Source for outrigger hinges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
I'm having no luck sourcing hinges for the bas of my outriggers. Planning on using 3.5" OD aluminum tube. Does anyone have a clue?

Alan

wait, i just saw you're thinking 3.5 inch tubing. is this for the outriggers or a tower frame?
or, are you just building short poles for stabilizers?

I used 1/2" aluminum plate and custom welded them. Don't think you will find a good off the shelf product that will conform to mounting location

wait, i just saw you're thinking 3.5 inch tubing. is this for the outriggers or a tower frame?
or, are you just building short poles for stabilizers?

Well, yes. Stabilizers, but the poles will each be twenty feet long and the strains will be quite substantial. Thousands of pounds.

Pics:

Attachments

• 9E251248-CEA3-4BCC-908A-C2DABF0AC25C.jpg
    9E251248-CEA3-4BCC-908A-C2DABF0AC25C.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 81E1AF7E-EE02-47D1-929E-E86BB2C63E1D.jpg
    81E1AF7E-EE02-47D1-929E-E86BB2C63E1D.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 8E38F7B2-4BC1-42E2-BC09-23466CF63237.jpg
    8E38F7B2-4BC1-42E2-BC09-23466CF63237.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 10
Several approaches come to mind:

For off the shelf marine hardware that can include the poles, fittings and rigging,
I would look at Forespar. They sell the hardware for spinnaker poles that are rated
for the loads you are contemplating.

If you want to roll your own you can use the beefy clevis and brackets that are
used with large hydraulic cylinders. The removable pins make these user-friendly.
These can also be found in 316 stainless at McMaster-Carr supply, among others.

stabilizer pole lower brackets are largely in compression. you'd be surprised how much load a relatively small bracket will hold in that load configuration. a bigger concern would be the load on the mounting surface, and the pivot point. the custom fabbed units are probably the best option as you can design them to fit the application. i'd also use a reasonable sized bronze bushing in the pivot area so there's no egging out the bracket or pole. the hydraulic cylinder mounts are a good idea if they fit the area, but some don't have bushings in them so choose carefully. the mast and rigging needs to be pretty skookum as those loads can be high and there can be a fair amount of cyclic loading or shock loads depending on what hardware you have in the water.
i've been contemplating what it would take to rig up stabilizers on my boat too, my wife would appreciate them. in reality though, for the protected water we typically run in a flopper stopper for use at anchor will probably be what i do.

Back
Top Bottom