Phifertex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 7 coverings with 4 snaps each. Have seen 60 mph+ sustained winds on 4 occasions with no issue

BigTime, you seem to be in the minority by installing them inside. I think that inside would be a better solution for me for a number of reasons, but I'm wondering how effective it is in reducing the solar gain (compared to mounting outside).

I see you are in sunny Florida - do you feel the inside mounting does as effective a job at reducing heat as when you had them outside??

If there is a difference it is slight, in fact it seems like there is less heat radiating from the glass with the material inside.My biggest plus besides the boat looking better inside and out is that with our daily rains it does not block my vision. I will be able to run down to the lower helm in a nasty storm and operate the boat and the wipers without removing the screens.

I will be able to run down to the lower helm in a nasty storm and operate the boat and the wipers without removing the screens.
Yeah, I get some folks take different approaches to things, but this seems like a phenomenally bad plan. Why restrict your vision with *anything* on the front glass? I'll accept some might be ok with restricted views on the sides, or astern, but OUT THE FRONT? That just does not seem at all sensible, especially not in rainy or rough conditions.

I used to be in the sail/canvas business and found in high UV conditions (i.e., Florida/Caribbean) that textilene held up much better than phifertex.

Yeah, I get some folks take different approaches to things, but this seems like a phenomenally bad plan. Why restrict your vision with *anything* on the front glass? I'll accept some might be ok with restricted views on the sides, or astern, but OUT THE FRONT? That just does not seem at all sensible, especially not in rainy or rough conditions.

HELLO, The interior screens are right in front of my face when at the helm. I can remove them as easily as removing my sunglasses.

Here are my white phifertex window cover I made 19 years ago. The ones for the pilothouse windows were off when I took the picture.

The covers are installed before Memorial Day and taken off at the end of October.

They get washed with a bleach and soap solution after removal and stored rolled.

Attachments

• 20190720_101406.jpg
    20190720_101406.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 32
Hmmm...don't know why I didn't think about calling them. That's a smart move.

I agree that reflecting light before it is absorbed through the glass is the best approach to reduce solar gain - I'd call that a fact. It also leaves the material in the weather and I believe it would require screw in snaps (which I like to avoid). Putting them inside is less effective in preventing solar gain, but the material lasts longer, doesn't need to be removed in a storm, and I could use adhesive backed snaps. All these are positives to me and it should still provide SOME benefit in reducing heat.

So I'm trying to find the best compromise for me: best solar reflection but having the material in the weather or lower solar reflection and material kept inside. That's why I'm curious to hear from people who have it on the inside - are they happy with their choice or regretting it?

Even though I have my Solitis 86 shades installed on the inside of my boat I reason that they would almost certainly be more effective from a heat gain perspective installed on the exterior of the glass. Even living in Florida , interior heat gain is not my sole objective. This discussion has prompted me to take some temperature reading today.
My last two screens were installed today on my 2 sliding cabin doors. Because there is very little clearance when opening these sliders the screens had to be installed directly to the inside of the glass in the recess of the door glass. I used glue on snaps. The screens on all the other glass are installed on the interior teak glass frames approximately 1 1/4" inboard of the glass. As the days wore on and the July Florida sun beat down I would like to share what I discovered.

With full sun on my glass the exterior glass temp was 120* Interior glass temp was 111* (all my glass is lightly tinted & my AC has been set at 77* for the 2 weeks since I last left the dock.) The interior temp of the Solitis 86 that was attached directly to the interior of the glass was 102* while 10" away under exactly the same circumstances the interior temp of the mesh that had a 1 1/4" airspace inboard of the glass was 87*

With a bit of planning it is possible to make shades which van be mounted inside or outside.

In heat outside is best as the material wil absorb the heat and then radiate it outside the boat. When cool, mounted inside the material will radiate the heat where you can enjoy it.

We rig our set inside during the summer hurricane season, were not on board extra heat is no hassle , and there still in place in the fall, blocking the UV from the cabin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom