Previous hull damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• dark core.jpg
    dark core.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 36
It's the combination of factors that would make me lower what I'd consider paying and inform the surveyor so they could all be thoroughly checked and covered in the sea trial. I'd want a more extensive sea trial than normal and want to recheck everything structural and all mounts after taking some sizable waves hard in the sea trial. No simple riding around in glassy smooth ICW. Out in the ocean and hopefully a bad sea day.

It may be better than it was before, but it's still been through a couple of different forms of damage and I'd consider that in my offer. If it was a car and all this was on the Carfax, it would sure be valued lower.

Also, I'd have to ask who built it and their quality. A top quality boat will withstand damage better than a poor quality one.

If it simply fell off the blocks it's unlikely that engine mounts or stringers were damaged. I think I would start be asking as many boat owners as you can find who are the go to glass people and who to stay away from. If the people who actually did the work are on the go to list you're good to go.

If rudder was damaged did they pull the rudder shaft to check for straightness and replace seals?

I wonder if boat hull damage is anything like serious auto damage...doesn't matter how good the repair, it still affects the value negatively just by reason of having been in the accident. I suspect carfax may have something to do with it, but still....

I suggested as much about the core but in post 20 the OP responded "the coring looks fine to me".
If so, then what is that dark colored textured looking material?

If you're talking about the left side of the puncture that dark colored area is the layers of bottom paint. That part does not show the coring material. Its the outer skin of fiberglass pushed in rather than ripped off.

Either way to update this post, thanks everyone for the opinions and insight. I've decided to pass on the boat. There is no urgency for me to buy a boat, so I can just wait for one that hasnt had hull damage.

Back
Top Bottom