Purchasing Law Enforcement Siezed vessels at auction.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
This post was prompted by discussion in another thread regarding the need for a Coastwise Exemption to use a vessel of foreign (non US) origin for commercial purposed in the US. I didn't want to hijack that thread, but though the information might be of interest to others.

Purchasing a vessel offered for sale by the United States Federal Marshals.

Unique characteristics of vessels seized and sold by Federal Marshals to the general public include:

Such vessel (or car, airplane, etc) that have been seized by the Federal Marshals, and NOT local, or State law enforcement, starts out with a fresh title or documentation from their point of sale, which, and if that point of sale is in the United States, the documentation now states that it is of US manufacture, regardless of where it was actually originally built.

Such vessel, with the above documentation is now suitable for Coastwise Navigation, without a Coastwise Navigation Exemption being required.

Granted, these vessels are somewhat like Unicorns, but if found, and purchased with the correct documentation offer a way to comply with the Jones Act, more accurately known as the section 27 of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, without having to obtain a Coastwise Exemption for a foreign built boat.

Another advantage of purchasing a vessel that has been seized and is being sold by the Federal Marshals, is that any outstanding liens and/or encumbrances are now null and void! Title, or documentation starts brand new from the date of sale.

Anyone interested in purchasing vessels from any Law Enforcement agency OTHER than the Federal Marshals needs to go into the perspective purchase having done their due diligence, and with their EYES WIDE OPEN, lest they get a great deal on a car/airplane/boat, then immediately be served with papers for an outstanding loan, or lien against the property. (yes, I saw that exact situation happen)

I've purchased a vessel from local (King County Sheriff, Washington State), law enforcement, but I did so only after carefully researching the origin, and the circumstances surrounding it's seizure, and subsequent sale. Others at the auction were taken aback when the auctioneer announced that the purchaser voluntarily agreed to assume "any and all liens and encumbrances that may exist on the vessel". The only lien the Sheriff's office could attest to was the lien for moorage since seizure, but could make no guarantee's there weren't other liens.
I got the boat for a crazy cheap price only because I knew there were no encumbrances, and other bidders were taking a big risk ASSUMING there were no liens. . . . :dance:

LOL…great one!

Greetings,
Mr. L. We toured a D/E soviet sub when we visited the Vasa in Sweden some 25-30 years ago. Was docked nearby. Some guy had bought it and was selling admission tickets. Was going to post a link of same but I didn't find ANY reference.

Greetings,
Mr. L. We toured a D/E soviet sub when we visited the Vasa in Sweden some 25-30 years ago. Was docked nearby. Some guy had bought it and was selling admission tickets. Was going to post a link of same but I didn't find ANY reference.
There was one floating next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach for several years, too.
Not that long ago; maybe it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom