Old 07-29-2021, 04:29 PM   #1

City: Syracuse
Trawler Flip?

Does anyone recall seeing this boat for sale many months ago? It appears to me they've now painted or covered several inside cabin walls underneath the windows. I like the model, really a deep-V cruiser with a trawler style cabin structure.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...utter-3713133/
peterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I can't answer the OP question, but a cruise at 22 MPH, what kind of fuel burn??
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #3

high fuel burn

I would bet its about 30-40 gallons/hr at 22 mph. I wouldn't run that speed very far, but nice to have for short runs when in a hurry.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Jupiter
Great looking boat, but only 195 hrs on the engines. Probably not enough for a 13 year old boat. I'd be sure to get a good engine surveyor that knows what to look for on engines that are not run often enough.
TBill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Taylor
Vessel Name: Landfall
Vessel Model: Dover Craft/Bruce Roberts 43
I do, at least 6 months ago, seems like it was a little rough in spots back then.
Landfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A Sandy casualty? Its been on YW a long time.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg View Post
Does anyone recall seeing this boat for sale many months ago? It appears to me they've now painted or covered several inside cabin walls underneath the windows. I like the model, really a deep-V cruiser with a trawler style cabin structure.

link doesn't work for me
Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would pay maybe half of asking at best.... I have never heard great things about these North Sea versions and the older Albin Taiwan boats have been a real disappointment to me in construction...good thing is they can be had inexpensively.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #9
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
The verbage in the YW description reads like a "sales pitch". IMO something is hidden. This statement stood out and should be verifiable " this boat was moved around to go to the shows, nice low hour boat without sitting too long that's not good when equipment sits we would not have bought her if that were the case." What broker writes in caps" NO PETTY SURVEYOR LIST WILL BE ADDRESSED ". I would proceed with caution remebering the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwk View Post
The verbage in the YW description reads like a "sales pitch". IMO something is hidden. This statement stood out and should be verifiable " this boat was moved around to go to the shows, nice low hour boat without sitting too long that's not good when equipment sits we would not have bought her if that were the case." What broker writes in caps" NO PETTY SURVEYOR LIST WILL BE ADDRESSED ". I would proceed with caution remebering the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.
I wouldn't bother in the first place. Too many red flags. Move on.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Don't recall seeing it before, but then I would have stopped reading at the Volvo power.

The breathless sounding ad narrative is indeed a red flag. Lots of hype from a broker (or "liquidator?) who apparently had a bad experience with a yacht surveyor. Tip: better get used to addressing surveyor's lists in this business.

Speaking of hype, not sure what I see in the Albin that is legitimately "North Sea cutter." That photo trying to compare this recreational yacht to an actual workboat in serious offshore conditions was frankly hilarious.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
Guru

Yes, that last picture is laughable and has nothing to do with this boat. I also notice they said some of the pics are brochure pics. Looks nice but I wouldn't bother.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #13

I agree with most replies re being put-off by the sales ad. However, for a newbie starting a boat search, one thing this boat brings out is the difficulty in assessing stained woodwork under windows and portholes. Hard to tell if its just on the surface, or if a hidden core is rotten. Several examples on this forum of major repair work in this area. It seems that many, if not most, boats over 15-20 years hold have this symptom to some degree.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #14

City: Maitland
Quote:
NO PETTY SURVEYOR LIST WILL BE ADDRESSED
OK... I'm fairly new... but I always assumed the survey (house inspection) was for the buyer to know what they are getting into. I've never heard of a seller being REQUIRED to make repairs. Can't the seller simply say... "Nope... not going to fix that. Give the buyer their money back."?
tpfbdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #15

City: south kingstown
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 36
Quote:
The picture that is referred to in the ad is of a steel hull trawler, so yea, not the same boat.
ronobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Irmo SC
Vessel Name: Passage
Vessel Model: 2010 Mainship 395
Trawler Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg View Post

It was on the market in mid 2019. I remember looking at it online when we were searching for a boat.
sndbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #17
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
What broker writes in caps" NO PETTY SURVEYOR LIST WILL BE ADDRESSED "
Broker must have read your thread comment because I couldn't find that verbiage in the ad.

I get tired of reading the usual cliches like "barn door size rudder" or "tracks like it's on rails" or "bulletproof engine." Perhaps I'll show up with my .458 Win-mag and then we'll see just how bullet proof that engine really is!

Would make a great Tik-Tok video
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #18

City: Miami, FL
I agree that this was listed in 2019. I also agree that it referred to a steel boat. It had a long back story about being built for the builders themselves. And there were fabulous galley pictures. Then…
Lookin2Loop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:58 AM   #19

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Betty Gail
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
I saw that boat offered at ~$200K a year ago when we were looking for a trawler. It seemed overpriced then so we went for a 2006 MS 400 for less money instead.

"Proceed as the way opens."
rwstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #20

City: NYC, NY
HA!.. That's Charlie Abruzzo at Red Line Liquidators - he really is quite a piece of work. He actually has some good boats but he personally has a lot of rough edges that you kind of have to be a NYer or NJer to appreciate. Overall he is a good guy who gets some good boats but you really have to deal with his personality. He doesn't mind a survey but he pretty much prices boats as-is.
I'd definitely buy a boat from him again if he had what I wanted.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote