Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

City: North Jersey & Plattsburgh NY
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Vee vs Walk Around Berth

Vee berths look mighty cramped to me but I am not seeing a lot of talk about getting a bigger boat to get a walk around berth. Is the difference not as much as I would think? We are looking to do the great loop so 10 to 15 months straight on boat, also I am 6'4" wife is 5'10".

For now, we have dropped back from actively shopping to window shopping. Last winter when we going to see boats they were all stored for the winter with stuff piled on the berths so couldn't try out the berths.
AdkChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I am 6'2" so close to your height. For my wife and I, size of berth was one of the big considerations when boat shopping. I could not find a boat in the 32 foot range that would meet our needs. Admittedly, there could be one, we just did not find it. We did look at a lot of boats. The smallest boat we found that worked for us was the American Tug 34. Our Nordic Tug 37 has the forward master with a "queen" sized walk around berth (not 360, but bottom and both sides). The AT 34 has a similar berth. Our 37 is a 2 cabin boat whereas the AT 34 is a single cabin. We did not want a "side berth" where someone has to crawl over the other. True V berths can be cramped in "smaller" trawlers. The V berth in our Bavaria 36 sailboat was big. It was wider than a King size bed at the widest and about 6'8" long, so it can be done. We saw nothing even close in the v berth trawlers we looked at.
Good luck.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It all depends on the boat. We had a vee berth in a previous boat that had over 7’ on each side. Some are way shorter than that though. Really the only way to know is to lay down and see how it works for you. We have a boat with an aft cabin with a walk around queen. The forward cabin has an offset double. The forward cabin is used mostly for storage. If I were to live aboard for a year, I would not want to do it unless we had a walk around berth. Too much trouble making up the berth if it is against the bulkhead.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
How old are you and how easy are the V berths to get into and out of..
Island berth is easier esp. if you use a filler in the V berth.
Our V berth's seem awful high. Need a step up to get in and out comfortably. We are looking at redoing the mattress to make it thinner and lower.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I'm 6 feet and the V birth on my Mainship 400 is barely enough, but works. Much taller could be an issue.

Seems like the choice is a V birth or an aft cabin without a cockpit. I'd take the cockpit hands down. Now, if you go bitter you can have both.

I'm shopping now and looking at those options, but because I'm "depth challenged" as my dock, my choices are limited.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkChris View Post
Vee berths look mighty cramped to me but I am not seeing a lot of talk about getting a bigger boat to get a walk around berth.

We had V-berths, with inserts. We got a bigger boat in order to get a walk-around. Much easier in/out...

-Chris
Old 10-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
A walk around berth is very nice, in fact I wish I had one in my 36.

But beware of chine slap in the bow. It can be very annoying. Keep looking until you find an aft cabin with a walk around bed. You might have to buy an extra couple feet in length to get exactly what you want.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Our main bedroom had a walk-around queen, but first-world problems had us expand that to a king because... reasons Actually, it is two Twin XL mattresses in the space because getting a King down the hallway and into the bedroom wasn't going to happen. But is has turned out great.

Anyway, my issue with V-berths has less to do with size and more to do with orientation.With your feet forward, there is no headboard. Nothing to "prop" your pillows up on... which is something I have done my whole life. It feels like I am sleeping on the side of a cliff and any second my pillow will fall off into the void. Therefore, I have to try and scoot down, thus losing foot space. It always just feels awkward and I just can't seem to fall asleep up there. Well, that and we have a planing hull so chine slap is a huge issue too.

I am in the process of building a removable headboard so visitors (or myself) can sleep there with relative comfort knowing that their pillow will not fall into the fires of Mount Doom in the middle of the night. It's removable so getting in and out of the bed is easier and so I can continue to use the bed as a workbench of sorts.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #9

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
V-berths are also hard to make up. For me, 2 deal breakers on a long term cruising vessel are a walk around berth and an enclosed shower. 2 things that make a boat feel like a home.
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #10

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Some walk around doubles, queens, kings you can just buy off the shelf sheets that fit well enough; it's nice to not have to pay for custom size bedding.
Also if you get a boat large enough to have a laundry washer/dryer, many buyers don't necessarily consider whether the size of the bed means you cannot fit a full set of sheets in the washer.
I sometimes see larger yachts at boat shows and I have to laugh at the King+ massive master beds and I think; who needs or wants a bed that big? have fun dragging those sheets to a laundromat or dry cleaners, and what a huge waste of space when you could use that square footage for much more important things if you just settled for a double or even a modest queen..... of course that's the boat designer that is putting a big bed in for show.
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Slap drives a lot of people crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
A walk around berth is very nice, in fact I wish I had one in my 36.

But beware of chine slap in the bow. It can be very annoying. Keep looking until you find an aft cabin with a walk around bed. You might have to buy an extra couple feet in length to get exactly what you want.

pete
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
Guru

We had a V-berth master on our 50ft trawler. It was comfortable enough but did require us to sleep athwart to facilitate getting in and out. Being in the bow ther does tend o be more noise but you get used to that as well. Biggest negative about the V-berth came when we went to sell the boat. Seemed like most people want a "walk-around" and several "walked away" because of the V-berth alone.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
I sometimes see larger yachts at boat shows and I have to laugh at the King+ massive master beds and I think; who needs or wants a bed that big? have fun dragging those sheets to a laundromat or dry cleaners, and what a huge waste of space when you could use that square footage for much more important things if you just settled for a double or even a modest queen..... of course that's the boat designer that is putting a big bed in for show.
One of our favorite boats was our GB50 with a walk around King bed. Loved it! Can't think of any better use of that space. May have a correlation to the size of the person making the judgement. I never once thought about the size of the sheets when taking them to the laundromat.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #14
Guru

Sledge: Was it the same vessel that we saw In Newport one year that had an 8-burner professional gas range on a 55ft vessel?
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Standard king sized bed and sheets for us.
Full walk around.
Laundry on board, no need to take ashore
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I wish we had a king size bed in our boat, we have a walk around queen. A king would be nice since our 85 pound lab sleeps in bed with us. A walk around is an absolute must. We have an offset full size in the forward cabin and it is a PITA to make up. The same with a vee berth. We ordered a memory foam mattress from Amazon. I paid extra for 1 day delivery. The marina helped me get the old mattress out. Night came and no new mattress. I called Amazon and the person offered me $5 for the inconvenience. I said give me to a manager. Explained the problem and the manager refunded me the price of the mattress and the expedited shipping cost. So the mattress is really comfortable since it was free.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #17

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Sledge: Was it the same vessel that we saw In Newport one year that had an 8-burner professional gas range on a 55ft vessel?
Ha! you're probably right! To be clear, we are blessed on our AT41 to have a full size stacked washer and (vented) dryer, which we absolutely love. our master is athwartships midship below with a queen walkaround and yes we can wash all our sheets. As seen in this discussion everyone has their personal preference but we love our queen size mattress and we've never had a desire for a king; we'd never use that much space.
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #18

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
The vee berth in my Mainship 34 is the one thing I don’t like about it. When the filler is in it’s very difficult to get out of the berth. When the filler is not in, each side is too narrow for me and I never get a good sleep. It’s too high so we have to have a step stool there all the time and it’s constantly in the way. Any boat I get in the future will not have a vee berth.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkChris View Post
Vee berths look mighty cramped to me but I am not seeing a lot of talk about getting a bigger boat to get a walk around berth. Is the difference not as much as I would think? We are looking to do the great loop so 10 to 15 months straight on boat, also I am 6'4" wife is 5'10".
We have had both and even went from a walkaround queen on one boat to a v berth on the next.

This became one of two essential items when choosing our current boat (1. walk around berth, 2. walk in engine room).

So yes for us it is of prime consideration. Our last V berth required that we 'caterpillar' down the bed to get out. Not at all elegant or comfortable now we are in our 60/70s.
~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Alpharetta, GA
Vessel Name: About Time
Vessel Model: Meridian 368
We're currently shopping for our next boat as well for extended cruising. We've decided that a walkaround is a firm requirement which limits us to an aft cabin. Our current boat is an aft cabin with a queen but still is not a walkaround which we find very inconvenient. On one side it's a 'squeeze around'. We want a full beam aft cabin not only for the walkaround but also for the additional storage space that comes with a larger cabin. We've slept in our v-berth a couple of times. No way that we'd want to do that on a regular basis.