What brand of anchor chain do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
What brand of Anchor chain do you use and how is it holding up? I thought I might try ACCO Grade 43 High Test but read some posts online that were not very good. But they were 4-5 years old. Have they made any improvements to their galvanizing in the past few years?

I went through this about 2 years ago, ended up with Titan - happy so far.

IMG_3511.jpg

I've got Acco G43, bought in late 2019. It's only seen fresh water, but still looks new at this point. Their galvanizing and such used to be good, then it seems like they went through a period where it was not so good. I'm not really sure if it's better again or not.

We've always bought Acco. Mainly, because that's what they sell at the big (non-West) marine store that we have here that mainly sells to commercial fishing boats. Their price is usually about 3/5's of what West Marine wants for chain.

I paid $804.95 + $150.00 shipping (no sales tax) in 2019 from Star Marine Depot (now gone) for it to be delivered at my dock. That same drum of chain is also on Amazon for $1323 + tax (free shipping).

The issue that I ran into with ACCO was knowing it really was ACCO - you'll also see references to where it was manufactured offshore. I've purchased chain in the past from Washington Chain in Seattle and even with them...it was a little squishy exactly whose chain it was.

But Titan is just over the border in Canada and my conversations with them convinced me that they had strong control over their chain - and having certified ISO-9001 chain that I could trust the certification was what swayed me.

Back
Top Bottom