City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
VI = Vancouver Island

Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #22
Guru

City: Anacortes
You may not like the term, but itís traditional meaning does include BC. Itís a geographical term, not a political one. It refers to a region that existed long before the current border serving to separate First Nations people who might take a very different viewpoint on what belongs to what.

That said, if you find the term offensive, Iím happy not to use it.

Just pointing out that itís proper meaning is not US centric, even if that is who appears to use it the most. In fact, if you want to refer to Oregon/Washington, one would really need to say US Pacific Northwest.

ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
VI = Vancouver Island

Of course.

Thanks.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
PNW?

Blame Cook and Vancouver. Then Hudson Bay Company. Yada yada
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #25
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
There was a tradition of a New Years Day gathering at the head of Princess Louisa Inlet... don't know if that still happens.

And yes you can get some snow and ice in January: m/v WILD BLUE Cruising Blog: Cruising Princess Louisa Inlet in Winter
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
PNW?

Blame Cook and Vancouver. Then Hudson Bay Company. Yada yada
Quadra tambien
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
... I much prefer the VI stops where power, fuel and shore amenities are available in the winter. Places such such as Sidney, Nanaimo, Comox and Campbell River.
Let's not forget Ganges, still my favorite "liberty port".

Bill in Gorge Harbor
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
Murray, As I was growing up I was taught that the PNW went from Oregon to Alaska and everything in between.
Well, next time you take your boat to Alaska, I challenge you to announce in a crowded bar in both Ketchikan and Dutch Harbour that they live in the PNW, and not SE Alaska or the Aleutians
Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Let's not forget Ganges, still my favorite "liberty port".

Bill in Gorge Harbor

My wife wants to spend a couple of days in Ganges next week. She wants to catch the Saturday market. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #30
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My wife wants to spend a couple of days in Ganges next week. She wants to catch the Saturday market. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.
Dave: If she wants to see the market, this Saturday is likely to be crazy busy. Not only is this a long weekend, with all of the B&B, Hotel, and other nightly accommodation full, but most of those folks will be at the market. We have signed up for our Yacht Club's annual "Labour Day Cruise" this year and it includes a bus shuttling boaters from our Outstation to the market and back all Sat morning.
Without the extra crowds this weekend brings, there is rarely any parking left by about 9:00am on any Saturday, so don't plan on bringing a car. If you come by boat, reserve your spot in one of the Ganges Harbour marinas if it isn't already too late. from there you can at least walk and only have to manage the crowds actually at the market. You may also anchor out and come in by dinghy. The harbour is somewhat crowded with Mooring bouys, but there is still room to anchor.
If she is willing to wait a week, the difference should be astounding. You might even get parking less than 1/2 mile out.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
You may not like the term, but itís traditional meaning does include BC. Itís a geographical term, not a political one. It refers to a region that existed long before the current border serving to separate First Nations people who might take a very different viewpoint on what belongs to what.

That said, if you find the term offensive, Iím happy not to use it.

Just pointing out that itís proper meaning is not US centric, even if that is who appears to use it the most. In fact, if you want to refer to Oregon/Washington, one would really need to say US Pacific Northwest.
Or as it was once known, Columbia. Before all the borders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB6183E5-4056-413D-8133-47DF4BA2CF29.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	80286  
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
I live in Ashland, OR, a town which prides itself in its Farmers' Market. Cant come near to Ganges'.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Otis Maximus
Vessel Model: Seasport Navigator
Again thanks everyone for the replies/opinions, it's a wealth of information. Where to start, there's several books on board one that I was reading was "cruising beyond Desolation Sound" that's what started this thread. Because of work I missed any chance for a late summer trip and the next opportunity will probably be November December. I work in the cold might as well play in it.

So it looks like weather, high winds and maybe an occasional farmers market are my biggest concerns. I take it the radio is my best source for weather information is that correct? Are there "buzz words" that I should be listening for like hammered, blown sideways, a$$ kicked. As in "High wind warning if your out today your going to get hammered, blown sideways and get your a$$ kicked". Weather has never been my strong point!

And ironically enough the other book I was reading is titled "The Pig Wars". I just started it so not sure how it ends! I just know somebody got some free bacon.
otis maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #34
Guru

PNW question

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Dave: If she wants to see the market, this Saturday is likely to be crazy busy. Not only is this a long weekend, with all of the B&B, Hotel, and other nightly accommodation full, but most of those folks will be at the market. We have signed up for our Yacht Club's annual "Labour Day Cruise" this year and it includes a bus shuttling boaters from our Outstation to the market and back all Sat morning.
Without the extra crowds this weekend brings, there is rarely any parking left by about 9:00am on any Saturday, so don't plan on bringing a car. If you come by boat, reserve your spot in one of the Ganges Harbour marinas if it isn't already too late. from there you can at least walk and only have to manage the crowds actually at the market. You may also anchor out and come in by dinghy. The harbour is somewhat crowded with Mooring bouys, but there is still room to anchor.
If she is willing to wait a week, the difference should be astounding. You might even get parking less than 1/2 mile out.

Thanks Keith. Yeah, we arenít looking at this Saturday, but next Saturday. We were thinking about trying to get there on Thursday or Friday of next week and staying through Saturday. We really havenít come up with a solid game plan yet.

Yes, we are planning to come up by boat. Karen wants to spend some time in the Gulf Islands. We have two weeks starting this weekend. I was hoping to leave this Saturday, but Iím recovering a bit slowly from a medical procedure last Friday so we probably will leave this Sunday.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Keith. Yeah, we arenít looking at this Saturday, but next Saturday.

Yes, we are planning to come up by boat. Karen wants to spend some time in the Gulf Islands. We have two weeks starting this weekend. I was hoping to leave this Saturday,
We're drifting south from Desolation Sound, with Ganges likely for Friday-Sat. 7-8.

Bill & Gina
Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis maximus View Post
Again thanks everyone for the replies/opinions, it's a wealth of information. Where to start, there's several books on board one that I was reading was "cruising beyond Desolation Sound" that's what started this thread. Because of work I missed any chance for a late summer trip and the next opportunity will probably be November December. I work in the cold might as well play in it.

So it looks like weather, high winds and maybe an occasional farmers market are my biggest concerns. I take it the radio is my best source for weather information is that correct? Are there "buzz words" that I should be listening for like hammered, blown sideways, a$$ kicked. As in "High wind warning if your out today your going to get hammered, blown sideways and get your a$$ kicked".

VHF wx broadcasts are spotty.

Windy.com is your best source of weather if you can get internet. Wifi is pretty scarce, but there is a lot of cell, even in some pretty remote areas. Both ATT and Verizon offer plans which include voice and data in Canada. Then hotspot your phone for weather.

Then it's just a matter of putting on your jammies, stoking the heat, choosing your book and waiting for your day.

Did I mention you'll need chocolate?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Otis Maximus
Vessel Model: Seasport Navigator
Quote:
VHF wx broadcasts are spotty.

Windy.com is your best source of weather if you can get internet. Wifi is pretty scarce, but there is a lot of cell, even in some pretty remote areas. Both ATT and Verizon offer plans which include voice and data in Canada. Then hotspot your phone for weather.

Then it's just a matter of putting on your jammies, stoking the heat, choosing your book and waiting for your day.

Did I mention you'll need chocolate?
Windy.com thanks, that's what I was looking for. And yes chocolate in the liquid from!
otis maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
We're drifting south from Desolation Sound, with Ganges likely for Friday-Sat. 7-8.

Bill & Gina

If we make it there, Iíll try and look you up!

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #39
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis maximus View Post
...And yes chocolate in the liquid from!
My regular go-to hot drink of choice aboard is rather vile, but works: two spoonfuls of hot chocolate and one of instant coffee.

If it’s really cold & nasty outside I’ll ramp it up by making a cup of Jump Up Go Go, which was invented when I didn’t want to get out of my sleeping bag while camping at -20C.

Start by making a cup of spearmint tea, then add two spoonfuls of hot chocolate, then one spoonful of instant coffee, then melt in 1/3 of a Mars Bar. That’ll get you out there to chip ice or shovel snow
Old 08-30-2018, 02:10 AM   #40
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
Murray, As I was growing up I was taught that the PNW went from Oregon to Alaska and everything in between.
You mean it doesn't?

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote