Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #81
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
The following people can be paid less than minimum wage:

Seasonal and recreational. The article I read mentioned Ski Lodges and amusement parks, but I assume a marina would fall under that as well.

Employees under 20 years old can be paid less than minimum wage for their first 90 days of employment.

Tipped employees. If employees recieve tips, they can be paid less than minimum, however the wages and tips must add up to minimum wage, or the employer has to make up the difference

. The interesting thing here is what constitutes a "tipped employee" Just by the discussion here, its not necessarily clear for some occupations. Obviously bartender, luggage porter and cabbie are tipped, but its not so clear for a few others.

sources:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...age-32961.html
https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...tml/?a=viewall
There are businesses that take extreme advantage of these loopholes too. All amusement parks but the worst culprit and the one that I feel has the least ground to stand on is movie theaters.

A marina in northern areas would fall under the no overtime requirement but one in South Florida would not, in my opinion, even if some claimed they did. It's all based on sales by month.

Laws have been proposed to change this but haven't passed.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #82
DDW
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCrawler View Post
What he said. When we return to marinas, we are treated exceptionally well, having taken care of the help on a previous visit. They remember.
This requires repeated visits to a dock where tips are not shared. If not repeat, they don't know. If shared, it doesn't matter which boat you help. These are some of the many issues I have with the tipping system.
__________________

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #83
Guru
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
City: Kilmarnock VA
Country: united states
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 693
Somewhat of a thread drift here but I swiped this picture from a members album on the MTOA website. He was showcasing his paint job in the picture but what caught my attention was the signs on the travel lift soliciting tips from customers. It creams my corn when people try to guilt me into giving them a tip. Actually, it would have the opposite effect on me. I normally do tip the travel lift guy at the marine where we haul out because he puts us where we want to be on the yard, loans me stuff like a prop puller when I needed it & gives the bottom a thorough pressure washing. I'm happy to tip him but if there was a sign almost requesting a tip, I would think twice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	equity_1_1134393342.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	77922  
__________________
-Shawn-
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #84
Guru
 
City: Tampa, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
Please leave your tipping habits at home when you visit Canada. We like it the way it is now, where everyone is treated equal unless they are jerks and money doesnt buy your way to the head of the line.
Been to Canada many times. Bring my tipping habits with me. Always seem to get exceptional service. Better, even, than all those "equal" people. Hmmm.


Like I said, the world works the way the world works. People everywhere like being recognized and appreciated, and nothing says "I appreciate your efforts" quite as loudly and clearly as a couple of dollars. "Put your money where your mouth is," as they say.



So, do you also let it annoy you that the Sun does not rise in the West?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #85
Guru
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Been to Canada many times. Bring my tipping habits with me. Always seem to get exceptional service. Better, even, than all those "equal" people. Hmmm.


Like I said, the world works the way the world works. People everywhere like being recognized and appreciated, and nothing says "I appreciate your efforts" quite as loudly and clearly as a couple of dollars. "Put your money where your mouth is," as they say.



So, do you also let it annoy you that the Sun does not rise in the West?
My goodness, how very American: no regard for local customs and a belief that those with the most money should always be first in line. Sad!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
rclarke246's Avatar
 
City: Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
My goodness, how very American: no regard for local customs and a belief that those with the most money should always be first in line. Sad!
No one said that "Those with the most money should always be first in line".

T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness, though it doesn't "insure" anything except maybe some generosity and appreciation for a job well done.

By the way, being a proud American, I think most American customs are just fine!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #87
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,643
Wow, this thread has now fully devolved.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #88
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
No one said that "Those with the most money should always be first in line".

T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness, though it doesn't "insure" anything except maybe some generosity and appreciation for a job well done.

By the way, being a proud American, I think most American customs are just fine!
Hello rclarke246 ….well put +1
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #89
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wow, this thread has now fully devolved.

I predicted this on Post #4. Happens every time.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #90
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,656
rclarke246.....T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness....

unless you are covering financial loss from lack of promptness, I think the word you need is "ensure"....and then the acronym kind of falls apart.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #91
Guru
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
No one said that "Those with the most money should always be first in line".

T.I.P. is an acronym for To Insure Promptness, though it doesn't "insure" anything except maybe some generosity and appreciation for a job well done.

By the way, being a proud American, I think most American customs are just fine!
I am American too, but I also respect that there are proud Canadians and I respect their customs when in their country. How would you feel if a bunch of foreigners came to your town and began violating your local expectations of behavior?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #92
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
My goodness, how very American: no regard for local customs and a belief that those with the most money should always be first in line. Sad!
+1
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #93
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Tipping in Canada....

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...tipping-guide/
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #94
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,868
Depends what customs they are violating in my neck of the woods...

Being smart wherever you live should always outweigh "pride"....so how bad can it be if a foreigner gives you more money for doing a job as a way of saying thanks....which is obvious because you are not paid a tipping wage?

But I do try and follow local customs...but I dont see the opposite of NOT tipping in places where tourism is big and the employees count on it.

.......And the link shows tipping in Canada is catching on.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #95
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Depends what customs they are violating in my neck of the woods...

Being smart wherever you live should always outweigh "pride"....so how bad can it be if a foreigner gives you more money for doing a job as a way of saying thanks....which is obvious because you are not paid a tipping wage?

But I do try and follow local customs...but I dont see the opposite of NOT tipping in places where tourism is big and the employees count on it.

.......And the link shows tipping in Canada is catching on.

Actually - all the hits I got on tipping in Canada came back like this. I could not find one article that suggested otherwise but maybe I missed something. If anyone finds one that says tipping is not acceptable in cases please post it back.

Also searched for tipping in Australia - interesting reading those as well.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #96
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
Please leave your tipping habits at home when you visit Canada. We like it the way it is now, where everyone is treated equal unless they are jerks and money doesnt buy your way to the head of the line.
How about you do what you want and I do what I want? That makes things a lot easier.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #97
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've tipped in Canada and not a single time had an angry employee upset with me. I will continue to do so. Not buying anything but thanking them for outstanding service.
And its exactly this sort of thing ruining many places I have travelled to.
Lands that had little tourism and zero tipping culture were great to go to.
Totally authentic, quiet, simple, any travellers you saw were not there for the western world.

Now that they are now seeing the american tourist* McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks etc is invading the land and tipping is becoming expected, everyone wants a fken iPhone and scams and rippoffs are become more prevelant as everyone scrabbles for the $ to buy more crap.

Its sad to see wonderful way of life and culture ruined by consumerism and greed.

* just about every other nationality has been in these lands for decades and not tried to change things.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #98
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And its exactly this sort of thing ruining many places I have travelled to.
Lands that had little tourism and zero tipping culture were great to go to.
Totally authentic, quiet, simple, any travellers you saw were not there for the western world.

Now that they are now seeing the american tourist* McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks etc is invading the land and tipping is becoming expected, everyone wants a fken iPhone and scams and rippoffs are become more prevelant as everyone scrabbles for the $ to buy more crap.

Its sad to see wonderful way of life and culture ruined by consumerism and greed.

* just about every other nationality has been in these lands for decades and not tried to change things.

You don't think Americans have been going there for decades too ?

Maybe your country just likes fast food and iPhones. Lots of people do.

Maybe your anti-American bias just really skews the way you see things.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
Moby Nick's Avatar
 
City: Rockford, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 317
OK, I need to start doing this. I do appreciate the help. Did not know it was expected.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #100
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
You don't think Americans have been going there for decades too ?
I know Americans haven't been going to these places for decades.
Saw plenty of every other nationality over the years but Americans were a rare breed.
Now they are not.
And now McDonalds etc are popping up fat children and kidults are evident, something you would never see previously.
Can you see a link?
Quote:
Maybe your country just likes fast food and iPhones. Lots of people do.
I am not talking about my country and I am not talking about canada

Quote:
Maybe your anti-American bias just really skews the way you see things.
Its not anti american as such.
I have the same disdain for any country/corporation/peoples who come into a land and force their ways onto others.
__________________

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×