Transiting to & from Desolation Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020ENV0019-000645s
or go to any park page, allowit to load and this banner will come up...

It is dark now, and I see no anchor lights in Conover Cove. Earlier this afternoon there was one boat visible.
This afternoon the news reported all Provincial Parks being closed. The website confirms, as per the banner posted by Northern Spy.
This completes the total shut down of recreational boating here in BC.

This completes the total shut down of recreational boating here in BC

Not clear why boating ends because of Provincial park closures. In Desolation Sound there are marine Parks and I haven't checked all anchorages but I suspect some are not in a park boundary. In the link below, discussing Desolation marine park closures, it's all land based:

Desolation Sound Marine Provincial Park - BC Parks

So for example, I understand the Squirrel's Cove marina and store etc is closed to visitors, but to be at anchor in the back bay would still be available as long as one didn't dinghy into the marina.

There are all kinds of gunkholes in Desolation and Jervis Inlet, etc:

https://www.amazon.ca/Gunkholing-Desolation-Sound-Princess-Louisa/dp/0931923034

As below is an article that is quite current, January 2020:

GUNKHOLING: THE LOST ART OF CRUISING
January 22, 2020
Won't you join us so we may properly introduce you to GUNKHOLING?
While Gunkholing may sound like a smelly and messy activity, it is for many cruisers the ultimate goal in cruising. It is finding the small, quaint, and most importantly private place to drop anchor.

GUNKHOLING, according to Wikipedia is a boating term referring to a type of cruising in shallow or shoal water, meandering from place to place, spending the nights in coves. The term refers to the gunk, or mud, typical of the creeks, coves, marshes, sloughs, and rivers that are referred to as gunkholes. Because of the slow pace, this type of cruising is best enjoyed by those cruising by sailboat or trawler. While not necessary, gunkholers typically seek out the serenity of isolated anchorages over the crowds of marinas and popular bays.

GUNKHOLING – COOPER STYLE

We hold that gunkholing embodies the ultimate cruising lifestyle – it’s one of those rare experiences that is best enjoyed slowly and deliberately. Gunkholing is the type of cruising that makes our coast one of the best locales on the planet. We are blessed with 1,000s of kilometers of wilderness coastline where the mountains fall right into the sea. We have marinas that range the luxury to quirky. Those that are in the wilderness to ones that in the center of major cities. Anchorages where you can be the only boat to ones with over a hundred boats. Where can even boast a few anchorages with water warm enough for comfortable swimming.

Some prefer to conquer oceans; we thrive on a good cup of coffee in a peaceful anchorage or quaint marina. Some would spend days and days aboard; we prefer a shoreside adventure such as a hike under the canopy of our coastal rainforest. Some brandish their swords as they battle other boats on a race course; we prefer to raft up to our fellow boats and make a few new friends.

The magic of gunkholing is really a collection of small experiences that weave together into the fabric of our boating community. It is impossible to fully describe what one gains by embracing the gunkholing lifestyle with a passage of words, but here is a small sample of the threads that combine to provide the allure of this pastime:

The satisfaction of piloting your boat into an unfamiliar harbour by making
reference to the local charts and publications
The joy of kids exploring tidal pools
Flashing the barbeque up after a day of cruising from one island to the next.
Beachcombing poker – win or lose those treasures found earlier in the day
Sitting back and watch an eagle dive for her dinner right next to you
The playful banter as we line up at the pilgrimage to the shoreside showers with a towel and kit in tote
The camaraderie of flotilla cruising
Watching the best in people come out as they assist with docking, mechanical challenges and tips as to the best spot to catch shellfish, take a dip or find the elusive baked goods
Sharing the waters with orca whales, dolphins, harbour seals and sea lions

The term originates from that spectacular gunk that oozes off an anchor as it breaks the water.

I don't know what it is like on Saltspring but in Qualicum people are out and about, just keeping their distance. In fact I'm an introvert so very little change in my routine. I walk my dog in an excellent dog trail area and the traffic has died down but there are people out everyday and every day we talk to each other but a few more feet between us.

If you go to the path that follows the ocean in Qualicum, way more people out on it now than ever before. Where I live, an area called Eaglecrest, many more people on bikes and walking. The routine is to talk to the folks, you on one side of the road, them on the other.

In fact I would say people are out more now than before, just as the French Creek Marina is busier than ever, try telling sports fisherman to stay home. But these guys drive in, dump their boat at the put in, jump in it and power away, and back roughly four hours later, boat back on the trailer and gone.

Desolation and the Broughtons are probably the safest places to be other than those living in the high north. I'm guessing not to much coronavirus in Pond Inlet.

For those not familiar with Pond Inlet: [Images]

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...oAhVYu54KHZITCREQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1920&bih=937

Keith, you need to get out more and suck up that Vitamin D, thow a line in the water and catch a fish, or maybe you just need a Snickers.

PS: Vancouver Island is ahead of the rest of North America for flattening the curve, recent statistics bare that out.

Bear.

Parks are closed to “all access.” It might be an argument that waters are federal and open to all, except WG, where you might get shot.

The best are in parks but there are a few that are great and not parks. The only way to stop you boating is closing marinas, fuel docks and provisioning sites...oh right...wait...

Wording around the marine parks mentions everything from beaches, hiking trails, mooring buoys etc., but nothing specific about anchoring. With that in mind I've fired off an email to the parks folks to clarify anchoring and dinghy/kayak exploring without touching land. If I hear anything back (within a couple of months!), I'll post it.

Wording around the marine parks mentions everything from beaches, hiking trails, mooring buoys etc., but nothing specific about anchoring. With that in mind I've fired off an email to the parks folks to clarify anchoring and dinghy/kayak exploring without touching land. If I hear anything back (within a couple of months!), I'll post it.

That'd be great.

I guess I could ask the local CO's, RCMP, and Coast Guard who might end up enforcing the rule. But not sure if I want to poke them bears...

Last edited:
Bear.

Parks are closed to “all access.” It might be an argument that waters are federal and open to all, except WG, where you might get shot.

The best are in parks but there are a few that are great and not parks. The only way to stop you boating is closing marinas, fuel docks and provisioning sites...oh right...wait...

Theoretically, the water you navigate through is regulated by the Navigable Waters Act and controlled federally.

However in this case a lease hold of the water above the land is granted usage to the Province.

Plus the seabed that your anchor will be on Aquatic Crown Land which is also owned and managed by the Province. All of the seabed between Vancouver Island and the mainland is Provincial.

I got schooled on this when I moved the hulks in front of Powell River as it involved water lots, the seabed, navigable waters and what not. Reclaimed land over sea bed is another whole interesting hassle.

Of course, things may have changed.

I wouldn't want to test it, but I would ask as Conrad is. I found that the government officials I dealt with love to answer questions and were very helpful. I also learned from other people's actions, that do not hesitate to punish offenders, often harshly.

Redrascal,

A webcam for you from Powell River looking towards Comox, well actually, Texada.

https://www.prpeak.com/webcam

Just looked at the camera, not enough wind to keep the bugs away. Another glorious day up there.

New question with NW wind back in the forecast. On our last night(Friday) we were going to anchor in Henry Bay on the North end of Denman Island. We were required to get the boat back at the dock and fueled by 9:00am Saturday morning. Current Canadian marine forecast shows NW 15-25 Friday evening. Henry Bay doesn't look very good with a NW 15-25 forecast. We could always go into the marine for the night but we would prefer to be on the hook. I don't mind some wind hitting the boat at anchor but would like to avoid being on the windward side of a beach. Is Sandy Island an option, Navionics says it's day only anchoring. On the park website I didn't see information about no overnight anchoring. Looks good enough to get out of some chop and wind to me. Union Bay across from Henry Bay looks like there is enough room for one boat to tuck in out of the wind just north of the boat ramp. Would Union Point block much NW wind if you anchored south of the boat ramp or would a NW wind just wrap around the point and blast you.

Just told my wife I'll file my notes away from this thread for when we get to do the trip for real.

Re the question of anchoring in BC Marine Parks during the current provincial parks closure, I just received this response from BC Parks....

ParkInfo ENV:EX <ParkInfo@victoria1.gov.bc.ca>
17:09 (1 hour ago)
to me

HI Conrad,

Thank you for writing in. Our closure applies to all areas within the boundaries of provincial parks, including anchorages. Please see the map at Visiting - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia if you are concerned about a particular area.

I hope you and your family are safe and healthy.

All the best,

Brett Yerex
BC Parks Information Team

Using the map provided in the previous post - #71 - many areas in and around Desolation and surrounding areas are not parks. I have noticed in the last few days, more boats are in that area than in the past three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom