UT limit for AP compass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obx

Hopefully someone will be able to help:
I'm installing a Simrad Precision 9 compass. Everything says to stay 3 ft away from electrical wiring/devices.
But what is the maximum UT?

It probably has something to do with magnetic field strength for which one of the units used is "T" (Tesla).

The Greek letter "mu" looks a bit like a "U", so "UT" might refer to microTesla (millionth of a Tesla). As for measuring this . . .

Attachments

• MicroTesla.PNG
    MicroTesla.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 19
From the installation manual:

The compass calibrates itself automatically while the boat is turning in a circle. However, the automatic calibration process must be triggered by user action. During the calibration, the compass will measure the magnitude and direction of the local magnetic field. If the local magnetic field is stronger than the earth’s magnetic field (the local field is reading more than 100%), the compass calibration will fail. If the local field is reading more than 30%, you should look for any interfering magnetic objects and remove them, or you should move the compass to a different location. The local field angle will guide you to the local interfering magnetic object.

You can also download an iPhone app from Gemeco that has a magnetometer that measures microteslas.

I don't think that the Simrad manual mentions microteslas.

Can you post a good photo of the manual page in question that shows the UT.

Your description is ????. Maybe someone will recognize the symbol, abbreviation.

Nick F is on the right track, UT is what magnetic field is measured in. I have a Gauss Meter an my boat is between 40 an 48 UT's (or 4 to 4.8 X 10). I was trying to find the lowest magnetic field to place the compass on my 1989 GB 42 classic. Sorry if there was confusion. I was assuming there would be a limit of magnetic field.

Back
Top Bottom