Replacing Floscan fuel meter canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sna

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 48
My floscan fuel monitor canisters (3 per engine) are showing rust and I’m going to be replacing the canisters. Anyone done this and have any tips? I’ve read they can be a bear to remove. And not sure if I should just install them empty or try to prefill them a little with diesel. Seems like I might need to prime pump for a long time to remove all the air changing them will introduce into the fuel system.

Attachments

• 848B2951-4198-420D-BE2A-3DE342F78131.jpg
    848B2951-4198-420D-BE2A-3DE342F78131.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Wow. I would never put a diesel fuel filter top-down like that. The only way to purge the air is through the engine. You won’t be able to prefill without dumping fuel all over the place. Have lots of oil sorbent sheets handy.

Wow. I would never put a diesel fuel filter top-down like that. The only way to purge the air is through the engine. You won’t be able to prefill without dumping fuel all over the place. Have lots of oil sorbent sheets handy.

Agree that filling the top mounted canisters will create a mess. There is one canister that is down mounted though. And two top mounted canisters is how floscan instructions indicate. Technically they are pulsation dampeners rather than filters. Guessing they help get a steady reading on the fuel flow.

Seems like I will just need to manually pump the diesel on the engine for awhile to get the air out.

Attachments

• 4C16C260-CB0F-4145-A8F8-03FD6DEBE2E8.jpg
    4C16C260-CB0F-4145-A8F8-03FD6DEBE2E8.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 23
Interesting. What are you replacing them with?

I just ordered new canisters from Floscan

Cool. I remember they went out of business. Learn something new every day.

You might consider a solid paint job on the new canisters before installing.
Unfortunately, the factory paint job is very poor, and they tend to rust out way too quickly.
They’re not filters, and theoretically shouldn’t have to ever be replaced, their function is simply as a stilling chamber to provide even flow across the sensor.

If the installed ones are not leaking a coat of paint will do fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom