She said yes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraniteStater

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Rossiter Coastal Cruiser
For the last 5 or so years I have been quietly petitioning my wife to consider a trawler retirement. Its received a pretty lukewarm reception. We love the ocean. We love boats. We love to travel. But I just couldn't make progress.

Earlier in the week our financial guy suggested we start thinking about retirement (less than 10 years away) so that he can do a better job planning.

I asked my wife, she said "tell me why you think living on a boat is a good idea". I did. She agreed. And off to the races we go.

Only problem now? She has only seen one trawler so far and it was a beautifully maintained KK58. I suspect boat shopping won't be easy after that....

Oh well. First world problems.

Hah! Congratulations & hope you've got the dosh to meet her expectations :)

You could always try pitching the advantages of a smaller boat (of which there are many) for a retired cruising couple.

My wife is good with the idea as well, but we've a ways to go as our youngest is only 8 - so ~10 years is the absolute minimum for us.

Only problem now? She has only seen one trawler so far and it was a beautifully maintained KK58. I suspect boat shopping won't be easy after that....

Oh well. First world problems.

Well, you just need to go to Newport this weekend for the boat show - last year KK had a really nice boat there.

Just sayin... not that far of a drive and there should be brokerage boats there too.

As I recommend to all...
Define your style of desired cruising, them must haves, wants and dont wants.
Have her do the same.and only then compare & compromise (dont forget to let her win some so pick your priorities and concede others.
Then start looking and ranking vs your list.
Make it.fun... mini vacations, boat shows, charters, etc.

Greetings,
Mr. GS. Do NOT ever base your purchase on emotions. Pragmatism first. The love affair can blossom AFTER you buy!

Greetings,
Mr. GS. Do NOT ever base your purchase on emotions. Pragmatism first. The love affair can blossom AFTER you buy!
Ha! Pragmatism and boats. That's a good one.

When I was teaching couples close quarter maneuvering, my favorite tag line was " cheaper than a divorce attorney." Men and women approach cruising much differently. Consider some third party intermediaries. Not sure their still around, but two gals tune SeaSenseBoating out of St Pete FL. They do all-women liveaboard classes that generates a lot of positive vibes for women.

My wife shares a lot of my passion, but not all of it. I've had to really hold back on responding to her, and give her plenty of time to absorb the ideas. She's keen on parts of cruising, but not all. Of course, my goal in cruising is through Panama Canal, so fairly aggressive. She likes visiting towns and trying tacos so I have focused on the cultural aspects of cruising. She doesn't want bad weather (who does) so I've taken extra lengths to avoid.

It's been a slow process requiring patience which is not my strong suit.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom