Standing water on teak decks while on the hard, which was my first post haulout visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I have a couple of other posts from today as I decided to keep my questions separate so none were lost in the shuffle so to speak.

This one is in regards to my finding a fair amount of rain water being retained on my teak decks on both the port and starboard sides when I arrived at the boat yard today. This is a result in my opinion, of the bow not being elevated enough in the jackstands and the keel bracing being too low to have the water flow aft to the scuppers at the transom. Eyeballing it, it looks to me if that five and at most 6 inches would achieve the runoff Toward the drains needed. At this point it looks like she will be out of the water for a shorter time than anticipated, however I’m just a bit spooked by standing water even if it’s only for a few weeks. I feel the decks are in average shape, however one of my projects that will begin soon is to replace the missing bungs over the exposed screwheads, of which there might be 50 needed throughout. The boat has been in a covered stall for the last 12 years however she is open to The elements now.

I want to determine if the consensus here is that it is a fair request on my part to ask them to make some adjustments to initiate better run off? His yard is fairly full, and unfortunately it looks to me like a boat that was hauled after mine will likely have to be moved in order to walk the travel lift around to mine. That’s not my problem of course it is he is, but I can’t help but wonder if that might incline him towards telling me I don’t need to worry about this since we should be out of the water for just a few weeks.

I got rid of the standing water while there, however we are about two hours from the boat at our residence and I won’t be able to do that after every rain storm.

Part of me says if I find I have a problem from the short amount of time with standing water then it is a problem I need to identify and rectify anyway. The other part of me says why push it? Water and gravity have always understood each other and I’m skittish about providing an environment for them to work together to my boat’s detriment.

Would my request to have them make an adjustment be a reasonable one?

Attachments

• 43524883-0766-4F3D-B194-C6EE4DB3BB58.jpg
    43524883-0766-4F3D-B194-C6EE4DB3BB58.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
Does the boat drain well when it is in the water, if so then I would want it to drain while on the hard. The water sitting on the teak decks is just searching for a way to wick into the core of the deck. You said there are bungs missing so there may be issues with the bedding of the deck also. Standing water is just asking for leaks. I would ask for a reblocking.

In the water, My GB36CL always had some standing water on the side decks at the same location unless the water tanks (aft) were full. That was my water tank gauge.

Optimally I would get the yard to lift the bow and ER lock but it won’t be cheap, methinks

In the water, My GB36CL always had some standing water on the side decks at the same location unless the water tanks (aft) were full. That was my water tank gauge.

Optimally I would get the yard to lift the bow and ER lock but it won’t be cheap, methinks

Agreed. Our 36 has standing water in the same location when in the water both port and starboard. I wouldn’t worry about it and would expect the yard to charge you the labor to raise it up. Others have added scuppers to allow for better drainage. On my list to do some day. As for exposed screws I am a firm believer in removing the screw, drilling a 3/8 hole into the deck all the way down to the lower glass, filling with epoxy, and installing a bung. No more chance of leaks at that screw hole.

I'm always present for haulout and blocking.

Depending on the angle of the keel, some boats aren't able to be absolutely level blocked on land (mine isn't because of the keel's large upward angle towards the bow). Also, it's not reasonable to expect a person in charge of the blocking operation, to know which boats pool water in spots on their decks. In the future it would be a good idea to mention to the boat hauler that the boat pools water when off level and to please keep the waterline mark as close to level as possible.

Ted

With a previous boat I would get on deck with a bucket of water while they were blocking. That assured me of good drainage and finding a dry boat for springtime work.
If you are not expecting freezing conditions no worries.

I've got one spot on a side deck where water pools until it evaporates. It's never caused any problem. I've been meaning to fix it for 27 years.

Maybe this year.

I would think by placing strategically, some visqueen sheet, you could allow the water to evaporate instead of working it's way thru the decking..>>>Dan

I've got one spot on a side deck where water pools until it evaporates. It's never caused any problem. I've been meaning to fix it for 27 years.

Maybe this year.

Wow, you have owned the same boat for 27 years, amazing. Congrats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom