Radar Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This brings to mind a famous collision between a pleasure boat and a BC Ferry, several years ago, at least before AIS. The small pleasure boat, maybe 30 ft, technically had his rear and port side covered, but the big ferry bearing down on him from his port quarter was in his blind spot and rolled him over.

If it's the case I'm thinking of, many a decade ago, the Captain of the Ferry was eventually reprimanded as the boat that got hit was in the ferries yield area. If the ferry had honoured the right way of the hit boat, there wouldn't have been an accident. But still, lots of blind spots on boats.

Couldn't agree more! Also, with "trails" turned on, I not only can see what's behind me, I can also see their approaching speed.

agreed!

In close quarters I dial back the range and use it to see who is coming up from the stern.

We've used our Furuno radar twice in nineteen years. We just don't get that much fog in southern California.

Always on. The only question is whether to run the second radar or just the primary.

I have two radars. A 24" 4 Kw dome 48 mile and a 4' 11 Kw open array 72 mile.

I alternate radars every day. Unless crossing big water then the open array is utilized and narrow channels the dome.

In fog both radars are on. Dome set to 1/8 mile and the open array at 3 miles.

Whenever underway.

My Garmin does split screen with 2 ranges. Having one on either 1/4 or 1/8 mile really helps with keeping track of boats coming up behind you.

Also need to have the radar transmitting to do target acquisition for the photon torpedoes. Never know when you will need to eliminate an inconsiderate waker.

Ted

Ours is powered on any time we're underway. Sometimes in standby mode if shoreline on both sides is showing at our shortest range. Of course in fog, dark, and/or dreary weather... but it's almost always a useful rear-view mirror, and I use radar for ranging (duh!) often, too, especially since I'm not great at visually estimating distances.

-Chris

Ours is powered on any time we're underway. Sometimes in standby mode if shoreline on both sides is showing at our shortest range. Of course in fog, dark, and/or dreary weather... but it's almost always a useful rear-view mirror, and I use radar for ranging (duh!) often, too, especially since I'm not great at visually estimating distances.

-Chris

Nothing surpasses Radar for finding your spot in a busy anchorage. I always find that my visual will put me too close or too far, but Radar will put me in the right spot.

No, I do not run it when attached to land :rofl:

I really enjoyed running it while at slip in Lake Union (WA) - I loved watching the seaplanes take off and disappear off my screen.

BTW, I'm an absolute believer in having a dedicated screen for your radar, even if the chart plotter has overlay. Even with overlay I still turned off to reduce all the clutter, and information overload, at times.

Nothing surpasses Radar for finding your spot in a busy anchorage. I always find that my visual will put me too close or too far, but Radar will put me in the right spot.
Thank you. I've been relying on my fallible naked eye and will have to work on that technique. ASD suggested a rangefinder, not a bad idea, but a radar with a range ring set appropriately would do nicely.

Thank you. I've been relying on my fallible naked eye and will have to work on that technique. ASD suggested a rangefinder, not a bad idea, but a radar with a range ring set appropriately would do nicely.

We often use radar similarly. I found that using arpa on the anchored boats in turn shows them as icons on my chart plotter. I can then adjust my anticipated anchor circle among the boats, check depth, and generally have a less eventful anchoring exercise. It also helps to flag problems on approach rather that while you are circling looking for a spot.

One use not mentioned yet which which I once found to be effective. We had a flock of grackles come through Thunderbolt GA once for a few days when we were awaiting our turn to be brought up into the yard. They liked our bimini and radar arch. Day 2 I spun up the Furuno open array whenever they landed on us and they scattered pronto. After the second dose, they went over to some other boats, never to return to ours.

That's a great idea. Even an old guy know it all like me can learn something new here.

I always turned off the radar in an anchorage to be "polite". Using it to measure distance to other boats is very useful.

Last edited:
As they say in the commercial, "don't leave home without it." I cruise in Alaska and find radar indispensable. Fog has a habit of rolling in unexpectedly and traveling in limited visibility without good radar is a fools mission. AIS has made limited visibility travel much safer, especially around blind corners. But surprisingly few boats operate with AIS. Anchoring in darkness is so much safer with radar, chartplotter and depth sounder operating.

I have ours on anytime we under way. It helps keep me sharp on it's use, what different size vessels look like on the screen, how far away I am when passing another vessel compared to what the screen shows. Another important benefit is being able to see a vessel coming up behind me since I need to step out of the wheelhouse to see behind me. This is especially important when sharing the water with cruise ships and ferries going over 20 kts. on the Inside Passage.

We do the same as well. Here in the PNW as several others have mentioned, it comes in handy making sure you have the skills BEFORE you need them with the fog and other fun in the local area.

When the spirit moves me.

Radar on a sunny day

I use it all the time. I sail mostly in the Mediterranean where you get very bright sunshine reflecting off the water, impossible to see anything easily. There are often RIBs/Inflatables several miles offshore fishing. They are just stopped in the water (two deep to anchor) and fishing. They have no AIS and no dayglo or bright colours anywhere. Travelling at 20 knots by the time you have seen them (even if you are keeping a good lookout) rapid evasive action is needed. It upsets the admiral and spoils the day. I pick them up much earlier on may Broadband radar along with the dreaded fishing pots.

Just turn it on and use it - with solid state it isn't going to wear out.

Funny this post comes up at this time as I needed my radar last weekend. I was headed out on a 25 mile open water journey between islands. My autopilot/chart plotter/compass needs some correction that I need to get to. So, knowing it was off I used the radar to find the island and get a direct heading. Then on my return, as I approached Catalina Island there was a tanker that looked like it would pass me to port. Up ahead, dense fog. Then tanker started turning into me. Now it was a couple miles out but as I entered the fog it became evident that I could have a collision course coming. Fog allowed about 50 yard visibility. I passed the potential collision point with the tanker still a mile off my port. So glad I had the radar. I always run with the radar on as we have so many boats big and small around us in busy Los Angeles waters. It helps me to monitor ships overtaking me from behind while I watch for crab pots forward. I usually have it set for 3nm so I can pick up the small boats that may be near.

Ours is on anytime we are underway. Good practice for me and it confirms that the radar is still working, besides you are supposed to have it on.

Same. It's always on unless heading into the locks or other areas where they restrict radar usage.

I run the BC central coast, in daylight only. We get fog fairly frequently but still my radar has just 11 hours TX time in 800 engine hours, and a fair bit of that is just running it in good visibility to see it works ok and be familiar. Essential equipment though, wouldn't want to go without it and would even have two if I had the space.

Come to Maine. We use it extensively here.

Often on, day time is perfect to learn reading the image versus the real target.

I use it all the time. I sail mostly in the Mediterranean where you get very bright sunshine reflecting off the water, impossible to see anything easily. There are often RIBs/Inflatables several miles offshore fishing. They are just stopped in the water (two deep to anchor) and fishing. They have no AIS and no dayglo or bright colours anywhere. Travelling at 20 knots by the time you have seen them (even if you are keeping a good lookout) rapid evasive action is needed. It upsets the admiral and spoils the day. I pick them up much earlier on may Broadband radar along with the dreaded fishing pots.

Just turn it on and use it - with solid state it isn't going to wear out.

Very surprised you are correcting course to evade fast moving RIBs? Monitoring them yes, but you are the one changing course?

He said the other craft he was dodging were stopped and fishing.

The IRPCS (International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea) Rule 7 states:

"Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational, including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of detected objects."

Hence, before casting off and after mooring up, radar must be 'on' to comply. However, some local inland waters bye-laws may have a differing rule although I've never found one.

Not only does seamanship call for radar to be on and used (...proper use...') it hones the skill of the user for when it becomes vital to use, in which case Rule 19 becomes the absolute in collision avoidance.

For an explanation of Rule 19 and how to use your radar in restricted visibility was published in the last Passage Maker - I admit, I was the author!

BTW, I'm an absolute believer in having a dedicated screen for your radar, even if the chart plotter has overlay. Even with overlay I still turned off to reduce all the clutter, and information overload, at times.

:thumb: after thirty years of air traffic radar, I won't have it any other way.

anyone operate radar on upper helm at night. does it affect night vision?

It will be seldom operating from lower station where the screen is located, but I have thought of moving it up to CB

I use it always when visibility is limited by fog, rain or darkness. ”Luckily” this happens almost on every trip during autumn. I have separate display for radar and plotter which makes it easy to follow and detect objects.

Attachments

• B4F8A11B-A1F0-4CA0-ACBE-AE6A31439929.jpg
    B4F8A11B-A1F0-4CA0-ACBE-AE6A31439929.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom