Surveyor’s Tales on the Miami River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garbler

Guru
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
It was late August in New England and the days were clear, dry and perfect but I was boarding an Eastern flight for Miami for a nice couple who ran a hotel in Hyannis. They had their eye on a big aluminum Chris Craft Roamer. It was a 73’ classic looking motor yacht with a pair of Detroit 12V71’s. The story was it just arrived at Merrill-Stevens Shipyard on the Miami River from Puerto Rico. As I understood it there were only a couple of these ever made at their Pompano Beach facility. I’d never seen one before and could find little information on this vessel but carried my KB ultrasonic thickness instrument knowing well that old aluminum can have serious wastage.

We I arrived I found the boat had been at the yard about two weeks where the yard blasted the hull, made some plate repairs, new props & Cutlass bearings, and a pricey three step bottom paint job including acid etch followed a wet alodine conversion coat and two coats of epoxy paint and antifoulant. Typical first rate Merrill-Stevens work. It was hot and thick typical late Summer Miami River day so within minutes I was sweating and my paperwork started to wrinkle and curl up. As I moved aft out of the forward stateroom I noticed both little bright green tree frogs under the toilet seats, and green big eyed Gekos on the curtains, blinds and woodwork. The buyer came in an ask how it was going and I mentioned the little passengers. He grabbed my shoulder and in a low voice said please don’t mention this around my wife. She is spooked by this kind of stuff and will walk out.

I completed the survey the next day and we all set around the table where I went through my recommendations. Behind the buyer and to her side I could see three bright green Gekos on the blinds and a locker panel grate. Her husband and the broker were visibly nervous and I kept my eyes on the job and mouth shut. They signed some paperwork and the woman and the the rest of us were all hot and sweating and wanted to move to the yard office with AC. On the way out the woman says ‘ aren’t those little lizards the owner placed on the blinds kind of cute ‘. She was about to grab one to look closer when the broker grabbed her elbow and helped her up the steps. Sale saved.

Last edited:
Better than the New River in downtown Ft Lauderdale where a 5-6 foot Iguana was eyeballing me from the bulkhead a few feet away through the head window while I was taking a shower. :D

Reminded me of Jurassic Park. The Iguana may have really freaked out someone who is freaked by tree frogs (very common) and small lizards (beyond abundant) in South Florida.

Heaven forbid a big alligator or a 15 foot python becoming all too abundant. :eek:

Better than the New River in downtown Ft Lauderdale where a 5-6 foot Iguana was eyeballing me from the bulkhead a few feet away through the head window while I was taking a shower. :D

Reminded me of Jurassic Park. The Iguana may have really freaked out someone who is freaked by tree frogs (very common) and small lizards (beyond abundant) in South Florida.

Heaven forbid a big alligator or a 15 foot python becoming all too abundant. :eek:

Yes iguanas have scared the crap out me. They are big and never seem to move you just turn your head and this motionless big lizard is right next to you with eyes the size of a cue ball. Apparently they taste good but I’ll take the native’s word on it.

Rick

It was late August in New England and the days were clear, dry and perfect but I was boarding an Eastern flight for Miami for a nice couple who ran a hotel in Hyannis. They had their eye on a big aluminum Chris Craft Roamer. It was a 73’ classic looking motor yacht with a pair of Detroit 12V71’s. The story was it just arrived at Merrill-Stevens Shipyard on the Miami River from Puerto Rico. As I understood it there were only a couple of these ever made at their Pompano Beach facility. I’d never seen one before and could find little information on this vessel but carried my KB ultrasonic thickness instrument knowing well that old aluminum can have serious wastage.

We I arrived I found the boat had been at the yard about two weeks where the yard blasted the hull, made some plate repairs, new props & Cutlass bearings, and a pricey three step bottom paint job including acid etch followed a wet alodine conversion coat and two coats of epoxy paint and antifoulant. Typical first rate Merrill-Stevens work. It was hot and thick typical late Summer Miami River day so within minutes I was sweating and my paperwork started to wrinkle and curl up. As I moved aft out of the forward stateroom I noticed both little bright green tree frogs under the toilet seats, and green big eyed Gekos on the curtains, blinds and woodwork. The buyer came in an ask how it was going and I mentioned the little passengers. He grabbed my shoulder and in a low voice said please don’t mention this around my wife. She is spooked by this kind of stuff and will walk out.

I completed the survey the next day and we all set around the table where I went through my recommendations. Behind the buyer and to her side I could see three bright green Gekos on the blinds and a locker panel grate. Her husband and the broker were visibly nervous and I kept my eyes on the job and mouth shut. They signed some paperwork and the woman and the the rest of us were all hot and sweating and wanted to move to the yard office with AC. On the way out the woman says ‘ aren’t those little lizards the owner placed on the blinds kind of cute ‘. She was about to grab one to look closer when the broker grabbed her elbow and helped her up the steps. Sale saved.

Great story! I bet there are more. Most everyone enjoys a good read here. Keep them coming

In Hawaii they are common. They make a "clicking" noise which gets annoying at night.

Tell us more about the boat!

pete

Last edited:
Great story! I bet there are more. Most everyone enjoys a good read here. Keep them coming
I second that.

It is kinda funny that my wife would have insisted on buying the boat because it had treefrogs and/or geckos on board!

I agree. If you have lizards on board, you won't have cockroaches - :)

Heck, in some places the roaches are bigger and eat the small lizards.... :eek:

Heck, in some places the roaches are bigger and eat the small lizards.... :eek:

Yes especially those big flying Palmetto bugs. I once lived aboard a Dutch coastal freighter named the Kornmod on the Miami River next to the 12th street bridge. It was owned by Art Kady ( Kady Krogen ) who gave me accommodations when I was broke and homeless. This was before he was murdered and he was a very generous nice man. Anyway after a hard day of working on a small ‘ Dixie Dredge ‘ I’d come back to this small ship and set on the fantail drinking cheap rum and eating Chinese take out. Those big flying cockroaches would come in on the wing and land on the deck. I’d smash them with a broom then wondered where the bodies went. I watched others come out from beneath a chest freezer and drag the dead back under the freezer. Very strange.

Rick

In Hawaii they are common. They make a "clicking" noise which gets annoying at night.

Tell us more about the boat!

pete

Well the aluminum Roamers were a special division of Chris Craft that was new to aluminum construction. This big 73 was uncommon and I’m not sure how many were built. Back then they weren’t using 5086 alloy and I’m not sure if it was available then. But the plating they used was prone to serious corrosion and wastage unless protected with special coating systems. The boat was handsome and ran well with a pair of 8V71’s and I believe 600 gal. of fuel. It was old school design with a large saloon step down to a full large galley and dinette then forward to a couple of large two berth cabins with attending heads and showers, forward to large Vee berth master cabin, lots of lockers. Engine room below saloon with access under steps at the galley and large lift up hatches above. Aft step down to a large aft cabin with head and shower then bulkhead and lazarette as I recall. Interior joinerwork was light maybe maple. Upper and lower helms. All the problems I found were systems related, exhaust hoses, engine mounts, worn out engine cables, worn out genset etc. can’t recall

Rick

I checked my records the above is wrong. Two 12V71TI’s, 600 gal water but 1600 gal fuel. Sorry

Last edited:
In Hawaii, the Gecko's are considered good luck! Maybe because it's almost impossible to get rid of the little guys, so you might as well as look at the bright side!

If you have big roaches, you need bigger lizards - :)

iu

Great well written story!
As a native of Miami I’m very familiar with all sorts of lizards and frogs.
The biggest I’ve had in my yard was about a ten foot crocodile.

Attachments

• 658E8A3D-547B-4EC9-BCCE-94E85F1F50FE.jpg
    658E8A3D-547B-4EC9-BCCE-94E85F1F50FE.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 13
If you have big roaches, you need bigger lizards - :)
Like the Australian perenti lace monitor, grows to 6ft and runs fast. Bites can be poisonous. ? due to bacteria, they don`t brush regularly.

images

In Bali small geckos called "chek cheks" for the sound they make run upside down across ceilings at night eating insects.

This thread is making me glad I live in a northern climate.

When I was 18 my parents were living in the jungle in Venezuela working on a hydroelectric plant. I spent the Summer with them. The small, 3 to 4 foot, iguanas would climb up the side of the house and enter the attic through the broken vents. At night they would chase bugs and fight each other, jumping from rafter to rafter. I ran into a larger one, about 6 foot, on the road one day. We both stopped, he sized me up, decided he could take me, and kept on coming. I ran for the other side of the road and let him continue on his way. The killer monkeys were another story.

Back
Top Bottom