starboard door for solo boater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill209

PORT door for solo boater

I will be a solo boater and am looking at many trawlers. In my mind, it seems that a port side door in addition to the starboard side door is critical for port/starboard access when docking/locking.

However, given my lack of experience I may be simply putting too much importance on this and thought I would check in with you guys.

On a related noted, when helming from the flybridge do you change helms when approaching a dock/lock, or just stay up top until time to tie off?

Thanks for all of your input!

Last edited:
2 years ago I was clueless on handling big(to me) trawlers.
Ours only has a Starboard door. I was also paranoid in the lead-up to my first season.

Since then I have done many solo dockings.

Now with 2 seasons under our belt, its a big "meh". Not as problematic as I thought it would be. I just always found a way to always dock on the starboard side. And this is all accomplished with a single-screw and no thrusters. I suppose if I *had* to dock on the port side, it would be a little more difficult...:rolleyes:

Thanks Max! The 'dock on starboard when possible' really helps minimize the issue.

btw, i switched port/starboard in original post because, well, i'm a landlubber, but have edited the post to correct it.

Thanks Max! The 'dock on starboard when possible' really helps minimize the issue.

btw, i switched port/starboard in original post because, well, i'm a landlubber, but have edited the post to correct it.
Most boats choose a stbd or port tie side home berth to suit access.

I had a 40 footer (doulble cabin) with a door next to the helm and one aft on the starboard side.

While I did use the door near the helm occasionally.... it was not as easy to get out of due to the nature of the helm seat and wheel. 1/2 the time the action was on the other side of the boat so going through the cabin and out was quicker for action on that side, and only a couple seconds longer to get to the far side.

Maybe I didn't find it all that necessary as I wasn't one to firmly believe the midship live for docking was the holy grail. I liked to use bow and aft spring lies much more (didn't even have midship cleats for years on the boat)

I always felt a door next to the helm was critical .....mostly to open and look out of or listen out of when the windshield was difficult to see through, but a large opening window would be fine too.

My boat doesn't have side decks, so port and starboard pilothouse doors are very important. While I always prefer to tie on the starboard side, it's important to be atleast adequate on the port side, sometimes you don't get a choice. I guess there is a size point below which running around the trunk cabin doesn't pose a problem, but when adjusting bow and stern lines when a lock chamber is dumping quickly, time matters.

Ted

I use the heck out of the starboard side door that's next to the helm, especially when I'm by myself. With a left-hand wheel, the boat pulls to the starboard when backing down and I tie up starboard-side to at our home dock. Many times I'll reach in through the door to operate the throttle and clutch controls while standing outside on the deck so I can grab the springs or just see exactly where the dock/pilings are in relation to the boat.

Agree with Ted.

It is not only boat specific...but it depends on the agility and coordination of the solo skipper. As to which side is more important, I would imagine that is much more important to a skipper who hugely prefers to dock with a particular side to most of the time.

Never been thru one, but some locks do require multiple crew and/or are very particular about lines...others not so much.

I use the heck out of the starboard side door that's next to the helm, especially when I'm by myself. With a left-hand wheel, the boat pulls to the starboard when backing down and I tie up starboard-side to at our home dock. Many times I'll reach in through the door to operate the throttle and clutch controls while standing outside on the deck so I can grab the springs or just see exactly where the dock/pilings are in relation to the boat.

Yep, not only on that boat..... but used to do that a lot when running the pilothouse assistance tow vessel... used to even sit on the side deck when running slow and when it was extremely hot out.

.........Now with 2 seasons under our belt, its a big "meh". .:rolleyes:

I have been anxious about solo docking with the only helm on the flying bridge. Your "meh" makes me feel better. Thanks.

It's definitely very boat dependent, and certain situations may be better avoided with only 1 person on certain boats. It's all about how the boat moves, where the cleats are, and how well you can move around the boat (and what places you actually need to access quickly). Getting some lines in place and laid to somewhere you can reach ahead of time can be helpful.

Whether you have 2 side doors or 1, it mostly comes down to preparation. Before you enter a marina or anchorage. Have fenders and docklines ready with bitter end secured. Have enough anchorline on deck to at least let anchor lay flat on the bottom if anchoring.
Once prepped, with docklines laid over the hand rails, dockhands can grab docklines.
I have a starboard side salon door next to the helm and the flybridge access is on the port side just aft of midships.

I had port and starboard doors with good access, but I always ran from the flybridge, even when docking.
Of course, I had a great first mate.

Just a warning about having fenders hanging...if going to a slip with a fixed dock they can be a hazard for catching pilings/the dock when you don't want them to and probably won't be in the right spot anyway. At the ready is a different story.

You are correct psneed.
I did say ready and not deployed.

For me, an opening from the helm station directly onto the side deck is important. Which side could depend on where your helm is located, but all else being equal my own preference is for the helm to be on the starboard side and a door right next to it. When docking or locking, that allows me to step outside and be useful handling lines and fenders.

When docking a boat that has two helm stations, upper and lower, I believe it's safer to operate from the lower station, for the same reason as above. The helmsman can become an extra deckhand in about two seconds, instead of climbing down a ladder and moving to a new position. If you have crew who know what they're doing, I guess it matters less. Ditto when you're always leaving from and returning to the same dock every time - lines can be pre-positioned and every move choreographed in advance.

Even when running boats with the helm on the centerline, if conditions allow, my habit is to dock starboard-side-to. Can't explain why, so I guess it's just another old habit that has worked for decades. But I'm an ambidextrous docker, and can lay alongside to port just as well!

Being able to open a door right next to the helm also makes me feel a bit more connected to the conditions outside, such as smells and sounds. When running in heavy fog, for example, even with radar, I really prefer to keep doors or windows open, so that I can hear any noises outside the boat.

For some time now I've been searching for a Downeast-style cruiser in the 30' - 40' range, with a strong single engine / protected running gear. The Mainship Pilot series, 30' or 34', are good examples of what I like. Don't care about a flybridge, but it's hard to find any boat that checks the rest of my boxes and has a door at the helm station. The MS Pilots do not, so for a singlehanded skipper to reach the side deck or the bow requires moving aft first, then climbing onto a narrow side deck and going forward again. Same with the very handsome little Cape Dory 28, or the beautiful Legacy 28 Express. Same issue with the 32' Grand Banks. All of those are boats that I like a lot and that would fit into my life circumstances, as someone still working full-time +. The 25' Rosboroughs do have a door next to the helm, but those boats are a bit small for what I need.

The Zimmerman 36' has what I'm looking for, as do the bigger Legacys, but those listings seem to hover beyond the upper-end of my humble budget. Feels like like I'm wandering around in no-boat land, which is frustrating. Apologies for the thread drift, here.

I almost exclusively single hand, and love the convenience of the pilothouse door and always do my best to find a starboard tie when docking. My friend Kevin has a Bayliner 4788 and has to run down the stairs and out on the back deck to tie, usually single handing also, and he never complains about it.

I would guess it's somewhat weather dependent as well as whether there is anyone on the dock to assist you when you come in. Wind can be your friend docking when it's blowing you into the dock, but when it's blowing you off single handing is more tough...

For solo operation, helm doors are REALLY HANDY, and can make the difference between a good docking/locking and a bad one.

I solo about 90% of the time and my "go to position", is lower helm, starboard side tie. That way I can handle winds and current, get the first spring tied and then maneuver the boat with that spring to where I want to be. Never had a problem.

Now, stern in is a bit more difficult and do that from the bridge because at the lower helm, I can see the back of the boat, except from the one side. I'll maneuver it "close" and finish off at the lower helm, or just get a spring on first and then finish off at the lower helm.

In calm winds, one can easily take their time from the bridge, line the boat up at the slip and leisurely stroll down to tie up the boat. Gonna hopefully do that in about 5 hours.

Half lower doors on both sides and is make a HUGE difference. Especially in a lock when I need to change sides.

Many trawlers under 40-45ft do not have 2 doors. My 70fter only had stbd door. I handle mostly single handed since Admiral has MS and just is incapable of moving fast or jumping off the boat. She can throw lines though. I routinely dock port side ties due to wind and dock alignment. I dock half the time from bridge, half the time from lower helm. Depends on what we are doing, obstacles, and any help on the dock. But, the MS350 with its big wide stairs allows me to run down from the bridge and jump to the dock with considerable ease. The wide sliding door at the rear of the salon also makes it easy to get to the dock if for some reason the side door is inappropriate. It is all about planning going slow and knowing your boat and how it will react. That means practice, practice, practice. There will be times when you just can't dock. Going thru the lock at Cape Canaveral with the 70fter they wanted us to tie to the North side of the lock with 30-40kt winds from the North. Even with 2 aboard we could not maneuver the boat to even just throw a midships line to hold us to the lock. They locked us anyway, what a ride that was! Don't be afraid of a boat with a single door. You will learn to deal with it and your boat. If worse gets to worse you can cell phone someone at the office to get hands on the dock to help. Boaters are always there to help if needed.

PORT door for solo boater

I will be a solo boater and am looking at many trawlers. In my mind, it seems that a port side door in addition to the starboard side door is critical for port/starboard access when docking/locking.

However, given my lack of experience I may be simply putting too much importance on this and thought I would check in with you guys.

On a related noted, when helming from the flybridge do you change helms when approaching a dock/lock, or just stay up top until time to tie off?

Thanks for all of your input!
We have a Heritage East 36, which only has a starboard side door. We have a flybridge helm that we ALWAYS use and a lower helm by the starboard side door that we have not EVER used. With a nice watertight flybridge enclosure, we've never had the need to use the lower helm station. We had Caliber 47 sailboat before, and are loving the views from up high on the flybridge. We've installed an aft camera that helps my husband look back when docking. However, for a solo boater, a solution might be remotely controlled bow and stern thrusters. I can't imagine docking our boat single handed.

Last edited:
My more experienced clients prefer to operate from the wheelhouse. If you are singlehanding or shorthanded , you can ease out the wheelhouse door and have a look at the situation as you are approaching the slip. In my designs, I generally prefer port & starboard wheelhouse doors if possible. I like to have all my lines & fenders rigged before approaching the dock. I have a spring line ready just outside the wheelhouse door. Once the spring is ashore, it's easy to spring the boat in. I always pass the loop ashore so I can control the lines from the vessel, rather than taking a chance that some well meaning person on the dock does not know what they are doing.

My insistence upon having doors port and starboard is a big reason why we bought this particular boat, and I'm really glad I didn't compromise on that one. I had not appreciated how limited one's dock/slip selection becomes in the 40-45' range.

I have a Sundowner 32 which has port and starboard doors. I just finished the great loop solo, it was easy for me to both dock and lock. I always docked bow in. The boat has a single engine with only a stern thruster.

My more experienced clients prefer to operate from the wheelhouse. If you are singlehanding or shorthanded , you can ease out the wheelhouse door and have a look at the situation as you are approaching the slip. In my designs, I generally prefer port & starboard wheelhouse doors if possible. I like to have all my lines & fenders rigged before approaching the dock. I have a spring line ready just outside the wheelhouse door. Once the spring is ashore, it's easy to spring the boat in. I always pass the loop ashore so I can control the lines from the vessel, rather than taking a chance that some well meaning person on the dock does not know what they are doing.
Ditto on all points. I would only add that, when coming alongside in a tight space where it's hard to place a spring line correctly, it's a nice option to be able to reach over and get a short breast line across and snugly secured to a midship cleat. With that, you can move forward and aft and take enough time to get the rest of your lines where they need to be.

Back
Top Bottom