Pressure washer and compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Looking for ideas for having a small pressure washer and air compressor on board.

Would like electric on the washer, just so I don't have to mess with gas, but size would be an issue. Are the cheap electric ones, like at Harbor Freight, any good? My Ryobi is just too big.

Also, looking for an air compressor option, again a small one that could be easily stored.

And, has anyone adapted a hooka for a compressor?

Thx for the comments.

Seevee

Lots of discussion about these on RV forums - especially iRV2.com

One of the favorite 120V air comp for tire airing >100 PSI is Porter Cable CMB15
It won't run air tools but otherwise very well liked - considering getting one myself - only $99 online. If you need more capacity the slightly larger PC pancake comp is another favorite w/ the RV community.

Surprisingly there is a 12V comp that is also a favorite but it's expensive... several models but the one rated for 150 PSI and 100 PSI continuous duty is popular but Expensive $$$ VAIR 450P-RV

Other similar VAIR models available at various price / performance points depending on what you are looking to do

Discussions about washers on iRV2 as well but I haven't followed them - you can search from google just start w/ iRV2.com and add the search terms terms. Here's a sample for washers

Pressure Washer - iRV2 Forums
iRV2 Forums › ... › THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS › Entegra Owner's Forum
Jun 10, 2016 - 10 posts - ‎6 authors
For any of you that like to wash your own motor home/tow car while on the road, you might like this. It's called the AR Blue Clean 118. It's small ...
Power washers Nov 12, 2015
Adding a small pressure washer Feb 14, 2015
Pressure washer recommendation Apr 28, 2014
Pressure washer Feb 10, 2012
More results from iRV2 Forums

I have recently seen some discussion re: a battery powered washer but not a lot of comments from actual users - looked like an interesting concept for travel Worx Hydroshot

Didn't know from your post whether you are looking for use at the dock or on the go - at least here's some food for thought

Let us / me know what you decide and if it was worth it

Last edited:
Most diesels can easily be fitted with truck air compressors and an electric clutch so it is only on when in use.

I've got a Craftsman gas and a Karcher electric power washer. I use the Karcher almost exclusively, it's almost as powerful as the gas washer but is much lighter. It is prone, I find, to annoying failures; I've had to replace the pressure switch and I learned a couple days ago that I have to replace some portion of the electrical switching system. It's an occasionally useful tool aboard but there's no reason to keep it aboard.

Besides the RIB and fender bellows inflators, I haven't seen the need for a compressor aboard. I've got three paint sprayer compressors (cheap yardsale buy with spray guns) which are dandy for small volume and pressures to about 40psi. I'd looked into a compressor big enough to run air-powered sanders and other tools but they'd open a whole new category for tool expense.

To the question of adapting a hookah system to a portable compressor- yes it can be done. Some, maybe most hookah regulators are different from scuba tank supplied regulators. Scuba tank regulators need a minimum of about 200 psi supply pressure, which is no problem from a 2,000+ lb cylinder. But you can't get that from a normal home compressor. So a scuba tank supplied regulator won't work with a home compressor.

In fact hookah regulators are often limited to about 50 psi supply pressure. But they work great with a properly sized home compressor if you limit the compressor to 50 psi.

But some pancake compressors don't put out enough air for hookah diving. You need a minimum of 1 SCFM of air and maybe more for heavy exertion.

And check to make sure that the compressor is oil free. Most today are.

I use my AC powered compressor with a hookah system for normal bottom maintenance chores and can even power it from the inverter for short dives.

David

I bring my small, inexpensive electric Campbell-Hausfeld pressure washer to the boat periodically to clean the non-skid decks and house. I keep it at a safe distance from the gelcoat, brightwork, hatches and windows and have had good results. I like that it cleans without pouring too much water onto the decks.

I have a pancake compressor (I think porter cable) in my engine room, permanently mounted. Got an air chuck in the cockpit. It powers the air horn, use for blowing up toys, charging steering reservoir, bike tires, blow nozzles, and for hookah service for bottom cleaning. Plenty of capacity for hookah, runs at about 50% duty cycle. Can run an air tool like DA or angle grinder, but very briefly.

One of my favorite features on the boat.

I have a Porter Cable pancake. Both regulators on my octopus setup I bought years ago work just fine with it, at least to 6 feet working on boats.

Simple enough to test if any regulator will or wont work.

If you are comfortable with scuba and underwater, there are lots of threads on the net about building your own hooka. Do it with caution, but there are always the extreme naysayers that have been proven incorrect a thousand times.

Like Ski, a lot of uses if you have it handy.

Like Bacchus, I have a 12 v Viair compressor - smaller version, 150 psi, 40 percent duty cycle, +- $100. Made for off-road vehicle tire airing. Originally bought it to replace Buell horn compressor. After finding out what Buell wanted for replacement, went elsewhere.

The compressor has held up well (4-5 years) in the FB doghouse. Later added a tee and disconnect downstream of the Buell tank - suitable for inflating and very light duty air devices.

We have a Karcher 1600 psi washer and are into our third season with it; it washes two boats regularly and hasn't skipped a beat.

We originally decided to go with the lower pressure model so as to not damage the gelcoat. If we were to do it again I'd go with the more powerful 2400 psi model. With the lower pressure you need to put the nozzle 2-3" away from the cleaning surface so the narrow band of cleaning you get takes a long time to clean the entire boat. With a more powerful model you would make broader swathes while holding the nozzle further away from the surface.

I never had the desire for a pressure washer on or near the boat at all.

My old Hatteras had an air compressor as OEM equipment, ran off the port engine and a large tank. It ran the horns and the windshield wipers and something else I am forgetting. I had a long hose that I used for all kinds of stuff, inflating fenders and other stuff, adjusting steering and throttle/shift pressure, blowing out hoses, powering an impact wrench. etc etc. Of course that set up had one big drawback, once the pressure tank was expended, the port engine had to be running. On the next boat, if one doesn't come with it, I'd add a freestanding compressor as one of the very first upgrades.

I have a small Ryobi pressure washer at home. It's about the size of a toolbox and works well.
A friend of mine used a small oil less pancake air compressor for many years to dive under the boat. He never had an issue other than corrosion at the fittings.

How would you go about constructing a hookah system from one of these Simi? I'd love a hookah but they are not cheap. Be happy to build on though if it could be done at a more reasonable price.

Rhino

Tonne of info on the internet if you Google "how to build a hookah" but here's some to give you an idea.
A hookah dive system - Ocean Navigator - November/December 2012

Regulator
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181911553219&alt=web

50m Hose
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231962022782&alt=web

Last edited:
Thanks gents.

I've looked at dedicated hookah systems but I'll be honest, never really considered the option of building my own.... Until now.....

You've have now set me on that path and in the process, saved me a few $.

Rhino

Purchased the necessary components, configured and tested today, perfect. Very happy outcome for fairly minimal outlay in the context of boat $.

Thanks again.

Rhino

I have a Senco (or Semco) mounted in engine room. It has a couple of connections . I use quick disconnects. One for the air horn and another for air chuck or air nozzle. It's very handy and light weight. I have it strapped down with some heavy duty wire ties to a couple of pad eyes.If I need it off the boat I just cut the ties,no big deal.

Attachments

• IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 64
Purchased the necessary components, configured and tested today, perfect. Very happy outcome for fairly minimal outlay in the context of boat $.

Thanks again.

Rhino

Cool, what did you end up going with?

Simi - I got the little compressor from Bunnings and the cheap regulators you linked from ebay. I already had some hosing and various air fittings so it was a simple process.

After testing last weekend I purchased a weight belt and tried again the weekend just gone. Brilliant!!! I was able to clean under the boat perfectly, although the water was still a but chilly. I specifically did it at slack full tide at Jumpinpin so the water was crystal clear and there was not current.

It would be perfect up at Peel with clear water and minimal current.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Rhino

Glad you eventually got back to us.
For a minute I feared my guinea pig had suffered an unfortunate accident.

Sounds like I am pulling the trigger on those bits myself.

Haha. Yeah I’ve been flat out with work and haven’t had a spare moment to jump of TF for a week or so.

The electric washers are usually rated about 1800 psi, about 1000 less than gas driven and are cheaply made. The problem I had with a couple models were the seals in the hose and sections of the gun. I couldn't buy just the seals, but the whole gun. Odd size seals and o-rings that I couldn't match up.
If you have a water maker, the high pressure pump may be capable of sending enough water for pressure washing. If you're handy, there isn't much difference in the pumps.
There's a number of 12 volt compressors & tanks on ebay. Made for air horns. If you have a bigger diesel with accessory positions on the gear drive, there's probably a matching compressor available. Often used ones on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom