Vessel FCC license and MMSI number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another unrelated question...

Does the station license go with the boat, and if no boat name change is there any reason a new owner couldn't take over the old owners MMSI number?

I just did a owner transfer; I don't see these "hoops". Get a new FCC license, and get a new MMSI. THat took me 30 minutes on-line from log in to paper copy of the new license. You should not use the "old" MMSI. They do not transfer to new owners.
There was one "hoop". Many pieces of equipment, VHF, AIS, won't allow users to change the imbedded MMSI. So, in the meantime, I'm broadcasting as a German flagged vessel. But, the DSC on VHF sends the correct #.

I'm not sure who issued your MMSI, maybe a different country?

You can transfer FCC-issued MMSIs to new owners. I did. Ibjust canceled it online and then they requested it by writing it into the corresponding blank on their application. It cost me nothing and saved them from having to adjust all of the radios, etc.

Does the station license go with the boat, and if no boat name change is there any reason a new owner couldn't take over the old owners MMSI number?

Good question, I thought the station fee went with the radio, not boat as long as it is valid.

This is another area where things get complicated.

The station license does NOT go with the boat. It is not transferable.

But counter to what someone said earlier, the MMSI is supposed to stay with the boat. But that can be easier said than done. One example cited so far is where the boat came to you with a foreign MMSI. In that case I expect you would want to change it to one from your flag nation. The other issue is that the MMSI is attached to the ships station (SA) license. So when a boat is sold, the SA gets cancelled which leaves the MMSI dangling. I think in theory you can apply for a new SA and say you want to reuse a particular MMSI, but I haven't tried it - at least not yet - but I have exactly this situation facing me now. I have also heard of a couple of cases where an MMSI number has ended up assigned to two boats. It's unclear just how this happened, but I suspect it has to do with MMSI's being reallocated after they have been released from some other SA.

The other issue is that the MMSI is attached to the ships station (SA) license. So when a boat is sold, the SA gets cancelled which leaves the MMSI dangling. I think in theory you can apply for a new SA and say you want to reuse a particular MMSI, but I haven't tried it - at least not yet - but I have exactly this situation facing me now.

I did this last year. Turned out to be simple and no-hassle. I sent a question to the FCC and got a very thorough and helpful answer stepping me through the process.

Here is the brief summary of the options they provided:

If the sale has not already taken place, an Assignment of Authorization can be filed. Instructions are below. If the sale has taken place (or if you'd rather take these steps), the previous license will need to be cancelled and then you can apply for a new one using the same MMSI. I will include two more articles with those instructions as well.

The articles they included in their reply were step-by-step instructions for each process.

Last edited:
My MMSI was a German registered #. Explains the flag when tracking me!
First two digits are a country code.

Just re did all mine this week for my new boat. FCC and coast guard plus I needed my new MMSI. I was impressed. 2nd day I had a email confirmation 3rd day everything was in the mail. Both are necessary if you if they can't identify you they will probably board you. Makes life easier if you do the right thing.

All mmsi were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Sorry Comodave. My warped sense of humor. A misspelled quote from Jabberwocky.

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,

Sorry Comodave. My warped sense of humor. A misspelled quote from Jabberwocky.

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,

No problem, I have never read that so it didn’t register with me. My wife says my sense of humor is so far gone that warped was well in my wake

This is about what the law IS. You can choose what you wish to get away with, but not the scope of this thread.
But, when you are NOT in the US, you are not bound by US law unless there some treaty or agreement that says otherwise. You are bound by the laws of the country you're in. I know that's a fact for aviation and for boating. However, one may be bound by more than what the local laws are, by agreements.

I love this.....so outside the US you can skip the regulations, BUT then the LOCAL enforcement will demand a LOCAL license...good luck with that in the med ..trying to get a FRENCH or ITALIAN radio license

The ships license is a small fee and the personal license is FREE, unlike in most countries......AND you get a REAL MMSI, which you use for your AIS

YES our US flagged boat is in Europe..and yes Proper station and individual license, if NOT a €350 fine, plus confiscation of radio equipment

I love this.....so outside the US you can skip the regulations, BUT then the LOCAL enforcement will demand a LOCAL license...good luck with that in the med ..trying to get a FRENCH or ITALIAN radio license

The ships license is a small fee and the personal license is FREE, unlike in most countries......AND you get a REAL MMSI, which you use for your AIS

YES our US flagged boat is in Europe..and yes Proper station and individual license, if NOT a €350 fine, plus confiscation of radio equipment

Didn't mean to say you can break the law... ANYWHERE. That's your choice.

There a some laws from some countries that are NOT enforceable in others. And there's some situations where countries come together and have a "common agreement" that affects both which folks must adhere to.

I've got the license, and spent the money on the toys I take to other countries.. it's not about saving money. I was looking for some form of agreement which makes the FCC able to make a law that affects operations in Canada... still not sure about it.

. I was looking for some form of agreement which makes the FCC able to make a law that affects operations in Canada... still not sure about it.

I don’t think you will find it in quite that form.

The FCC requires a license for international operation, but I doubt they are out enforcing it outside the US. Canada (just as an example) requires their own license, so when in Canada, you need one. Fortunately, Canada will accept you FCC license in lieu of their own license.

Now if you don’t have an FCC license and are on the radio when in Canada, you would be subject to US enforcement when you got back home because you broke a US law, even though it was outside US territory.

So I think that’s how it all links together.

Wow . . . So the real question is how difficult is it to reprogram an existing VHF(s), EPIRB (with MMSI #) with new MMSI number given from FCC . . .

Standing by -

I was looking for some form of agreement which makes the FCC able to make a law that affects operations in Canada... still not sure about it.

By treaty, most foreign countries waive their radio operating requirements for amateur radio (at least VHF and SSB) so long as the operator (and station) are licensed and operating legally in accordance with the laws of their host country. So, it isn't that US law applies in a foreign jurisdiction, it is that if you don't comply with US law, you are subject to local law. I have been boarded plenty of times by the Mexican Navy, and always have a packet of copies of everything they need to see -- my documentation, TIP (not money but Temporary Importation Permit), crew list, passports, etc., including FCC licenses for the radios. I have never had a problem.

Wow . . . So the real question is how difficult is it to reprogram an existing VHF(s), EPIRB (with MMSI #) with new MMSI number given from FCC . . .

Standing by -

Radios often have to be sent to the manufacturer or done by an authorized dealer, I believe EPIRBS have a registration number built in, no MMSI except what may be in your registration paperwork.

Last edited:

Standing by -

As I understand it, manufacturers are required by federal regulation to make re-programming MMSI #'s not a consumer function, but consumers are allowed one "mistake"; if they program the original MMSI # correctly then there will often be a consumer programable second try still available. Also, in some cases, reprogramming just requires a secret key sequence, which is known to dealers / certified installers. So, rather than remove the radio, it may be possible to have the reprogrammer come to your boat. My Furuno Class A AIS had to be reprogrammed (and I believe the same rules about consumer programmability apply to the MMSI stored in it) and I was able to "learn" the secret key sequence and successfully reprogram it myself, by talking to a knowledgeable person.

Tech needs to reprogram radios. You put the MMSI yourself when you buy them and install them as you’re setting them up.
You go on the internet to change ownership, who to notify, your contact info for things like epirbs. It’s easy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom