Termites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found dry wood termine droppings in my old SoCal boat's forward stateroom. Pulled down the ceiling and they had eaten one or two of the shims/spacers that set the interior ceiling off of the deck above. I sprayed with home depot spray, replaced the wood and put it all back together.

A few weeks later they were back. Same deal. I did the same thing, except replaced the shims with composite wood and drilled into the wood under the nearby windows to find tunnels and filled them with the same spray. Reassembled.

6 months later, the same drill, but on the other side in the head.

Must have been 6 months after that, shortly after I'd sold the boat, the new owner reached out about the history -- he had suddenly found a ton of droppings in the salon. He had it tented.

I was at the boat probably 6 months after that and saw droppings in the forward head. I think the belief was that they were from before the tenting (owner was recovering from a health setback that happened right after the tenting and was just getting back to getting the boat ready).

I haven't heard about any problems since, so I think he either broke whatever cycle I had going on or got more lucky. He also changed marinas. Some at the old marina believed there was a long infested boat there, but no one I knew well and trusted claimed knowledge of that.

The only way I've known of boats ridding themselves of termites is by tenting.

The only way I've known of boats ridding themselves of termites is by tenting.

I say respectfully and in humor :dance: :lol:

Or... Fahrenheit 451! :eek: :facepalm:

:popcorn: :socool:

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom