Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #21
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
A $3000-5000 KVH dome plus subscriptions will buy A LOT of unlimited cellular data ------- and your TV Stick will still work.
Dead spot on internet here. Can’t even get online at my slip.

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #22
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post

KVH absolutely will pick up HD programming, just not at higher latitudes with the smaller dish. We are on the fringe of HD here on the lower Chesapeake.
I am on the upper Chesapeake so KVH not much good to me. Plus, moving north, well, you get my point. Moving to a larger KVH dish costs way more than an equally capable Intellian.

catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #23

City: Orange Beach, AL
FWIW we get HD programming on our KVH-1 and DirectTV.

For those using cellular data to access programming, it may interest you that there is an inexpensive adapter that will provide HDMI output to your TV from your smart device. Amazon has them. They work very well!
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I had a KVH awhile back and it worked fine. Researching KVH vs. Intellian, it appeared to me more people preferred Intellian, and less problems overall. That is based on random anecdotal feedback, but the reason I am going with Intellian (I3) on a new install next month.

Has anyone had any issues with DTV setting up your account for $5/mo for your boat, if you have an existing DTV account at home?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Could be a west coast thing vs east coast or maybe it’s just the higher latitudes of the PNW. Only Intellian and dish guaranteed HDTV. KVH required a tv7 to get HDTV. Then again Since KVH doesn’t send any representation to the Seattle boat show and Intellian does maybe I didn’t get the full story.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have KVH with Direct TV and have traveled the East Coast, Great Lakes, and to the top of Lake Superior. Worked perfectly. As to whether it's HD or not, I couldn't tell you. I use it for news, weather and nature programing entertainment. My idea of "Reality" is getting away from most of what's on TV.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We have KVH and Direct TV up here in the Northwest. We get all the local Seattle stations and the satellite stations until we cross over the Canada/Alaska border. Then the Seattle stations are no longer available. We can get reception everywhere except if anchored in a small bay surrounded with very high mountains.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #28

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
We just went through this.

Have had different receivers on different boats with varying satisfaction.

Went with the KVH HD7 and Direct TV. Yes, was expensive (Sat components were around 11K).

Used a local company (Clearwater/St Pete area) which I cannot recommend highly enough. Nature Coast, they are fabulous. We moved the location of the electronics from Starboard to Port, so new cabling. You could not tell they had been into the walls.

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #29
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
In my travels in the PNW and SE Alaska I have seen a lot of these on boats.

KING® DISH® Tailgater® Pro Satellite TV Antenna - KING VQ4900 - Television Antennas - Camping World
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
What TV programming do you find is worth the $3-13k investment, with monthly fees I guess too? Does it also provide on-demand programs/movies that are commercial free? Weather? Just curious what you are watching and what features are most desirable.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
That should be illegal. Coming back from the Bahamas at a marina by Sebastian inlet, I was given a slip next to someone who did this making it impossible to throw a line over the piling. Boat wound up wedged sideways slamming into the dock in high wind. The hull had just been painted along with the bottom. Yes I had superficial damage.

It's their home marina, not a transient slip, their slip isn't ever given to transients, they (and their immediate neighbors) have pre-tied/measured dock lines in place, etc, etc, etc.

-Chris
Old 03-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #32
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
It's their home marina, not a transient slip, their slip isn't ever given to transients, they (and their immediate neighbors) have pre-tied/measured dock lines in place, etc, etc, etc.

-Chris
Nope. I should have never been assigned the slip next to them as it shared a piling.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #33

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
What TV programming do you find is worth the $3-13k investment, with monthly fees I guess too? Does it also provide on-demand programs/movies that are commercial free? Weather? Just curious what you are watching and what features are most desirable.
Primarily sports. We both enjoy watching, in the fall we tend to watch 2-3 games on a Saturday.

News is nice. When we are on the boat - we are there for 10-12 days at a time.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #34
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
FWIW we get HD programming on our KVH-1 and DirectTV.

For those using cellular data to access programming, it may interest you that there is an inexpensive adapter that will provide HDMI output to your TV from your smart device. Amazon has them. They work very well!
Having junked a KVH M-7 when direct switched its HD programming to Ka band, I am very skeptical of that any KVH M-series is receiving HD from Direct in the US. I suspect you are receiving the same programming, but in standard definition (and depending on the size of your tv, HD can be hard to distinguish from SD).
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #35
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Cost is a relative thing. What’s worth $3000 to me might not be worth $.30 to some one else.

I enjoy meeting other club members at one of our out stations, sharing a drink and watching football in the late fall were it will be cold and wet for sure. Wife likes swing on anchor in the spring watching romance movies. We don’t watch it much but we want it when we want it.

Yes it provides on demand, commercial free, and comes with DVR.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
DRB, I will second what T1 said. We don't watch much TV either, but it is enjoyable for us to watch a movie in the evening and catch the news in the morning. It is also worth the cost to me, but I respect those who want to tune out completely and enjoy nature, which is also a good thing.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:03 PM   #37
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I agree it would be crazy for me to spend 10+ grand on a tv system. but if I could afford a 3/4 mill boat 10 grand probably wouldn't bother me if I really wanted it . I don't see me ever having the chance to find out.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Does it matter? Obviously, what this poster gets for his money, his money, is worth it to him. What does he get. The same as anyone gets with home-based sat tv service or cable service.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

satellite tv

We used a Follow-me -TV {now Track-It TV} with a regular Direct TV dish, for many years in PNW. It worked well enough at a dock....not so much at anchor. You need to adjust the dish for azimuth and declination as you change longitude and latitude but they supply tools to assist. You need to have a clear view to SE (134 deg in PNWS) as the satellite is geosynchronous at the equator.(Direct TV). We had it work as far north as Port McNeil in BC.
I was a liveaboard at the time and didn't make a big deal out of the fact that I travelled. You will need to get a receiver/recorder as appropriate. At the time the device was less that 1 BU ($1000.) I don't remember about HD nor did I care.

Ian
ianonhercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Having junked a KVH M-7 when direct switched its HD programming to Ka band, I am very skeptical of that any KVH M-series is receiving HD from Direct in the US. I suspect you are receiving the same programming, but in standard definition (and depending on the size of your tv, HD can be hard to distinguish from SD).
Yup. That's why I went with Intellian. Full-sized picture plus sports are so much better with HD.