Smoke and CO detectors engine room compatible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure HUGE even begins to define your fandom, Kevin. How many man years went into that very fine installation?

I’ve been playing with various home automation systems on the boat for a few years now.

I REALLY like that days like today when I am at home building my year round greenhouse I know my 2nd home is doing fine :)

Every boat is different. On my boat I have has First Alert Smoke/CO detectors in my engine room for severl years with no false alarms. When I put them in I was prepared for false positives but am happy to report that they have never occured.

Last edited:
I have the First Alert model SA511 wireless units all over the boat including the engine room and in a protected area of the flybridge. I have the one on the flybridge specifically to act as relay alarm from any of the other units. That one I placed inside the flybridge storage area to keep it from the elements. It’s plenty loud for me to hear it when I’m up there. I test them regularly. Working on the 4th year now with no false alarms and no failures.
Ken

I got the First Alert SA511CN2-3ST Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm with Voice Location, Battery Operated.

I programmed each location but when one goes off and does not activate the rest. is there anything else i need to do.

There’s a very specific procedure that must be used to interconnect them. Simply programming each one does not do it.

I got the First Alert SA511CN2-3ST Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm with Voice Location, Battery Operated.

I programmed each location but when one goes off and does not activate the rest. is there anything else i need to do.

It is a PITA to get them programmed. I did it on our last boat but on this boat I finally gave up in frustration.

There’s a very specific procedure that must be used to interconnect them. Simply programming each one does not do it.

Yes, I found this out as well. Best way I found is to lay them all together on a table and go through the process carefully one by one. You may want to use ear plugs.

I found this on the First Alert website: Note the 2 minute time limit.

How do I program and link First Alert Wireless Interconnect Smoke Detectors?

It is important to follow these steps carefully when programming your First Alert Wireless Interconnect smoke detectors. TO PROGRAM FIRST ALARM:

1. Insert 2 AA batteries. Alarm will say: "Welcome, First Alert Smoke Alarm." It will then say "No location programmed" if this is the first time the device has been activated, or "[Location, example: "Basement"] location programmed" when changing batteries. The detector will then say "To select location, press and hold test button now."

2. Press & Hold Test Button if you would like to program the location or change the location of the alarm. Release button after alarm responds. Alarm will say: "To save location, press and hold test button after location is heard." The First Alert Wireless Interconnect smoke detector will list locations.

3. After you hear the location of where you are placing the Alarm, Press & Hold the Test Button. Alarm Will Say: "[Location, example: "Basement"] location saved." If no location is chosen: "No location saved." Your Alarm has now been programmed for the location of your choice.
ADDING AND LINKING ADDITIONAL First Alert Wireless Interconnect ALARMS NOTE: To create your integrated smoke detector system, steps 1 through 3 below need to be completed within two minutes. If more than two minutes pass, the green power LED will stop blinking. Simply open the battery drawer of the second detector and repeat steps 1 through 3.

1. Insert the batteries into the battery drawer of the next detector. DO NOT CLOSE THE DRAWER.

2. Press and hold the test button and then close the battery drawer.

3. Once you hear the unit chirp, release the test button. The green power LED will start to blink indicating the ONELINK detector is waiting for program data from one of the other existing First Alert Wireless Interconnect alarms that are already set up.

1. Insert the batteries into the battery drawer of the next detector. DO NOT CLOSE THE DRAWER.

2. Press and hold the test button and then close the battery drawer.

3. Once you hear the unit chirp, release the test button. The green power LED will start to blink indicating the ONELINK detector is waiting for program data from one of the other existing First Alert Wireless Interconnect alarms that are already set up.

Ok i got this far with the first alarm,
A couple of questions.

I have eight to connect, all need to be done within 2 minutes?

above works on the first one. do i have to do same for the rest?

Thanks.

I got it although not sure i can do it again:banghead:

I think you have to link one at a time and press the test button once on the other units.

I got it although not sure i can do it again:banghead:

I think you have to link one at a time and press the test button once on the other units.

Are you running around the boat or have 8 sitting on the table in front of you?

Are you running around the boat or have 8 sitting on the table in front of you?

I did take the recommendation and collected all on the table.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom