Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Cafesport,

Thanks for the clarification. The usefulness of SiriusXM weather seems to be dependent on which vendor's system you adopt. That's why I won't touch it again unless I am able to fly before I buy. Lowrance treated Alaska as a bastard step child because they didn't believe SiriusXM worked in the southeastern part of the state. Garmin just stop supporting my setup, and I haven't been able to see what Raymarine does. I appreciate the update on the Furuno system. Unfortunately that would be a large forklift upgrade for me. Since I use Coastal Explorer for my primary navigation, it also downloads current weather and nearby observations when connected to the internet, but I can't customize that download to pick up observations or zone forecasts that are further away.

Tom
tpbrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:19 PM   #22
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
If I had a choice between PredictWind on Iridium and SirusXM, I'd take PredictWind.

However no one has yet answered the question I asked on the other thread: how much data does it use? The purchase price for the equipment is approximately the same. The offshore package for Sirius is $60/month for continuous updates, for PredictWind you can get 5 minutes/mo for that, doubt you can even get a single forecast in 5 minutes? 150 minutes is $60 unlimited is $140/mo. I'm guessing you have to have the unlimited to really use it, can someone confirm? How long does it take to download a full forecast suite?

I've tried a short session on the PredictWind cell phone app and it downloaded 2.0 MB. At Iridium speeds that is something like 3 hours of data - although I'm sure they compress it for Iridium.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
Weather - SiriusXM marine for the PacNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
If I had a choice between PredictWind on Iridium and SirusXM, I'd take PredictWind.

However no one has yet answered the question I asked on the other thread: how much data does it use? The purchase price for the equipment is approximately the same. The offshore package for Sirius is $60/month for continuous updates, for PredictWind you can get 5 minutes/mo for that, doubt you can even get a single forecast in 5 minutes? 150 minutes is $60 unlimited is $140/mo. I'm guessing you have to have the unlimited to really use it, can someone confirm? How long does it take to download a full forecast suite?

I've tried a short session on the PredictWind cell phone app and it downloaded 2.0 MB. At Iridium speeds that is something like 3 hours of data - although I'm sure they compress it for Iridium.

I donít know how much data it would use but one should also consider that besides PredictWind weather you also get voice, email, SMS, and tracking and SOS for your IridiumGo dollars - and itís portable. Sirius XM you get weather and their music and talk programming - which (though I do have SXM in one of our cars) I would rather download from Spotify when I am in service and listen to what I actually want to listen to.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #24
DDW
Guru

OK, I did a little more digging. You can download the PredictWind offshore app and try it for free using a web connection. It is pretty good about giving you how much data you are requesting. For a small area (I tried the limits of Vancouver Island) you can get 4 wind models, wave data, observations, and predictions in <50kB. At their stated speed of 2.4kb/s that is about 3 minutes of air time if reception is good. They do specify that for boat use the outdoor antenna is required, so that makes the equipment buy-in about 2x the SiriusXM equipment. 3 minutes of airtime per download would give you 50 downloads in a month on the 150 minute plan, more than one a day. Have to add to that the PredictWind subscription itself.

Unfortunately, using the app, there are serious limitations compared to the PredictWind web app or iOS app. The high resolution wind predictions aren't available, and these are by far the most useful in the channels and close to shore. The Offshore app (required to use with Iridium) gives only the 50 km model, not the 25, 8, or 1km models. It is really only the 8 and 1 km models where you see the influence of terrain, very important in that area. I does show buoy and weather station observations, but then so did Sirius when I was there with it. Apparently you don't get any web access, and email is very limited. Tracking, SMS, and SOS I get on the Inreach which I already pay for (and it is far more portable). You don't get doppler radar or storm cell tracking, not essential but somewhat useful. You do get phone service, not available any other way.

Based on that experience, I'd say: I'd rather have PredictWind on their web app than SiriusXM. The satellite service in contrast isn't a clear win over SiriusXM for me, but costs about double. Of course others will have different ideas, needs, and priorities.

This isn't an academic exercise for me, I'm trying to decide what to install for the 5 months or so I expect to spend up there this summer.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Currently hiding out in Smith, NV, USA
https://youtu.be/eBR6L9yhqT0
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #26
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
OK, I did a little more digging. You can download the PredictWind offshore app and try it for free using a web connection. It is pretty good about giving you how much data you are requesting. For a small area (I tried the limits of Vancouver Island) you can get 4 wind models, wave data, observations, and predictions in <50kB. At their stated speed of 2.4kb/s that is about 3 minutes of air time if reception is good. They do specify that for boat use the outdoor antenna is required, so that makes the equipment buy-in about 2x the SiriusXM equipment. 3 minutes of airtime per download would give you 50 downloads in a month on the 150 minute plan, more than one a day. Have to add to that the PredictWind subscription itself.

Unfortunately, using the app, there are serious limitations compared to the PredictWind web app or iOS app. The high resolution wind predictions aren't available, and these are by far the most useful in the channels and close to shore. The Offshore app (required to use with Iridium) gives only the 50 km model, not the 25, 8, or 1km models. It is really only the 8 and 1 km models where you see the influence of terrain, very important in that area. I does show buoy and weather station observations, but then so did Sirius when I was there with it. Apparently you don't get any web access, and email is very limited. Tracking, SMS, and SOS I get on the Inreach which I already pay for (and it is far more portable). You don't get doppler radar or storm cell tracking, not essential but somewhat useful. You do get phone service, not available any other way.

Based on that experience, I'd say: I'd rather have PredictWind on their web app than SiriusXM. The satellite service in contrast isn't a clear win over SiriusXM for me, but costs about double. Of course others will have different ideas, needs, and priorities.

This isn't an academic exercise for me, I'm trying to decide what to install for the 5 months or so I expect to spend up there this summer.
Please let me know your conclusion as Iím in the same situation. And I also will carry a satellite phone for emergency use which I need to pick.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #27
Guru

Bowball,

In southeast Alaska I find for the most part cell coverage from ATT is good enough to get a weather forecast and observations about 70% of the time with marine VHF filling up 25% of the rest. If I can't get anything, I send an inReach text to a friend in Ketchikan for the current forecast if I think it is necessary. I do use a cell amp and have bookmarked the text observations locations and text forecast sites so the amount of data access is kept low. I can generally get the text forecasts and observations when I can't make a voice call.

You do need to modify the forecast by what you see and from current observations.

Tom
Old 01-19-2022, 02:41 PM   #28
DDW
Guru

For SE Alaska I have heard (and ATT claims) to have fair coverage. The mid BC coast though, is pretty barren. If I can get SiriusXM reception up to Juneau I'll probably go that way. I'm still waiting for the definitive answer from both Raymarine and Sirius regarding the Environment Canada marine zone forecasts. I can't speak to the differences between Raymarine and other brand SiriusXM weather apps - have only used Raymarine (for about 10 years, both coasts US and Canada, and the Bahamas). I'm a little surprised that they would be that different but could be.

The PredictWind Offshore app would be great for trans-oceanic sailboat passages - that is really their intended audience. Not really a bullseye for the channels of BC and AK, at least for my needs. If they would add the 1K forecasts, I might think differently.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #29
Guru

City: West coast
How far north though does XM reliably work? It’s really nicely integrated into the Furuno. I’d prefer to only use it for a three month period.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #30
Guru

Bowball

We had music all the way to Skagway so you run out of water before you run out of signal. The Skagway harbor had no service due to a mountain. After we deactivated the Garmin module, we replaced it with an Onyx SiriusXM receiver you would add after market in a car, and found the magnetic mount antenna worked even better than the specialized Shakespeare marine SiriusXM antenna. I just wished they could output the weather data from a device like that with a serial port. I found tuning satellite radio from an MFD clunky.

Tom

Tom
Old 01-20-2022, 07:38 PM   #31
DDW
Guru

A bit more info dribbling in on SiriusXM. Raymarine answers that whatever the SR200 module provides, they display. They source the SR200 from SiriusXM and it is Sirius that is responsible for the firmware and what comes out of it. The same is true for the Garmin, Simrad, Furuno, etc units.

Sirius says that is true, and these units are of various revs and ages, some older ones may not be as capable and don't have upgradable firmware. They are "running tests" on the SR200 to get me an answer to the specific question of Canadian forecasts. Raymarine does emphasize that the SR200 is flashable and therefore upgradable (the SR150 is not).
Old 01-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #32
Guru

DDW,

That’s a big trust me card from Raymarine. The SR200 may receive all the data that Sirius is sending, Raymarine has to process the data and write the software to display it. If they don’t store and process the Canadian data for display, then what the SR200 receives doesn’t matter.

Tom
Old 01-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #33
DDW
Guru

They are adamant that they display everything received. It would be great to find someone with a Raymarine SR200 to see if they can access those forecasts. As R.R. famously said, "Trust, but verify". Raymarine in recent years has been pretty good about firmware and software updates, 2 or 3 a year on their LHIII MFDs. Not just bug fixes, significant additions to function.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #34

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Tom, congrats on a new Helmsman 38E, that's a nice boat! If you're getting a new Garmin suite, it will be capable of SXM weather regardless of what you decide. The GXM 54 antenna can always be added at a later date if you push this off. I'm going through the same situation but I'm doing a Garmin helm update. the SXM antenna for this is almost exactly the same size as one of their GPS antennas, so it can be placed in the same kind of location on a radar mast or an arch; doesn't take much space.
We're going to go ahead and try it, we'll start with marine coastal, which is only $34.99/month and we can always turn it off later if we don't need it or are spending time off the boat.
By the way for those that also do SXM audio; you get a discount if you're doing both audio and weather.
From what i've seen I think we'll like having it, especially in places where cell service is spotty. Like I said, havent finished installing yet but we'll know in a few months....
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach FL
Vessel Name: Winterlude
Vessel Model: 2005 Hampton 558
Had it and dropped it. Waste of time and money. Very disappointed.
RLKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #36

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
I find AT&T service very limited for Southeastern Alaska. I can get a signal less than 50 percent of the time in my travels. Mostly wont work in the head of bays where we often anchor. On the other hand NOAA vhf weather works maybe 85 percent of the time. FM radio periodically will give local weather, however 20 percent of the time I canít get any FM reception in my travels. We live on the hook all summer and tend to more isolated areas.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #37
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKramer View Post
Had it and dropped it. Waste of time and money. Very disappointed.
Can you specify the equipment you used. Brand and model. We are learning that this makes a difference.

Did you not get reception? Or did not get what you wanted out of the reception?
Old 01-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #38
DDW
Guru

So finally a definitive answer from Sirius. Yes, the Canadian Marine Zone forecasts are rendered on the Axiom/SR200 combination, they are under a separate tab in the text forecasts and mirror what you see on the Environment Canada website. They sent me a screen capture showing exactlythat on a working system.

That, and the confirmation that I can get reception fairly far north has pushed me over the edge - I am ordering the SR200 for installation this Spring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	125354
Old 01-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #39
Guru

City: Miami
DDW you might find this link of interest.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/mar...ther-forecasts
Old 01-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #40
DDW
Guru

Gotta be a subscriber to read it.