Proof that Line Cutters work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
They just dove on my boat yesterday for a monthly hull cleaning.

Attachments

• 435CE20E-4CA0-4F4A-8E8F-A957384388F6.jpeg
    435CE20E-4CA0-4F4A-8E8F-A957384388F6.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 35
Which cutters are those?

shaft shark

Those would be a good addition for me. Any preferences out there for any one (spurs vs. blade) type? Pros vs. cons?

There are two general styles of line cutters. Scissoring type such as Spurs, and saw blade type such as Shaft Shark. I ran Spurs for years and switched to Shaft Shark a few years ago after second time I found Spurs to be in-operable upon haul. Once the collar had slid back rendering the anvil side of the scissor useless. Second time due to bearing failure. To install Spurs requires prop removal and while it can theoretically be done in the water, it's not really easy, especially in murky water.

Studies show the Shaft Shark style work equally well, have no moving parts, and are 2-piece so easy to install in-water. Was enough for me - will not return to Spurs.

Peter

Below is a shot of the Spurs that I installed myself during our last haul out. My model did not require prop removal but did require a haul, as you need to drill/tap the three bolts that go into the strut. Not complicated to install and with the collar correctly sized for your prop shaft, I can't imagine how they could ever slip. Just another perspective and FYI.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
Had Spurs, now have Sharks. Sharks are simpler and also don't need an anode

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom