Price per pound for boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, and because of all these variables/options, price per pound means nothing. Its the same with cars and bicycles.

Could say same thing about adult men and women... children too~~~ LOL

Really, really old decrepits or even for those insane - not so much :hide:

Comparing boats from different manufacturers is not practical usually on a cost-per-pound basis because of all the variables regarding finish, quality, equipment, local labor rates, etc.

However, I have found price-per-ton to be very accurate when comparing different models from the same shipyard, or various shipyards which do offer similar vessels. However these were commercial vessels, not finely fitted yachts.

Comparing boats from different manufacturers is not practical usually on a cost-per-pound basis because of all the variables regarding finish, quality, equipment, local labor rates, etc.

However, I have found price-per-ton to be very accurate when comparing different models from the same shipyard, or various shipyards which do offer similar vessels. However these were commercial vessels, not finely fitted yachts.

Exactly, and my point. They dont advertise or sell boats by the boat. Things like salami are.

OK, I give up, let me tell you the prive per pound for various of the boats we're looking at now. One weighs 159k lbs, and is $3million..so about $18 a pound. Another is 46k lbs, and about $2million...so about $43 per pound. So if I just told somebpdy the price per pound, hpw much sense wpuld it make? None....they would say it depends on many variables. Would any of you advise to just buy the cheaper one? Or the more expense one thinking it must be better quality?

You guys are still valuing boats by the pound. Sheesh. Pete was saying the admiral has depreciated in value. :whistling:

:hide: kidding Pete.

My 36 GB cost me a lot less per pound than a newer 36 GB. So the newer ones must really be heavier. Great way to value boats of same era.

I recently purchased a used (1997) Trinka 10 at $12.50 per pound. The Epropulsion outboard was near $50 per pound. But the highest was my Shaw and Tenney oars at around $80 per pound. I'm not sure I like this game.

Ted

Woolf, yes it helps in corroborating what I said....that they dont advertise boats by price per pound. The european builders Ive contacted(the ones that even answer), usually say the basic price is X, plus whatever options you want.

Google fast cat ferries in BC purchased for millions and sold by the pound for scrap. Of course someone tried to use them. Fast big wake not good for intended use.
Lighten up. Next there will be a what kind of oil thread. It is winter.

Of course it doesn't make good financial sense, I never thought it would or meant it to be.
It's just a fun little exercise to bring some sanity to an insane world.

I guess I figured that when it came to buying a nice 36 foot boat for less per pound than hamburger, how bad could I get hurt?

pete (O.P.)

A fun mental exercise!

From a hazy recollection of our boat stats: Our last boat (40' mainships from 1981) was right around $0.75/lb when we bought it. This new boat was more like $10/ lb (32' power catamaran from 2001).

Here's an interesting conundrum: Adding valuables to the boat after you buy it ( water maker, dinghy, outboard, fishing gear, etc) lowers your value per pound...

Hmmmm

Last edited:
In 1986, my 1972 wooden GB 42 cost around 1/3 per pound what my 2005 Mainship 30 Pilot II cost in 2015. And that means exactly what? Never thought about it before and likely never will again.

If size is your objective the per pound price DIRECTLY affects what your budget will get you. IOW the biggest boat you can get for, say $100K will have the lowest per pound cost.

And no, large salamis are not my thing.

Google fast cat ferries in BC purchased for millions and sold by the pound for scrap. Of course someone tried to use them. Fast big wake not good for intended use.
Lighten up. Next there will be a what kind of oil thread. It is winter.

The topic was us buying boats to use...NOT governments selling boats for scrap. I just checked with Hincklley and Yacht World brokers, and neither sell their boats by the pound. Maybe Beneteau or Rsmussen do though.

Of course it doesn't make good financial sense, I never thought it would or meant it to be.
It's just a fun little exercise to bring some sanity to an insane world.

pete (O.P.)

Running at $12.50 / # with my steel lady – will I need to see a therapist?

Back
Top Bottom