PEX plumbing fittings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I replumbed a 46’ that we used to own from copper to pex. I used Sea Tech, now has a new name, and it was great. Push to install and you could disassemble it by pushing on a ring, if I remember. It came in red, blue and white. I used red and blue and then white for sea water wash down. It is difficult to work with if you buy it off a spool. I ordered 10’ straight sticks and it was simple to use.

We did a pex upgrade

My 84 Manatee had original copper pipes. They were leaking in 5 places when we purchased the boat last year. We replaced the entire plumbing with pex and sharkbite fittings. It was a full weekend project for 2 people.

It works great and we have had no issues with it. If you choose that route i think you will be happy with your choice.

As a contractor we used iron galvanized iron pipe and when copper came to the scene it was a blessing then years later we started seeing pin hole leaks in the copper. The copper associations do a good job of not letting the public know but all you have to do is google pin hole leaks and you will see. Now we use all wirsbo and only allow copper if we need to hang something. Its seems to vary with water supply systems but it seems more prevalent with well supplys versus reservoirs . I have seen homes that had to be re-piped or in some cases epoxy lined.

As a contractor we used iron galvanized iron pipe and when copper came to the scene it was a blessing then years later we started seeing pin hole leaks in the copper. The copper associations do a good job of not letting the public know but all you have to do is google pin hole leaks and you will see. Now we use all wirsbo and only allow copper if we need to hang something. Its seems to vary with water supply systems but it seems more prevalent with well supplys versus reservoirs . I have seen homes that had to be re-piped or in some cases epoxy lined.
+ + +
In our S&B with all copper I have had to replace many horizontal sections with leaks. We do have well water and get some iron flakes from the well casing that I think is the problem. I have had a whole house filter on it for years but still get leaks. SharkBites and PEX make for easy repairs.

Vote for pex. Go to pex.com for your supply ,they have everything you need. Fittings are cheaper than HD or Lowes and tool also. You can get fittings that will adapt with your copper if you need to .

Pex all the way for freshwater. My son plumbed a 95’ trawler. For Salt water every fitting failed, fresh water is 100% good.

+ + +
In our S&B with all copper I have had to replace many horizontal sections with leaks. We do have well water and get some iron flakes from the well casing that I think is the problem. I have had a whole house filter on it for years but still get leaks. SharkBites and PEX make for easy repairs.

Have you checked the ph level of your well water? Should be 6.5 -8.5. I have had well water all of my life. In the new house we had very acidic water that would eat through the copper. You could taste the copper with your first glass of water in the morning. A whole house filter won’t necessarily change the ph level. I added a tank and pump that injects soda ash (to neutralize the acid) into the water. Very easy fix.

I have found that the PEX fittings with the SS crimps can be rotated after crimping (and continue leak free).

Nick

1980's era wolverine copper?

As I stated above. It’s the acidity in the well water. It’s very common. Been there done that. If you know someone with that issue have the ph level checked.
that W pipe I mention was used for short time in new construction 80's and failed early compared to others till in use. i am talking condo buildings here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom