PNW, 6-8 Weeks charter this year.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drumbeat

Hi Folks,
Long shot, long story, but short version.
We had a bucket list which involved taking a RTW trip with our own boat to include the PNW.
Time and Covid now injects some realism based on years available.
We want to charter a boat to cruise PNW (ideally Sitka region) for 4-8 weeks this summer.
We can sail (own 60' boat, Yachtmaster Ocean) we can motor (commercial 128 passenger skipper) but we need to get the PNW off our bucket list so that we can then retire into European waterways - does anyone have / know of anything available?
Not looking for a cheapo, straight cash, but a boat-swap in Europe is also
a possibility.
Thanks
Steve

You might get more response by targeting charterers in SE AK than the PNW. Those latter will have at least a week each way to get up there from the PNW. Even SW BC is a long way from SE AK.
I Googled SE Alaska Yacht Charters and some turned up.

It would be good to clarify if you want to do the Inside Passage or just SE Alaska. For the inside and time in Alaska might be able to do a one-way charter. This boat owner has chartered his boat out for one-way Alaska charters https://www.crownyachtcharters.com/40-fathom In essence somebody charters it for a trip up or down with play time in Alaska. Then the owner does the other leg and spends time in Alaska. Talk to Larry at Crown Yacht Charters.

For just Alaska there are flotillas that go up and down but you can book weeks just in Alaska. https://www.nwexplorations.com/flotillas/ A charter company in Alaska would probably be best if just trying to stay there. I don't know of any companies up there but I am sure they exist.

A charter operator in Bellingham WA, NW Explorations, runs flotilla bare-boat charters to SE AK and back. Most of the boats are Grand Banks. In addition to the up and down trips, they charter the boats while they are in Alaska....you would fly there to meet the boat. You might see if what they have to offer is appealing. I know NWX and moor my boat near their docks. It's a well-run operation.

We did a one way charter one way, Ketchikan to Anacortes via glacier bay on a Fathom 40 a few years ago. That boat might still be available as a private charter.
PM me if interested.

Yes there are some similaritiesView attachment 127971 20180713_162736.jpg

A charter operator in Bellingham WA, NW Explorations, runs flotilla bare-boat charters to SE AK and back. Most of the boats are Grand Banks. In addition to the up and down trips, they charter the boats while they are in Alaska....you would fly there to meet the boat. You might see if what they have to offer is appealing. I know NWX and moor my boat near their docks. It's a well-run operation.

This, and they currently have some very nice vessels available.

Nice photo darkside, that's the Fathom I know about that does one-way charters. It's a pretty slick way to do the Inside Passage.

Certainly is. Excellent pilothouse for a 40', great for wildlife viewing and all the magnificent scenery. The boat never missed a beat while we had her.
The only thing we found strange was the house batteries didn't charge off the main, you had to run the generator for that.

Thank you very much for the replies folks - please excuse my ignorance on the exact delineation between PNW and SE Alaska, as a mere Limey I've been struggling to even work out which bits are in the US and which are Canada!
I have looked at the Bellingham companies and I will now look into that Fathom which looks ideal but, in parallel with this I'll keep looking for something further north.
We are very flexible but the wildlife is the big reason for us to travel such a distance - no point in hanging about marinas and tourist hotspots and we can do the fjords and glaciers in Norway on our own boat.
I'll keep researching and will revert with any further questions if I may.
Thanks again,
Steve

- please excuse my ignorance on the exact delineation between PNW and SE Alaska, as a mere Limey I've been struggling to even work out which bits are in the US and which are Canada!

Bellingham Washington is in the Northwest corner of the lower 48 United States. Vancouver British Columbia is in the Southwest corner of Canada.

If you dig out a map, you will see that Southeast Alaska (SEA) is just that, the southeastern portion of the US State of Alaska and for this discussion, the only true descriptor.

Next you can clearly see the border which separates Canada from the lower 48 US States and the border separating Canada from Alaska.

Now comes the “Pacific Northwest” (PNW) a truly fictional imaginary place, but fixed and believable in the minds of most Americans and which they are continuously imposing on Canadians and in fact the rest of the world, as they are wont to do.

If you wish to apply it logically, then the PNW is the Northwest corner of the United States. It cannot be the Northwest corner of North America because logically, that would be Alaska, which might be why you are confused and why Alaskans, being intelligent independent thinkers, don't want to be lumped in with the PNW alias.

The Pacific Ocean is divided into N, E, S and W, then further into NE SW and so on.

The entire coast of the Americas from Ecuador to the Bering Sea is the Northeast Pacific Ocean.

The entire coast of Asia from Indonesia to the Bering Sea is the Northwest Pacific Ocean or the real Pacific Northwest.

The North American Pacific coastline encompasses the US west coast, of which the fictitious PNW is a part, the Canadian West Coast, or more specifically the British Columbia west coast, Southeast Alaska, and Alaska.

So, as much as some would like us to adapt to some impossible reality, the PNW remains a US make believe, just like the world series and buffalo wings.

Attachments

• US CA.jpg
    US CA.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Pacific Ocean.png
    Pacific Ocean.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Wait. One more time. Explain why Canadians don’t think they live on an American continent? :)

To the OP, at first glance I though you were going to be like some of my other friend across the pond. “We’re coming to visit next year.” “We want to see New York, Florida, the Grand Canyon and then Seattle”. “We’re going to rent a car in New York and maybe see you in Seattle in 4 or 5 days, flying home on day 6.”…”might stay another day to see Texas.”

I’ve been cruising BC Canada for over 25 years and I’ve not seen even half of it and I tire of almost none of it. Like most cruising trips, my advice to most folks is to slow down. Do less. You will ultimately see so much more. It’s kind of the equivalent to a long road trip, you really only get to know a bunch of restaurants and gas stations. Kind of like saying that I’ve seen Japan from my stop in the airport.

Pick a much smaller area. Find good anchorages, find opportunities to stay for two nights and spend a whole day there. Explore with a kayak or dinghy. Visit a small nearby town. Visit other boats in the anchorage. Talk to the locals and if they invite you or suggest something, go. Fish. Crab. Late afternoon the wind often kicks up and just before the sun sets it dies completely. Load up the dinghy just before sunset, head out of the anchorage into the main channel, shut off the engine, marvel at the calm water and just drift as the sun goes down. If you get lucky, maybe a whale passes by at a boats length.

The next anchorage will be different in so many ways, but could be but only a mile away. You miss so much when your goal is to travel a great distance.

Wait. One more time. Explain why Canadians don’t think they live on an American continent?

Ok, I’ve never heard that, but I’ll play.
Why to most United States folks claim to be Americans but say people from Mexico aren’t?

The rest of you essay, I agree with.

Take your time exploring BC.
With 14,000 NM of coastline, much of it not accessible to the common recreational boater for 9 months of the year, you never will see it all.

Everyone has their favorite spot, be it July or January, often determined by how many from an American continent are there. :D

Last edited:
Ok, I’ve never heard that, but I’ll play.

Why to most United States folks claim to be Americans but say people from Mexico aren’t?

The rest of you essay, I agree with.

Take your time exploring BC.

With 14,000 NM of coastline, much of it not accessible to the common recreational boater for 9 months of the year, you never will see it all.

Everyone has their favorite spot, be it July or January, often determined by how many from an American continent are there. :D

I’m not sure how to express it without being silly, but somewhere deep down I actually share your disdain, irony and all.

I’ve lived in Alaska for almost 40 years and in Western Washington before that. I’ve always thought the Pacific Northwest (never heard the acronym PNW used before coming here) referred to the NW portion of the North American continent — Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. Especially the coastal regions of those states/provinces, characterized by a maritime climate, interdependence on the ocean, and an indigenous population that shares many cultural features among the different tribes or bands.

Although it is true that Alaskans are fiercely independent, I’m not sure most care too much about whether they are included in the term “PNW”.

I didn’t realize the term raised such hackles in Canada. The region shares a lot of common characteristics in common, and it makes sense to invent a term to describe it. If you don’t like PNW, why don’t you think of another one. Not liking the term doesn’t make references to the region “fictional.”

I didn’t realize the term raised such hackles in Canada.

But really, who in BC wants to be associated with Seattle "stuff."

Within BC there are geographical and philosophical divisions too. It is the nature of all things human. Eastern vs Western Canada, Vancouver Island vs the Mainland, Hornby vs Denman Island, Liberals vs Conservatives, etc - the list is endless.

Over half a century ago when I first started working in BC my buddies were tough on Yankees, especially when I made the mistake of entering through the ladies door into the pubs. One thing I quickly figured out though, some Canadians are great baiters and enjoy the repartee, not easily done or worthwhile on the internet. A beer and chips works wonders.

EDIT
For fun I just read Wikipedia. It indeed lists BC as part of the PNW acronym.

Last edited:
If you don’t like PNW, why don’t you think of another one.

We did that, long before PNW became a twitter acronym.
We chose the BC South, Central and North coasts.

Unlike Alaska, we fought for our independence and are still doing so.

You got me thinking though, it’s been a while since I was in the Pacific Southwest, so maybe I should go visit friends in Coronado and Tijuana.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the show as y'all demonstrate your exceptional knowledge of history and geography.

I’m done. Sorry to the OP for my part in hijacking his thread. Hope your charter plans work out, PM me if I can help with any specific questions about cruising in SE AK.

Oops, I sincerely apologise! I was asking a question about a 6-8 week charter and had absolutely no idea that my naively worded question had any geopolitical connotations!
I really do not want to be sidetracked on this, but to clear up a couple of points raised;
1. Thank you to Comodave for welcoming me to the forum - even though I have been registered and 'Lurking' on here for 9 years or so.
2. Thank you to soin2la for the map and the explanations - a picture paints a thousand words.
3. Thank you to ghost for the cruising advice, you can relax as to your comments about;
“We’re coming to visit next year.” “We want to see New York, Florida, the Grand Canyon and then Seattle”. “We’re going to rent a car in New York and maybe see you in Seattle in 4 or 5 days, flying home on day 6.”…”might stay another day to see Texas.”

As it happens, we've done New York, as well as New York State, the St. Lawrence and lakes, been a super yacht skipper out of Ft. Lauderdale for a few years, done every east coast state from the east Canadian border to Texas, and done New Foundland including the Cabot trail and Iceberg ally. My wife was born in Dayton Ohio, her father having been in the same West Point class as Buzz Aldrin. She graduated high school in California.

But, despite the above, I know little if anything about the possibility of a 6-8 week charter in the coastal region of the west coast of Canada and the west coast of USA including Alaska and I am extremely grateful for the kind advice so far proffered and would gladly welcome more of the same.
Warm regards,
Steve

Last edited:
Mr. Drumbeat, sorry for getting your thread off track. I too hope to cruise the upper west coast of Washington, the western coast of British Columbia and southeast Alaska and hopefully Prince William Sound. I would settle for North or South bound. Our boat currently is docked just a few miles downstream of West Point waiting for the canals to open.

You might also check Anacortes Yacht Charter.

drumbeat, regardless of geographical acronyms I consider the Inside Passage route as bucket list of worthy cruising grounds. As you map out your options think about how much you want to travel each day vs. days exploring one area. From Anacortes in Washington State to Skagway Alaska it is roughly 1,000 miles. It's a material difference if you start from Washington State and cruise to Alaska vs. start and stay in Alaska, this is probably one of your key planning decisions to make. The other component to factor in is weather, sometimes a weather system will move in and you may need to stay in a safe anchorage for a few days before moving on. So plan on losing some time to weather.

Tony Fleming has a collection of videos on the Fleming channel that documents his travels in the region. Here are a few that may be helpful.
Good teaser video.
Intro shows what you can do if you have time on your side, on the channel there is a series labelled "Exploring the Inside Passage" that go into more detail.

Thank you RedRascal - you are absolutely correct about the travelling times which is why I said 'ideally Sitka' in my opening post - my fixation on Sitka came specifically from one of Tony Flemings videos so again you are spot on.
I've watched all of Tony's videos (some many times) even to the extent of his photography and video editing 'how to's - I've sailed and motored around much of the world's oceans but the BC and Alaskan coasts remain an itch that I have to scratch whilst I'm still able to.
Steve

My wife, and I consider Sitka our home town. We are coincidentally leaving Washington State tomorrow, and slowly making our way to Sitka. We expect to arrive mid to late June. If you do manage to find a charter opportunity feel free to get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom