Old 07-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Sturgeon
Thoughts on a Seapiper

I’m toying with ordering one of these:

Seapiper.com

And am interested in anyone’s thoughts. I would do some gunkholing, coastal cruising and maybe a trip or two to the Bahamas. I would have a trailer built I already have that worked out with the trailer manufacturer.

Probably trailer to an inland lake or two. I’d get the diesel generator option, dual air conditioning, radar, all the instruments offered. Rear thruster (bow thruster is standard). Extra fuel tankage (260 gal total), bimini and davits. Probably a few other odds and ends I’m not thinking of.

I’ve been a sailboater for 30 years, cruised and lived for a number of years aboard. Hurricane took my last boat, just have a trailer sailer now.

Most cruisers spend 50% of their time motoring anyway, many won’t leave the dock without the motor running, so this is not that different than much sailboating in range and speed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
If you like the layout then go for it. Many don't like it including me.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I like them.

In our area anchoring can be a pain with big tides, deep water, and minimal anchoring on the slopes of creek/river outwash fans...the dance is having enough rode out, not swinging onto drying estuary flats on the falling tide, and not having the anchor plucked out of the slope if strong outflow winds blow down the valley.

Was talking with a fellow yesterday on the docks who built himself a very similar hull. I asked if he ever purposefully let his boat dry out on falling tides. He said he did quite often, and also sneaks a wee bit into rivers & creeks and finds a pool deep enough to drop the anchor. This way he avoids all the issues in the paragraph above.

Makes sense to me.

Getting extra capacity for fuel is always a good idea, because it lets you stay 'out there' longer without having to come back to civilization for fuel.

Call me a fan
Old 07-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
You will be into it for around $200,000 with the A/C and trailer. Not too bad I guess.

I demand a flybridge. It would be a deal killer for me.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
...I demand a flybridge. It would be a deal killer for me...
Extra weight up high is a deterrent for some of us.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I figure $250,000 with Bimini, davits etc and a trailer. Add an inflatable, decent outboard and maybe a life raft and it would be that if not more. Soon it’ll be serious money!

I’m not totally in love with the layout - having the center cockpit enclosed would be better, but one owner had a Bimini over the top and snap in windows to make it a reasonable compromise.

It looks a little like a toy and not a serious boat for open water, but probably as capable as the sailboats I crossed long passages with. It’s a big step - I’m undecided.

austinsailor.net/stindex.html
Old 07-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are a number of questions I’ll have for the builder if I get serious enough to proceed. Like - with 2 100 gallon fuel tanks, and assuming another 60 gallon aux tank, how do you use all the fuel without sucking air when one gets low? Seems like a day tank is needed. I had that problem with the big flat tanks in the belly of my Cheoy Lee, solved it with a 25 gallon day tank. I need to understand how to avoid that problem.

A lot to worry about.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I personally could not live with the look and layout, but that's just opinion, if you like it I would guess it's a capable cruiser though I haven't seen too much first-hand knowledge yet. Are the fuel tanks not connected? My boat has (2) 90 gal tanks that are teed together to feed the engine. I know it's not a "perfect" setup but it works well. I never have a concern of running 1 down too far that it would suck air.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #9
Guru

If a boat is an end unto itself and that's where you spend most of your time, then a Seapiper probably isn't for you.

If a boat is a means to get somewhere remote so you can pursue other interests, either by kayak/dinghy or exploring ashore, then a Seapiper fits the bill.

All business, little *bling*
Old 07-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Let me ask this - is there another choice, new or used - that is both trailerable and capable of going offshore like this one should be? Not really blue water capable, and I wouldn't consider this one that, but, with a reasonable eye on the weather, safe to make shorter passages?

I’ve spent a fair amount of time searching things like sailboatdata.com and numerous ways to search for trawlers for something trailerable - this is the best I could find. I’ve considered Pacific Seacraft’s small sailboats, but even though they are probably tougher and trailerable, it’s quite a chore to do it.

Are there others that are capable I should think of?

I have talked to one owner, he loves his and is willing to let me visit and poke around, but right now he’s - of all things - off cruising! I might drive to where he is and take a look, though.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thought;

The boat’s too narrow to have the helm station aft and see where your going. Move it fwd .. say to midship and it would be OK and maybe the ride too. I don’t know what you’d do w the very short deck-space ahead of the wheelhouse tho.

Would like to be more familiar w the hull and all the performance specs. Weight, speed and power requirements.

Austinsailor wrote;
“Let me ask this - is there another choice, new or used - that is both trailerable and capable of going offshore like this one should be?”
I think there is. Albin25. But it’s a lot shorter/smaller boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A friend had an Albin 25, diesel. I understand they could be rigged as a sailboat, his was not. I moved it on land for him, saw it in the water but never went on water in it. But - it was small, and looked to me like it would bounce around like a cork. Looked more appropriate, less like a toy, but I don’t think functionally it would make me very happy. I’m sure my girlfriend would like it even less! But - thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
To heck with the flybridge. The boat's too narrow to be reasonably stable for one on top.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
If a boat is an end unto itself and that's where you spend most of your time, then a Seapiper probably isn't for you.

If a boat is a means to get somewhere remote so you can pursue other interests, either by kayak/dinghy or exploring ashore, then a Seapiper fits the bill.

All business, little *bling*

Great observation!

I can see this boat as a couple's dive, fish and general use boat. It would be a fun weekender.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #15

City: lockhart
My wife and I were just looking at Seapiper. We've studied the website and watched some YouTube videos. We're also looking at other getaway stuff like RVs ( we already have an RV by the way ). The Seapiper is very appealing to us. We don't need a flybridge - and don't want "top heavy." We know the Seapiper is nor for offshore trips. It, like everything else, is a compromise. When looking at RVs for year we looked at everything from popup campers to 42 foot buses. This has more room, that one is lighter weight, that one is too tall, that one is too short, etc....

Of course the Seapiper is a compromise. But we love it and are seriously considering buying one. The fact that it's trailerable and that we already have an F450 is a plus. We love the middle cockpit for us (we're old) and our grandkids. We love the minuscule aft area for sitting while having morning coffee. We would get the new mid cockpit Bimini option.

Of course we'd rather have a Fleming or a Nordhavn. But, $$$.

We say go for it. It's a wonderful "compromise."
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I think the Seapiper is a great idea. It isn’t the boat for me and my circumstances, but I like the cocept. If I recall, the boat will also fit in a shipping container. If true, that opens up some very interesting possibilities.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
"large hanging closet". I have learned, it is more than enough for me but, if you have a lady onboard, you better think about YOUR clothes below decks in a plastic box or two. Maybe she will let you hang a sport jacket in the closet. LOL
IF you are doing the AICW fine, there are many places to stop and get fresh food (small refrigerator). Canned goods and spices can be store in the galley and below deck area. Dont forget the SeaKeeper, is surprisingly small, then the A/C and generator Hint: the below deck storage area is getting smaller.
Even my 34AT lacks storage, specifically the hanging closet, and it has a much wider beam.
On the SeaPiper, there is no oven other than the microwave.
Per the head, I am not in favor of a wet head.
V berths .... nawwww.
The need for an autopilot is a given. Stern thruster to assist in docking if you are going to do a lot of single handed. I suggest an owner investigate a DockMaster and perhaps a external remote rudder control.
I am on the down hill side of life so I want easy to access, easy to use creature comforts.
There is a definite need and use for this boat if trailering is a high priority but, do not over look the other options if trailering is that important.
I like the boat but it does not fit into my life style. I do wish the folks at SeaPiper great success and I hope they sell lots of boats.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
"large hanging closet". I have learned, it is fine for me but, if you have a lady onboard, you better think about YOUR clothes below decks in a plastic box. Maybe she will let you hang a sports jacket in the closet. LOL
IF we are doing the AICW fine, there are many places to stop and get fresh food. Canned goods can be store in the below deck area. Dont forget the SeaKeeper with is surprisingly small, the A/C and generator Hint: the below deck storage area is getting smaller.
Even my 34AT lacks storage, specifically the hanging closet, and it has a much wider beam.
On the SeaPiper, there is no oven other than the microwave.
Per the head, I am not in favor of a wet head and I see no mention of a holding tank so I guess if has a composting stool?
The need for an autopilot is a given. Stern thruster to assist in docking if you are going to do a lot of single handed. I suggest an owner investigate a DockMaster and perhaps a wired external rudder control.
I am on the down hill side of life so I want easy to access, easy to use creature comforts.
There is a definite need and use for this boat if trailering is a high priority but, do not over look the other options if trailering is that important.
I like the boat but it does not fit into my life style. I do wish the folks at SeaPiper great success and I hope they sell lots of boats.
You live aboard, right? Nobody is suggesting the Seapiper as a live aboard
Old 07-03-2021, 11:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I certainly don't have liveaboard in mind. 40 Cheoy Lee worked, this would not. I envision a week or so max unless going to the Bahamas, then a month or two. Also, I would get the optional freezer. Did I mention that my motto is, "when the ice is gone, the fun is over"? I even installed refrigeration and an autopilot on my 23' trailer sailor!

I doubt I'd get the stabilizer, never needed it before, never been seasick. Shade (ie, bimini) is critiical. On my sail boating, I considered 3 things critical - shade, autopilot and refrigeration. Most every other gadget I could work around.

I'll have to say, the looks don't do a lot for me, but the functionality is appealing.

Thanks for the feedback, you all have made some good points.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
You live aboard, right? Nobody is suggesting the Seapiper as a live aboard
Of course I live aboard. If I/we could not live aboard I would have bought another condo in FL LOL
My tug can be trailered with great difficulty but it needs a lift to get it on and off the trailer. Plus special permits to transport it. LOL
Perhaps the SeaPiper could be a live aboard, in the proper configuration, but, the owner's would need a great sense of humor and understanding. SMILE
The idea of going across the an open center cockpit to use the head just isn't my style.
As I said, the Seapiper is a great "concept boat" with a few compromises. There is a place for this boat and I wish the company great success. I do hope they sell lots of boats. For me, it does not fit my life style.

Another example of a good boat for the loop was the PDQ trawler. It just couldnt remain in production until its market fully developed.