Old 11-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Vessel Name: SEZ HU
Vessel Model: Buehler 38' COOT
I asked the owner of a Diesel Duck 382, that had a Coleman Sea Mach aircon on the pilothouse top, if he was satisfied with the unit. He had been cruising about ten years with it.

His answer "It worked very well and the price was right".

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/MARINE-AIR-CONDITIONER-COLEMAN-SEA-MACH-13500-AC-UNIT.htm

Bill & Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #22
FF
Guru

All over Euroland the commercials hang the exterior unit on the stern rail .

Doesn't look yachty , but it seems to work just fine.

The stern rail doesn't get much sea spray , and is never bothered by jelly fish.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #23
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
This is not my boat but I have the same one, a Cargile Cutter. I took the Coleman AC off the 5th wheel when I sold it and mounted it in the same place as the photo. Works great. Noise is not an issue probably due to location. The photo was Sun Smiles. It was destroyed when blown off a trailer in Wyoming a few years ago.
Friz, I've never seen ,or even heard of, a Cargile Cutter! Interesting.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #24

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Friz, I've never seen ,or even heard of, a Cargile Cutter! Interesting.
AC is over the head. I installed ducting to channel the air aft into the cabin (14x8) and forward into the berthing (double v). 600 of these were built in Nashville during the 70's. Definitely not a cold weather boat. The only helm is on the flying bridge but works great here in Florida. Comments range from Wow to Unique to Interesting to That Is The Ugliest Boat I Have Ever Seen.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #25

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbuilder1 View Post
I have a coleman polar cub 9200 btu unit on my boat. This is a low profile unit. My Honda 2000 will start and run this unit no problem. The unit from the factory is pretty noisy but there is an after market quiet kit available. I installed the quiet kit and now the unit is real quiet. You now have to be closer than 10' from the boat to hear it running. Yes, there is some water that will run off the roof when its real humid out. Inside the cabin running, the boat motor makes noise than the A/C unit. The only down side is the thermostat turns the unit off when the cabin temp is about 73 degrees. I think it looks fine on my roof.
I like your boat and the job that you did with the conversion from the original design. Can you tell us specifically about the quiet unit and maybe provide a link to the unit? And can you tell us the weight of your particular unit? Thanks
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
WB

Sounds like a great setup. I had them when working and living in Spain and also noted they were quite popular in other European locales. Will your's have a heat function or do you even need to worry about it in Kemah?
Its a heat pump. $850 with wifi for web control.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
Guru

City: Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
All over Euroland the commercials hang the exterior unit on the stern rail .

Doesn't look yachty , but it seems to work just fine.

The stern rail doesn't get much sea spray , and is never bothered by jelly fish.
Hello FF, are you referring to split a/c units? Air cooled. Yes I see them all over the commercial boats and the recreational ones as well. They are very inexpensive and the key is to find a way of installing the condenser (external unit) so it is not ugly. When they rust and rot out you just throw them away.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Hello FF, are you referring to split a/c units? Air cooled. Yes I see them all over the commercial boats and the recreational ones as well. They are very inexpensive and the key is to find a way of installing the condenser (external unit) so it is not ugly. When they rust and rot out you just throw them away.

$700 V $5500. and the $700 dose a better job because it has the ability to do a better job dehumidifying which is a major benefit in Ozzy land
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"are you referring to split a/c units? Air cooled. Yes I see them all over the commercial boats and the recreational ones as well."

Yes , unless the current mfg of air cond get modern with efficiency and cots , they will go the way of POLAROID or HUDSON .
Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #30

City: Colfax
Vessel Name: Curt's Dream
Vessel Model: Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
I like your boat and the job that you did with the conversion from the original design. Can you tell us specifically about the quiet unit and maybe provide a link to the unit? And can you tell us the weight of your particular unit? Thanks
The load noise comes from the fan being a bad design and running too fast. Coleman has updated the fan to a better design that helped some in noise reduction but they did not slow the fan speed so its still pretty noisy from the factory. The aftermarket kit can be purchased with or without the new updated fan blades. Link to aftermarket kit Mach 8 hush kits The weight of the a/c unit is 82 lbs.
Boatbuilder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #31
Guru

Those split a/c units are readily available with SEER25 rating and built-in HEPA filters. Comes in handy in this part of the world - basically the dustiest place on Earth.

PS - They can be ducted also.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Those split a/c units are readily available with SEER25 rating and built-in HEPA filters. Comes in handy in this part of the world - basically the dustiest place on Earth.

PS - They can be ducted also.

PS - They can be ducted also. very interested any more info or photos My problem is I cant find a location for the head unit IG32
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #33
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
While the Admiral and I were living in Berlin, we were looking at this Krogen Manatee in Hong Kong. Freight to Rostock was already 46K so we dropped it, but it was refit with many items that suggested it was going to be used mostly at the dock for a waterfront office. Among other items was a Mitsubishi mini-split system with the outside works mounted tastefully in this unobtrusive starboard cabinet behind the pilothouse. The matching cabinet to port is for storage now, but could easily be used for an additional unit. I will probably duplicate the idea when I add my pilothouse A/C. Second photo shows the white wall-mounted unit in the salon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manatee with deck evaporators.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	70428   Click image for larger version

Name:	manatee with split AC in salon.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	70429  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Vessel Name: SEZ HU
Vessel Model: Buehler 38' COOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Yes , unless the current mfg of air cond get modern with efficiency and cots , they will go the way of POLAROID or HUDSON .
Hey F, don't knock my daily driver, which I used whenever I'm in the states. I love this car, even if it does steer like a truck. Disc brakes and Chevy 350.

You are right, AC uses way too much energy for what you get back. However, there may be a break through coming.

UCLA scientists create an air conditioner that fits in your pocket - LA Times
Bill & Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
PS - They can be ducted also. very interested any more info or photos My problem is I cant find a location for the head unit IG32
Just do a quick Google search under ducted mini split aircon. Most major manufacturers produce them. The challenge is that these are residential units and may not fit in your vessel.

The photo of the concealed box that healhustler shows is a really nice quality job. In this part of the world they just leave the condenser visible outside or put a stainless mesh enclosure around it.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #36
FF
Guru

One hassle with a mini split can be noise during the heating seasons.

The std hassle with a reverse cycle air con. is when the outside temps go below 40F or so , air conditioning the planet (to steal heat) stops when frost covers the heat transfer fins .

The mini splits solve this shut down problem , by reversing the units operation for a min or so, reverting to an air cond to use that heat to clear the fins.

To make up the heat taken from the interior the units run at full bore for another min or two, then revert to almost silent operation.

Depending where and how the outside unit was mounted can decide if you ever hear the unit functioning during the heat season..
Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #37
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I saw a Mitsubishi mini split system on the same eagle in port Canaveral a few months ago. They said it was made in Orlando Florida, not Japan

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote