Old 11-27-2023, 02:45 PM   #1

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Tonda
Prawning on B C waters

Hi guys, Ií m looking for some suggestions for prawning in BC Salish Sea waters. Topics like weight in trap, type of bait, depth, and length of time submerged. Thanks in advance.
Bob Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jack View Post
weight in trap, type of bait, depth, and length of time submerged.
Bob:

Weight depends on the weight of the trap, current, size of float. You don't want the trap to move, but more weight makes recovery more work.

Bait varies with the location. In some locations, pellets are king, in others, cat food.

Depth also varies with location. I haven't tried less than 250' or greater than 450', but you get to know when your trap comes up empty that it is tile to try a different depth.

Time submerged varies with location. In some, the current will wash out the bait in a few hours. In others, never. Once the bait is gone, you are merely storing the few prawns that have entered your trap, not attracting more.

Have fun learning what works for you.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Hey Keith
I did not notice commercial prawn/crab fishers as in years past. I have had good catches buying direct. This year only time was in winter cove where a boat stayed overnight due to Salish sea conditions. What have you seen?
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
A benchmark that we use is 300' Best results have been in a hole with shallower water surrounding. Commercial prawn bait works well especially if you mix it up with some fish oil. Salmon carcasses also work. There's a big debate in letting the pots soak overnight vs say 4 hrs. Overnight has been best for us. 300 ft is not absolute and we've done well in 200 ft in some locations.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:06 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Hey Keith
I did not notice commercial prawn/crab fishers as in years past. I have had good catches buying direct. This year only time was in winter cove where a boat stayed overnight due to Salish sea conditions. What have you seen?
Steve:

I think the commercial season ended in mid June this year. so fair game for us after that. We did well enough, prawns for dinner last night and enough for once a week or so until next season.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:11 PM   #6

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I have been fishing spot prawns for over 30 years and have tried every imaginable bait. The best that I have ever found is a mix of commercial pellets, herring oil and canned mackerel, the plain stuff with no added tomatoes etc. The more mackerel the more prawns except it disperses in water more quickly than the pellets. You will be about 48 hours from mackerel but double that with a mix. I top off with a shot of oil every time I pull the pots. Hope this helps someone.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote