Repair leaky water tank with Microseal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cks

Vessel Name
Silver Lining
Vessel Make
2003 42’ Grand Banks Europa
I have discovered that The large 180 gallon water tank in my 2003 Grand Banks Europa is leaking, probably through a welding seam or one of the baffle weldments. The only access to the tank is through the small hatch which exposes the access plate, shown in the photograph.

It has been suggested to me to use microseal to repair the leak. I think it’s worth a try because the only other option is to have a high quality yard cut the parquet wood companionway sole cut out, tank cut up, replace the tank and have craftsmen restore the parquet sole to its original state.

My question to our Trawler Forum family is this.

Has anyone used this repair method?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 67EF1369-2F61-4018-9C2A-7F2988105030.jpg
    67EF1369-2F61-4018-9C2A-7F2988105030.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. ck. Is there any way or space to inspect the outside of the tank? Boroscope, perhaps? You leak may be accessible from that inspection port once you find out where it is.

The tanks are baffled. We would need to open the tank to remove baffles and this means removing the cabin sole. If we go that far we would replace the tank.

Thanks. I will be opening the inspection port this week. I intend to dry the tank as best as I can and slide a high power light under the tank to see if I can find any pin holes from inside the tank.

Hi cks,

After experiencing the exact same disappointing scenario of discovery of a leaking water tank on the each of the last three boats I've owned, I've come to the conclusion that all efforts to determine the point of leakage and then repair said leak(s) with all sorts of "mouse milk", were ultimately fruitless. Very much simply a waste of time and resources.

Short of something easily visible and accessible, and thus easily mitigated, all efforts to inspect the interior of tankage inevitably runs into multiple baffled areas, rendering all sorts of efforts moot. Trying to navigate something like a borescope past baffles is simply a waste of time. And, should you successfully do so, and find a likely area of leakage, so what? You won't be able to reach it with your "mouse milk" short of flooding the tank 100% with the goop, at a significant expense, with unlikely positive results. And if there's one likely area of leakage, you can be 100% positive there are others either invisible, or waiting around the next corner to rear it's ugly head and render all your anguish and efforts moot.

In my opinion, ALL aluminum water tanks (and fuel tanks, for that matter), WILL ultimately leak, typically from corrosion products developed from the presence of chlorine in typical city water, and/or poor installation practices by the builder, allowing water (fresh or salt) to accumulate around the exterior. And when they do, the only fix is to reef them out, and replace them. And yes, that's not cheap or easy.

Given you apparently have at least one bolted access port to one area of your water tank, I suggest you remove it and attempt to inspect that area. Given the age of your tank, I suspect the inspection will make your hair curl, and you'll give up on fixing what you have, and move on to replacement. Save yourself much time and anguish, and make plans to replace your tank now. Once you get that old tank out, and can accurately and completely figure out why it failed in the first place, you'll feel very well justified in replacing it.

And finally, again in my opinion, unless there is a suitable off-the-shelf rotomolded plastic tank that will fit the area, replacement of your existing tank with a custom welded 316L stainless steel tank, fabricated by a known, quality fabrication facility, and installed properly is a solid option. Again, not cheap, but with an extremely high probability of success in the long run.

There are multiple references in the WWW (Steve D'Antonio is my favorite) providing sound guidance to tankage. While intimidating at the onset, ultimately not high on the list of tragic events in a boat owner's life. Expensive yes, but not the end of the world.

Regards,

Pete

Back
Top Bottom