VHF lightning Protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
Are these things worth it??

One stated, will protect against surges but not a direct strike.:banghead:

Your thoughts?

I have a worst case boat for lightning. Sailcats are some 9x more likely to take a strike than a trawler.
I will assume the VHF radio is your primary concern? A gas discharge tube device may have some benefit, under certain conditions. I took a direct strike on my radio station at home, zero damage to the connected receiver, and I had that type arrestor in line with 3 ground rods too. There was other damage here and there, however. And, it was a old tube radio.
But, I must say, the first step in lightning mitigation on a boat, well, 2nd step after insurance, is to protect the hull from damage. Have you thought about that? Just so happens, I finished hull safeguards on my boat, and haven't yet dealt with the more minor electronic bits. They are far more difficult, but less catastrophic from a sinking point of view.

I have no idea what a surge would be in tat case.... if lightning hots its a big deal. Maybe some sort of EMF form a nearby hit?

I was on my dad's boat many years ago and we took a hit on a CB radio antenna. No VHF, just CB..... it was a long time ago.
Anyway, the radio was blasted....and everything on the boat electrical that was on and operating was literally melted.... everything that was switched off came through ok. Windshield wiper motors one was on, one was off. Light bulbs some were on, some were off. The electronic ignition module on the operating engine....puddle of melted goo.
I'd imagine there's some hope for something breaking the circuit

Back
Top Bottom