Sad another tall ship gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is so sad. Those beauties will never be built again.

But it was a reconstruction from the 40's, arriving in Dana Point in the mid-eighties.?

They are still building these.

Delightfully vague reason for her to be condemned. "Boat just keeled over". There's always a reason why a boat keels over - water getting in somehow. I wonder was it just leaking planks generally, which would make the dry dock delays culpable by someone, surely, or was it a burst underwater connection. Plumbing not being checked often enough..? What a cavalier and casual way to treat such a treasure...:confused::eek::nonono:
If something like that happened to Captain Cook's Endeavour replica, there'd be hell to pay..!

This is OT, but I wouldn't buy any of the homes on top of the cliff in background.

This is OT, but I wouldn't buy any of the homes on top of the cliff in background.
Fair go ddw - you can`t just throw that out there without giving some sort or reason...................:hide:

Greetings,
Mr. B. Re: Homes on cliff edge...Just a guess but California is on the Pacific rim of fire. Edge of cliff, shaky-shaky, cliff slips, houses go boom.

Re: Sinking. The boat appears to be well kept. Masts, sails and brightwork etc. seem fine. Why the total loss unless she's completely gone below the water line?

Last edited:
Is anyone concerned the the USCG just certified her in February and she mysteriously sinks so soon afterward ???

Is anyone concerned the the USCG just certified her in February and she mysteriously sinks so soon afterward ???

If a wooden boat, the USCG has been burned like this so many times they almost outlawed passenger carrying wooden vessels.

Unless you pull every plank every year....or less....there's always a possibility that something has weakened the fastenes or the wood..

I was in the middle of this debate of a rescue on the Chesapeake back in the late 90s.

Google El Torro II.....

I was on Pilgrim a few years ago, looked well-kept to me. The crew dresses and talks in period costume. Good show.

Get a diver down below to plug the holes and stuff it with airbags to get the rail above water.

I suspect that they want to create such a buzz that the funding will be easier.

Or the owner(s) know that maybe the whole hull needs refastening/some re-planking and it just isn't worth it.

Kinda why wooden boats of that size and build type went away a long time ago.

I suspect that they want to create such a buzz that the funding will be easier.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Any boat can be salvaged and put back in service.... but, is it worth it? :hide:

Kinda why wooden boats of that size and build type went away a long time ago.

Dont tell the folks in boat building school at Mystic Sea Port, Conn.
They just might throw a caulking iron at you.

Dont tell the folks in boat building school at Mystic Sea Port, Conn.
They just might throw a caulking iron at you.
I will just send them a list of wooden boats I have rescued people from over the years.....

Wooden boats like old TT's with lots of wood...great until neglected....

Very Interesting. I read some accounts from the captain...who of course says he is innocent......I read a report from David Pascoe who of course says everyone is guilty.......sad story.

Great to be a Monday morning quarterback. I was wondering what exactly we were supposed to learn from the article ??

Ultimately it's the Captain's responsibility for a safe ship, safe trip.

That wooden boats are ticking timebombs without vigilant maintenance.

200.webp

I wonder what sort of sounding and security watch was aboard? Probably none, and that begs the question whether there should be a requirement for same.

Back
Top Bottom