Raymarine or simrad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I have now received a quote for the equipment replacement on a Gulfstar trawler. I am replacing multifunction display upper and lower helm. Radar, fish finder, autopilot, and hailer. I got a quote for Raymarine and Simrad equipment. The Simrad was $2000.00 dollars cheaper. I believe I will be doing most of the installation, with some help. I am told the functions are the same on both. I have found people with recent problems with newer Raymarine products, my old equipment was Raymarine and for the age did well. I have found people who like Raymarine because they have found customer service to be great. My bet is the components used in both are probably the same and maybe from the same manufacturer. Has anyone and thoughts or personal experience?

I have had excellent customer service from Raymarine. Have not had any experience with Simrad so I don’t know about them. The Axiom Pro looks great and is probably what I will put on our next boat.

I installed a full Simrad NSS12 suite (including 'broadband radar') a few years ago on my last boat, after decades of using Raymarine. Two stations, dual displays at each station. There are certainly fans of both systems; I can only relate my own personal experiences. The Simrad system was, by far, the most unreliable, troublesome electronics system I've ever used.

The displays would periodically and unpredictably lock up. The display would freeze, and stop showing either radar readings or GPS position. It would take a reboot to restart the system. This happened on a regular basis, approximately once per hour. Sometimes it would go 2-3 hours without freezing up, other times it would freeze up a few times per hour. Each reboot took several minutes, which was inconvenient at best, and hazardous at worst depending on when and where it chose to stop functioning.

The 'broadband radar' would either show numerous ghosts and false images, or with the gain turned down to minimize false reflections, then would be blind to obvious targets within visual range. I could never find the right combination of settings that would show targets without numerous ghosts and false readings.

I was constantly on the phone with Simrad and the dealer who installed the system. Over the course of about a year, the software was updated 4 times, and various pieces of the hardware replaced 3 times (radar emitter, displays, other components, etc.). None of that effected any improvement whatsoever with the problems I was having.

After about a year, Simrad gave up on me. They said there was nothing more they could do, and stopped returning my calls and emails. I was stuck with a nearly $40,000 electronics system that was largely useless.

I'm sure other people have had wonderful experiences with Simrad, but I will never own their equipment again after my own personal experience.

I have now received a quote for the equipment replacement on a Gulfstar trawler. I am replacing multifunction display upper and lower helm. Radar, fish finder, autopilot, and hailer. I got a quote for Raymarine and Simrad equipment. The Simrad was $2000.00 dollars cheaper. I believe I will be doing most of the installation, with some help. I am told the functions are the same on both. I have found people with recent problems with newer Raymarine products, my old equipment was Raymarine and for the age did well. I have found people who like Raymarine because they have found customer service to be great. My bet is the components used in both are probably the same and maybe from the same manufacturer. Has anyone and thoughts or personal experience?

Seems to me that the parent company of Raymarine was sold a few months ago. I have not seen any PR assuring customers that the new owner is committed to continued support of this business.

Worth checking out or chatting with the dealers to see if there is any reason for concern, or not.

I like my Simrad a lot . Also have B&G on my sailboat.

Likewise a big fan of Simrad, my next system will undoubtedly be another Simrad. My experience with customer support was excellent, technical support over the phone was prompt and accurate. I have no experience with any other brand to relate with, but I did all of my own installation and everything meshed perfectly (radar, broadband sounder, GPS, autopilot, and NSE12 MFD).

It is much more capable than I am (in utilizing all of it's functions). I know I am ignoring many things it can do because I am happy with the basics working properly and not very tech savvy.

I will have a similar decision to make.

FWIW since all the major brands are pretty good and have similar prices, apart from reputation I'm looking at what checkboxes are filled or not.

I'm talking myself into forward looking sonar. That seems to narrow the choices to Simrad or Garmin. And the Simrad display of that info seems easier to read. I don't think Ray offers it. I may be wrong? Nor does Furuno.

The Simrad use of auto-route in the chart plotter also seems better than Garmin.

Talking myself into Simrad, but the reports of service problems that do crop up (like above) do give me pause. Having said that, its not hard to find people slamming Garmin too.

I installed a full Simrad NSS12 suite (including 'broadband radar') a few years ago on my last boat, after decades of using Raymarine. Two stations, dual displays at each station. There are certainly fans of both systems; I can only relate my own personal experiences. The Simrad system was, by far, the most unreliable, troublesome electronics system I've ever used.

The displays would periodically and unpredictably lock up. The display would freeze, and stop showing either radar readings or GPS position. It would take a reboot to restart the system. This happened on a regular basis, approximately once per hour. Sometimes it would go 2-3 hours without freezing up, other times it would freeze up a few times per hour. Each reboot took several minutes, which was inconvenient at best, and hazardous at worst depending on when and where it chose to stop functioning.

The 'broadband radar' would either show numerous ghosts and false images, or with the gain turned down to minimize false reflections, then would be blind to obvious targets within visual range. I could never find the right combination of settings that would show targets without numerous ghosts and false readings.

I was constantly on the phone with Simrad and the dealer who installed the system. Over the course of about a year, the software was updated 4 times, and various pieces of the hardware replaced 3 times (radar emitter, displays, other components, etc.). None of that effected any improvement whatsoever with the problems I was having.

After about a year, Simrad gave up on me. They said there was nothing more they could do, and stopped returning my calls and emails. I was stuck with a nearly $40,000 electronics system that was largely useless.

I'm sure other people have had wonderful experiences with Simrad, but I will never own their equipment again after my own personal experience.
Interesting. I bought an identical system a few years ago before heading to Mexico for a refit. A few days before departure, my ancient Furuno died so I jury rigged the Simrad. Worked fine for 20 hours of sea trial and 75 hours nonstop south.

As always, your mileage may vary....

As an aside, when I was shopping, I definitely wanted a dial input device vs soft pad or rocker pad. Simrad was the more feature rich and affordable option

Peter

Last edited:
Ive, always liked Raymarine. Raymarine today is not the Raymarine of 10 years ago. The newer systems running Light House III OS is light years ahead of the old OS systems. It's intuitive, reliable and really easy to learn. I have had nothing but good service from Raymarine. Even when FLIR had just bought them they replaced (at no charge) some of mine and others equipment that had the same issue with brand new product. The new president even picked the phone and called me from the UK to insure I received the equipment and it was working correctly.

My understanding of FLIR wanting to sell Raymarine had nothing to do with anything but that Raymarine did not fit into FLIRS future plans (Military Industrial) the way it once did. I have also heard they were not wanting to sell it to just anyone but to someone that would continue the company forward the way the current management has pushed it. Seems that has now all changed with Teledyne's purchase last year of FLIR. Maybe now Raymarine will have a good future stable platform backing them.

Today I ran 90 miles in the fog with my Ray equipment. It worked flawlessly! Thank goodness for good RADAR, GPS and Autopilot. Id buy Raymarine again in a minute.

Last edited:
I currently have Simrad and have been happy with it. For my 8 month. Loop trip it performed flawlessly, Recently had a display replace under warranty and the autopilot remote.

Simrad service has improved lately. They now answer the phone. They haven't been the best, and is time consuming, but not horrible.

My Garmin experience for CS was much better, but haven't had much Garmin stuff in a few years. Have some in my plane, but it just works.

I've also had the Ray stuff... but older and it was garbage (but a lot of old stuff is garbage).

My next install will probably be Garmin...... perhaps Simrad or Ray.... who knows.

If just answering the phone is good service, I would hate to have bad service...

My experience with Simrad was like Nick14's. After 4 months of working with Simrad, they couldn't offer a fix for a single one of the couple dozen issues I encountered, a number of which I had classified as "don't go to sea until this is fixed". So I removed and returned all of it. I love their stuff on paper and in theory, but in practice it was a nightmare and unfit for duty.

I am kind of surprised at the price difference for comparable systems. I have not looked at Simrad lately so don’t know that much about it. I run multivendor environment with a Garmin MFD, smaller Raymarine MFD, Coastal Explorer, Raymarine autopilot, Airmar weather sensor, Garmin radar, and Camino AIS. Except for the radar, everything plays together pretty well over a NMEA 2000 network. Let’s just say I have a lot of backups, not including an IPhone and IPad.

Tom

Hmmmm, might be a reason that Simrad is $$$$ cheaper?

The boat I bought a few months ago is all Simrad. I had plenty of question for there tech support. At first I e-mailed them and their response was good and on my part I had more questions. I asked them to call me and they did and walked me though my questions. It was all good.

I did come from the Garmin world! There tech support was pretty good and very helpful. But I am finding that Simrad is easier to use with more options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same several years ago and had a completely different experience. Installed a complete Simrad suite (NSS12), turned it on, nary a problem since. Why our experience with exactly the same product is so different I have no explanation. How one sets up the NMEA 2000 backbone can make all the difference.

I spent the money on forward looking sonar. I never use it. The view forward is not lengthy enough to make a difference.
I will have a similar decision to make.

FWIW since all the major brands are pretty good and have similar prices, apart from reputation I'm looking at what checkboxes are filled or not.

I'm talking myself into forward looking sonar. That seems to narrow the choices to Simrad or Garmin. And the Simrad display of that info seems easier to read. I don't think Ray offers it. I may be wrong? Nor does Furuno.

The Simrad use of auto-route in the chart plotter also seems better than Garmin.

Talking myself into Simrad, but the reports of service problems that do crop up (like above) do give me pause. Having said that, its not hard to find people slamming Garmin too.

I just read your posting more deeply. Simrad replaced all of your components THREE times!? How likely is it that you got junk three times in a row and so many others have had a positive experience? Methinks this was an installation problem, not an equipment problem. Did you properly supply 12 volts to your backbone? If so, something else peculiar to your boat was a likely culprit. Also, sounds as if Simrad gave you tons of support along the way.

I’m pretty old school. My needs
Need to know- where I am, where I am going, what’s around me (topology, vessels, depth etc.)
Want two charting systems and the ability to switch between them in real time.
Want the easiest updating of charts and software.
Want the longest service life.
Don’t want drop down menus but do want to customize my screens.
99% of the “features” are a waste of time and often get in the way of getting the information you actually want.

Garmin does it’s own thing. Buy garmin you’re stuck inside their universe. Charts,weather,active captain etc. their model is to monetize everything.

Buy RM is great if you’re in New England and can drive to New Hampshire for support. Otherwise don’t buy it on the internet but pay to buy it from a really good nearby dealer,not west or fisheries. Also it’s great if you live in Britain.

B&G/simrad is fine but once you’re out of the US you may need to hunt to find authorized service.

Touch screens have come a long way but still won’t work on occasion and it’s always at just the wrong time. Even at enclosed helms it won’t input. So continue to have a preference for hybrid input. Especially want a standby switch on the AP and want a separate AP control. But do like to monitor things when off watch on a IPad. Furuno doesn’t allow that at present.

So I think they all suck. Would note many cruisers have gotten rid of their MFDs and go with a pad and/or computor bypassing this expense altogether. Screens for inputs as necessary (still hard to get radar on a pad) .
Decision depends upon where service is in your cruising grounds and it’s quality. That is the primary thing that informs the decision.
Taking that aside list for me is hybrids by
Furuno
RM
Simrad
Garmin
In descending order

Last edited:
To continue my rant.
I’m not enthusiastic about any system where if one thing goes out the rest doesn’t work.
I’m not enthusiastic about trusting something that costs more than a house on crowd sourcing.
I want things to be intuitively obvious.
I want to be alerted before bad stuff happens. Intercepts, depth, zone intrusions,alarms. How the screen looks in bright sun, dark, and low contrast presentations matters. I’m not color blind but do take off my glasses for fine print. So want screens that work for everyone.
The current backbone stuff is a big step backwards imho. There was an advantage to having everything stand alone. There was an advantage to being able to easily integrate old and new. On the last boat one of three RM MFDs died. To get functionality and cross communication it meant getting two Axioms and one Axiom pro. Then another $500 to get the AP on to the screens. Didn’t piss away the $500 but rather kept the AP as stand alone.
So I can see why increasing numbers are just bypassing MFDs altogether and going with dedicated computers loaded with ship management software and navigational programs or pads loaded with navigational software and separate devices for inputs as required. Recreational boating is insignificant to the current MFDs vendors business plans and it shows. I think they are starting to realize they’re losing market share in this area to other solutions. I only hope offerings and prices start to reflect that.

Last edited:
To continue my rant.
I’m not enthusiastic about any system where if one thing goes out the rest doesn’t work.
I’m not enthusiastic about trusting something that costs more than a house on crowd sourcing.
I want things to be intuitively obvious.
I want to be alerted before bad stuff happens. Intercepts, depth, zone intrusions,alarms. How the screen looks in bright sun, dark, and low contrast presentations matters. I’m not color blind but do take off my glasses for fine print. So want screens that work for everyone.
The current backbone stuff is a big step backwards imho. There was an advantage to having everything stand alone. There was an advantage to being able to easily integrate old and new. On the last boat one of three RM MFDs died. To get functionality and cross communication it meant getting two Axioms and one Axiom pro. Then another $500 to get the AP on to the screens. Didn’t piss away the $500 but rather kept the AP as stand alone.
So I can see why increasing numbers are just bypassing MFDs altogether and going with dedicated computers loaded with ship management software and navigational programs or pads loaded with navigational software and separate devices for inputs as required. Recreational boating is insignificant to the current MFDs vendors business plans and it shows. I think they are starting to realize they’re losing market share in this area to other solutions. I only hope offerings and prices start to reflect that.

This is how I've done my last two boats, and for just the reasons you cite. The integrated single vendor packages are great when they work, but if one thing breaks it creates a chain reaction requiring replacement of other things. On my Simrad system, I tried to just replace the most broken components, but in the end all that made sense was to get rid of it all.

Now each part stands on it's own, can be replaced with a different model or vendor's equivalent device, and communicates with other devices only via standardized communications. And all those communications are point to multi-point NEMA 0183. NMEA 2000 is used primarily for monitoring, and also for backup GPS, Heading, Depth.

TT be real interested in what specific components you decided on. Nothing like experience and have great respect for yours.

I spent the money on forward looking sonar. I never use it. The view forward is not lengthy enough to make a difference.
I came to the same conclusion when pondering whether or not to add forward looking sonar. My last boat had all Raymarine & I loved it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.45.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.45.27 AM.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.45.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.45.45 AM.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 26
Codger, nice looking setup.

Curious: how often do you use the MFD physical buttons vs the touch?

Also, from what I see, so long as your system can handle forward looking sonar, the incremental cost of the transducer vs others is maybe $1000 more. In a total package cost with install of maybe $30m - $40m that's not a lot. A $1000 is still a $1000. But.

I understand the stand alone principle, but without four yards of space to mount equipment on, I have to use integrated systems with one MFD to view. There simply isn't room in my overhead or on my dashboard to mount all those individual devices. As with most things in boating, there are no perfect solutions, just solutions.

You large vessel owners have options we smaller vessel owners simply don't!

I understand the stand alone principle, but without four yards of space to mount equipment on, I have to use integrated systems with one MFD to view. There simply isn't room in my overhead or on my dashboard to mount all those individual devices. As with most things in boating, there are no perfect solutions, just solutions.

You large vessel owners have options we smaller vessel owners simply don't!

Very true. The stand alone stuff typically involves more screens, so more physical space.

TT be real interested in what specific components you decided on. Nothing like experience and have great respect for yours.

This is mostly Furuno gear, but only because I think each is best at what it does, not because they work together in some special Furuno way.

Furuno Navpilot 700 autopilot x2

Furuno FCV588 fish finder
Furuno FAR2218 radar x2

Furuno SC70 satellite compass (primary heading and position)

EmTrak A200 AIS
Standard Horizon GX6000 VHF x2

Furuno GP330 GPS (secondary)
Maretron SSC300 heading (secondary)
Airmar DT800 depth (secondary)
Coastal Explorer

Everything uses the SC70 for primary position and heading, and the GP330+SSC300 as backup.

AIS targets are displayed on the radars and coastal explorer.

Routes from coastal explored can be followed by the APs, and the next waypoint displays on the radars as well.

ARPA targets from the radars also display on coastal explorer

All the primary devices work with no N2K, so completely immune to any failure or issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom