officer program and spent 5 years as the Marine Corps program manager for acquisition and support of their air surveillance radars. Became the only Marine in Ronald Reagan's "star Wars" program office (Strategic Defense Initiative Office) at the Pentagon. Was the Marine Corps Liaison Officer there as well as Deputy Program Manager for one of the missile programs. Selected for promotion to Major but declined it one week before promotion so I could remain in the Washington area. Retired and went to work for a large defense contractor. Primarily managed really advanced research and development programs for a government customer (if you saw it in startrek we probably were working on trying to make it work).

Have lived in Hawaii for three years and Okinawa Japan for two years. Traveled extensively including Thailand, Philippines, Korea, Italy, Germany, Greece, Kuwait, Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Mexico and the Bahamas. Now retired and living on a river in southern Maryland. Bought a Jefferson 42 in January and I'm getting ready to bring her up to Maryland next month.

Really enjoying reading this thread.

Thank you for your service.
Based upon your travels it is possible that we have met at some point. We had built unique circuit boards for many programs and attended many meetings with various DOD groups - some were 'brilliant pebbles' and other little known programs of the time. Similarly we had components in many now known programs like JSTARS, AGIS, Patriot , F115, etc.. Much luck with your new to you Jefferson 42, enjoy it.

Happily retired currently but in my previous/ professional life I ran technical projects. Like Mako my projects sometimes dealt with space...
Worked on the windows for the space shuttle, B1 bombers, Hubble telescope mirror blank (didn't have anything to do with the finishing faux pas) and some other less known defense systems.
Also ran the project that produced the 8+ meter mirror blank for an observatory now on the summit of Mona Kea, HI.
Took an opportunity for an early retirement and taught project mgmt. For about 15 yrs.

Never been anywhere close to wealthy, so boats are an essential that I enjoy on a budget. I found my first boat at age 5; a derelict 7' plywood dinghy with no bottom, half buried in the sand on the Touhy Av Beach in Chicago. Rebuilt it as a sailing dinghy at age 10 with Dad's help. I've had many trailerable sailboats over the intervening 70 years. Once built a cedar strip canoe having a sail rig. Nine years ago we traded a 28' Shearwater Yawl for our first "power boat" (see avatar). I started my career in industry as a draftsman and retired as product design engineer for firms manufacturing building products.

Sorry to see you impacted so adversely by Covid 19. When things are opened back up, how do you see your business returning? At previous levels or do you anticipate it being substantially off?

To us, it's a double puzzle, first when things will open back up and second what demand will be like when it does and we have no idea on either.

Agreed that it is very hard to predict.

I suspect that it will be a gradual return to normalcy, probably over an extend period of time, years maybe.

Specific to us, I expect the work boot/shoe category to come back first. It has seen the least decline being "essential," though even it is off by more than 70%, so it's got a long way to go.

My web based, approved Amazon 3P guys who do it well will be next. I thought going in to this thing that they wouldn't be hurt all that badly, but they have been. This segment was strong before the shutdown, so I think it will recover.

Next, IMO, will be the brick and mortar specialty stores. They were under tremendous pressure before this happened. I expect to lose some of them.

Last will be the department stores. We only deal with one chain at this point, so thankfully they aren't a huge part of our business. I don't see how mall based retailers will survive long term.

What are your thoughts on stores in tourist areas? Do you see people traveling domestically in the near future? Maybe before fall if allowed?

Retired telecom engineer . Although I worked on the internet from its inception, Facebook is not my fault.

Back
Top Bottom